Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2017 LA Roadster show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

I don't care about any of you guys Bitchin'. I am Jealous of you that got to go to this show.
    I Like this one.

[​IMG]

tofords and exterminator like this.
  2. You're flogging a lame horse Don. I completely agree with you, but the bottom line here is bitchers are going to bitch. It was not exactly as it has been for decades, so that's reason enough for bitchers to jump on the band wagon and seemingly make it their mission to cause the show to close down. I guess then they can find a new cause to bitch about. Fuck, this is getting old!!

3. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Are you actually working for John Buck Inc ?? because I don't understand the fan club mentality to help an individual become wealthy from everyone else's hard work and efforts.

I don't know anyone who spends more than $10 for dinner......

I think if you had more information and knew more about what was really going on, you might feel differently in your opinions.

Just my .02

uncle buck likes this.
  4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I have been an active participant at the LA Roadster Show for 47 years. I don't even know if John Buck is that old ! I would like to see the show continue & prosper. I will continue to go & enjoy what ever the show has to offer . . . .

seadog, Hamtown Al, tofords and 2 others like this.
  5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Where are you eating dinner for $10? McDonald's off the value menu? I have no dog in this fight, but kind of ridiculous to see some of the stuff being said about why they think everyone should hate John Buck and that he should not make money off LARS! In what alternate universe do you think someone should do this just for the hell of it?

6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

So, please enlighten me with the information you have, so I can know "what was really going on "

Hamtown Al and Dean Lowe like this.
  7. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Whole Foods cost me under $10 for organic salad/protien and drink if you really need to know where to find healthy food.....

No problems with someone running it right, that's what this is about. It doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out that John Bucks formula for this year, was way off the charts for being productive and having entertainment value.

8. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I posted this info in the other thread - you already responded to it.

9. Agree.....It was different but I still had a great time.....

10. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Well . . . I went back to the other thread & re-read your posts. Lot's of speculation & complaining. Not much else.

11. But now we know where to eat cheap. :rolleyes:

12. I don't think I would call his answer "going out to dinner" which is what PWood's comment was. Hell, I don't think the wife and I have spent less than $75.00 for dinner out in years. LOL

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Costco - 2 hot dogs, 2 sodas and a Strawberry Sunday for under 5 bucks!!!!!!!!!!

14. That's a night out for dinner? You romantic devil.

15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Now I understand what his problem is, if I was going out to eat, and all I got is an organic salad/protein and a drink I'd be grumpy too!

tofords, Hyfire, Special Ed and 6 others like this.
  16. [​IMG]

Enough already.......Its John Bucks deal now and we can all wait until next year to see if he can turn it around. The high point was the 50th and its been slipping since due to a number of factors (demographics, hot weather, etc) out of their control ever since, but their actions have made it decidedly worse.

I'm going to hope for the best and that he will be able to change the negative perception of the show that he and the club are largely responsible for.

Go back to the beginning of this thread and read my posts about keeping the LA Roadsters "traditions" alive and promoting the example of individual involvement in the club by all of us to make it better like the MSRA's Back to the 50's. I would gladly pay a small yearly associate membership dues and volunteer one shift to work at the show to keep it going. It works. Our local show, the Prescott Antique Auto Club Watson Lake Show and Swap is thriving because it welcomes everyone and is a member centric organization. http://www.paacaz.com/

This is what success looks like .............

It’s over! It was that “WOW” factor!
    What a fantastic Back To The 50s!
    11,680 REGISTERED VEHICLES!!

THANK YOU to the 1,900+ volunteers who worked over 4,000 shifts to make this event the best for all the attendees!
    THANK YOU to the 11,680 registered participants!
    THANK YOU to all the spectators who come each and every year, and to those first-time attendees who have looks of “WOW, I never expected all this!” on their faces!
    THANK YOU to the Sponsors! Your support is valued and appreciated!
    ….... and behind the scenes making it all come together …...
    THANK YOU to the Board of Directors, and to all the dedicated and enthusiastic Committees Chairs and their incredible teams who put in months, weeks, and hundreds of hours to have Back To The 50’s run as smoothly as possible.
    THANK YOU! Many – many Thank You’s go out to many-many people!

On the cover of the MSRA monthly LineChaser is a special byline which reads Friends+Food+Fun+Fellowship. YOU are the “+” in the classic car community and we THANK YOU!

https://msrabacktothe50s.com/

It certainly isn't dying in Minnesota! Why can't California, the birthplace of Hot Rodding do this and do it even better? The Fairplex venue is great and LA is the center of a strong car culture. Its all there, except for the right attitude.

