Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Pendine Sands Hot Rod Races 2017

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Juggler, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Juggler

Juggler

So it's that time of year again when the VHRA put on the Pendine Sands Hot Rod Races on the sand at Pendine Beach in South Wales, UK

Too tired too sun/wind burnt to do much other than post a few pics and say a heartfelt thanks to the VHRA, Neil and the Sidewinders for putting on another massive weekend that saw records fall like ninepins. You really had to have been there, and if you weren't, put on the bucket list for 2018

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come when I get home

Cheers

Juggs

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Muttley, clunker, 55zephyr and 11 others like this.
  2. Some nice hot rods ya'll got over there,thanks.

3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Thanks for the photos! Looks like a great time, you guys have it figured out.

Saw the YouTube video posted yesterday of the parade, like a day back in time...

4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Thanks for the great pictures

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

single seaters and #27 34 Hot stuff.
    Thanks, any videos?

6. reefer

reefer

Plenty of footage on youtube....just put in Pendine Hotrods 2017.....

Max Gearhead likes this.
  7. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Thanks for posting

8. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Love that #33 Thanks for posting.

9. nutrocker

nutrocker

Nice one Juggs, and good pic of mine.

Juggler likes this.
  10. Cheers for the pics,on the list!

11. Very nice! we gotta get that going in the states. :)

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very Cool - Thanks

13. Juggler

Juggler

Here you go Fuggles - I got your best side :):):)

[​IMG]

nutrocker likes this.
  14. Can't wait to see more.....

15. Juggler

Juggler

So back home - vids uploading so some more pics

Didn't get the camera out on Saturday, too much catching up with people, looking at cars I'd not seen before, making new friends and having a few beers with some old ones

Sunday started out wet, meaning a delayed call down from the assembly point by the Speed Museum (Pendine Sands home of the Land Speed Record in the 20's).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rain backed off and we all got down on the sand late morning. Tide out but course still very wet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some standing about

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually the Clerk of the Course (Neil) and the Head Starter (Marco) decided it was safe to race and we were off. A dry line soon appeared and a brisk tail wind certainly helped. Records fell (and some smashed) and personal bests bettered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The times will be up soon on the VHRA website. FTD and Course record now over 127mph. Fastest 4 banger over 112!

Vids soon

Cheers

Juggs

waxhead likes this.
  16. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Great pics, thanks for posting. Lots of great looking cars there as well as the 'usual suspects'

17. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Fantastic weekend, thanks for posting the pics. Managed to squeeze 83mph out of my flattie roadster on the sand..not gunna set the world on fire, but I was hoping for 80 this year so I'm very happy with that. Huge thanks to Neil (VHRA) & the Sidewinders and all involved.

18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Amazing.Thanks for the pics.

19. Juggler

Juggler

Atwater Mike and Nobey like this.
  20. So how wet was the sand? Left the Fordor running whilst we set up the timing gear...

[​IMG]

Didn't get to take many pictures this year as I was a bit busy with the timing gear. Had our first push started sprint car - rolling to 100mph in one gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple of pictures of the fastest four banger on the sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Convoyed down with this rather handsome A400 running an overhead conversion and overdrive.

[​IMG]

Mental. Supercharged four banger - ran 89.9 on the Saturday but a misfire blew the pop-off valve seals.

[​IMG]

Startline Marco enjoying a well earned drive back down the beach.

[​IMG]

I brought my very own personal flag girl with me.

[​IMG]

So I let her have a little drive herself whilst we tidied up at the end of play...

[​IMG]

waxhead, Nobey, Juggler and 1 other person like this.
  21. Nobey

Nobey

Great fun, and great coverage, Thanks Guys.....

22. Juggler

Juggler

Some vids

HAL powered McDowell that did 112.9mph. Much respect

Brian's banger powered A400 with GEM ohv conversion

Didn't get any vid of Jamie's car on the sand, but did get this. Mental is right

And traditional mass run back to start line after last car through on Sunday, towing Dan's modified that had lost its crank pulley. Still went through the trap at 91.07!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    waxhead and Stovebolt like this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What an awesome event! Thanks so much for the pics and videos. I LOVE that the event includes OHV V-8's too instead of excluding them, that's the spirit! Good job VHRA!

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I believe this car belongs to a HAMBer, and there is a build thread on the top chop and also on the impeccably gorgeous chassis upgrade and Hemi engine swap.

[​IMG]

25. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

This event looks so cool! Thanks for the pics! Really dig that pair of Black and red Roadster Pickups!

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Unbelievable, the number of Sprints and modifieds there! Those Brit blokes are a-buildin'!
    Amazing what they have to go thru to get parts, even whole cars...I truly admire their dedication.

Blues4U likes this.
  27. headsoff

headsoff
    from Ely UK

A fine weekend. It just gets better and better.
    This event is now in its fifth year! Where did that time go?
    It's crossed my mind that there are more than a few parallels with the birth of hot rodding going on here
    . That's not taking things a bit too far, have a think about it. The event is a few hundred miles at least from most entrants. A very high percentage drive there and back. The German racers drove over for instance!
    Once there, the racers are all making it up as they go along! No book to follow, no catalog parts to tick off. It's all down to having a think, then putting that into practice. Hand cut rear tires (Redneck Dirt Trackers) are appearing, all kinds of cam and clutch ideas are being tried. Big gears, little gears, big cam, little cam, the ingenuity is all very reminiscent of the lakes back in the day. There is no established means of running on the sand over an ever changing course. It all has to be learned. Once the event is over, it's all about planning for next year and figuring out how to go faster. Sound familiar?
    Speeds are already on the rise. This years high number was 127 MPH!! Bear in mind the course is a half mile runup, a hundred yards timed, followed by far too short a braking distance. The course can't be longer, the sand gets very soft outside those distances. The time available to set up and tear down depends on the tides as well.
    If you like your Hot Rods raced and driven hard, the UK is not a bad place to be at the moment. That's a bit of Brit understatement going on there by the way. :)
    Tony.

28. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Don't know if Paul is on here, but from seeing this car in 'real life' several times, it certainly is a superb piece of work. Those blistered and louvred bonnet -sorry- hood sides look just as good on the unpainted inside as they do on the outside.

29. You guys sure know to have fun. Really nice cars over there guys. I, too, like that its an inclusive event. SBC, nailhead, A banger, flathead v8, hemi, Plymouth 6.