Face it, this years change generated a negative impression that did keep the roadsters, specialty cars, swappers and attendance down, and that all adds up to killing the gate, which will kill the show because that is where the money is. Like I've said before, perception is your reality! With all the hot rod shows on television it is obvious there is a large audience out there that could be tapped. Its a perception and promotion problem that needs to be solved. In the end it is a business, and this business model is failing.

I'll be there until the end but so far it looks like its strike one.............

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for a sensible explanation!----Not to mention that we are all getting older!----I was pooped after returning home in Bend, Oregon---2439. miles traveled all Topless!---Rain, Snow, & hot sun!

18. You are livin the Roadster life !!!

19. ratman

ratman

I flew 12 hours from New Zealand to The USA in a seat designed for a fucking midget. Stayed at Best Western San Dimas meet a shit load of cool car guys and meet some great Americans.
    Went to the swapmeet visited American Rebels stand got some wheels went to the Coker stand got some tires.
    Had a cold beer ate a hot dog. Bought some parts from a few people in the swapmeet soaked up the atmosphere and HAD A FUCKING BLAST.
    When all you guys that complain get over boycotting and moaning the show will be dead and gone and then you will have something to cry about.

USER pays so if you use get your wallet out and pay.

20. Way to go Don! You are the real deal roadster guy that's been doing it this way since the 60's. Everyone needs to follow your tracks and drive the wheels off a roadster and it looks like its keeping you young My hat is off to you!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Hamtown Al, 296ardun, tofords and 2 others like this.
  21. And an attitude like yours will keep it going! Thanks!!!!

22. People you guys are killing me. I just wanted to show what was there not start a shit show about what was good or bad or fair or not fair. I will always go to this show until its not around anymore. Its the best hot rod swap meet anywhere for the type of parts or cars I like. Most car swap meets don't have the hot rod parts anymore so its become the swap meet I most look forward too.

tofords and hotroddon like this.
  23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too Pete!!

willysguy likes this.
  24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamtown Al likes this.
  25. Lil32

Lil32

Wife and I fly over every year for the Show.Wife plans a road trip before LARS so this year we travelled Oregon, by end of our stay we drove over 4000 mile, this year one of our daughters said "Dad ,you took us to Disney when I was 10yo so now I am 39yo I want to relive Disney and will you take me to LARS, you tell me so much about it.
    Bought our tickets in Red Bluff from OReilly Auto Parts to get discount.
    Told daughter we leave motel at 7am for LARS,park off Whites Road, shit no spectators cars, no Club members selling tickets at gate, man there had no clue about our OReilly tickets, no show Magazine,
    walked down to buy our show merchandise ,only a few roadster in side alleys, bought our gear and returned it to car so not to have to carry it all day.
    Turned right at merchandise tent towards swap meet, shit still hardly any cars, long walk to swap.lack
    of toilets and no trolley bus,
    Told daughter after a look at swap, would show her the Special area cars and see can see some coupes like our, very small numbers, had a Pinks Hot Dog and coffee
    Lets go to Trade Hall 4
    Shit only 1/2 full, roadsters used to fill remainder of hall
    My daughter had not been before so she enjoyed Dad's hobby but wife and I were disappointed in lack of event,glad we did not buy two day tickets, saturday to us looked like previous years sunday shows.
    Sunday we took ourselves out to Pismo Beach {where we were surprised to see a big car show in main streets} then onto Solvang {450 miles covered}
    Yes it was warm, yes a lot of people bad mouthed price rise, do they hate Mr Buck ,
    is this why people stayed away in droves
    Wife asked"darling what will we do next year"
    We will most likely do it again, will wait to see if many changes take place
    Noel and Elaine

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correction-----Hollywood bowl parking lot to Great Western Exhibition to L.A. County Fairgrounds in 1980. 19437309_1433863333360560_3323344191148891112_n.jpg

exterminator and Special Ed like this.
  27. And ya got to see me Noel LOL Thanx 4 the plate mate

28. tofords

tofords

All the L.A. Roadster members thank you, to all that supported 2017 L.A.Roadster show. You make the show not just the L.A. Members and John Buck. Thanks for this year and all 50+ years

29. Nice quote from the Other thread!

Dean Lowe likes this.
  30. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember the first one??? 11836722_10207573362323081_3615638655477126860_n.jpg 11986455_10207573362283080_7031355879087979166_n.jpg 11836722_10207573362323081_3615638655477126860_n.jpg First LAR show July 31,1960 Hollywood Bowl parking lot.jpg 11836722_10207573362323081_3615638655477126860_n.jpg 11986455_10207573362283080_7031355879087979166_n.jpg 12043025_10207573362243079_4792327418305120275_n.jpg 18402737_1385970871483140_7228480254788255982_n.jpg First LAR show July 31,1960 Hollywood Bowl parking lot.jpg