Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PAINTING OVER A REMBRANDT, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by els, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. els

els

VTjunk this is exactly what I am looking for. thank you. keep'm coming.

loudbang likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Here's my take on threads similar to this one...... it's your car and an extension of yourself. In other words stuff like this is a personal decision that only YOU can make because YOU'RE the one who'll have to live with it. So, do what pleases YOU. You'll never please anyone else and the "cool kids" couldn't give a damn.

If you still can't do it....... paint it PURPLE!

Also, if it wasn't painted by a WELL KNOWN painter, it can hardly be compared to a Rembrandt.:rolleyes:

els, clunker, mike 51 and 3 others like this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

I would paint that car if it was mine. I would not be sorry about it. Patina is just an excuse to not spend money, in most cases.
    It looks to me like it had a so-so paint job on it to start with. Nothing extreme. Take a bunch of detailed pics of the car as it is now. Easy to recreate if there ever is a need to.

els and BigDogSS like this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I vote to repaint it exactly as it was the first day it raced.
    Then do a wheel change.

els and Jalopy Joker like this.
  5. Just paint one side and leave the other as is. Park it with the untouched side toward the toilets at shows. The old guys will never see the new paint.:)

Seriously, I like the car a bunch.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Nostrebor, els, SquintBoy and 7 others like this.
  6. not a Rembrandt. staying this way cause I like it
    and yes painting it would cost a lot (and I paint)
    bus at rod run.jpg

els and wraymen like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

x2

x2

els, Model A John and anthony myrick like this.
  8. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

els, loudbang and bowie like this.
  9. trollst

trollst

I can identify, I built my 36 twenty years ago, it needs a change, but I won't change it because you can never go back......don't paint it, it won't be the same car. DSC06609.JPG DSC06618.JPG

els likes this.
  10. Larry T

Larry T

You've done the complete chassis, so it's not the way it was. Do what you want to do to it, it's just the next step in the car's history.

BTW, if a car is changed and then "restored" back to a previous version it's still just the NEXT step in the car's history. It will never be the way it was originally.

els and SquintBoy like this.
  11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've still got the 38 Chevy that I started on in the mid-70s, it was painted in the early 80s and does not look real good now. There are primer splotches on it and a myriad of scratches from when it was torn apart and parts were thrown up in the attic for storage. My neighbor across the street is a basecoat clearcoat guy, and he's diplomatic in his comments. His last old car was a stock 65 Thunderbird. My other neighbor has a beautiful 40 Ford coupe, SBC, flames, five speed and an older 50 Chevy gasser. He told me that it's perfect, there are memories in the scratched paint and primer splotches, its history the next guy, after I am dead, can paint it. That Corvette is perfect, don't erase its history.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

12. If it wasn't a record holder, and it isn't your name on it, and the L88 hood has to go (sorry), why not? What color was it originally? Just curious if it was red. What color/scheme appeals to you? Black with silver coves(?)

els likes this.
  13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If it was mine it would be Black, on Black, on Black before the end of next month. Make your own future with it, OR sell it and buy a '61-'62 with no rules to follow. I am sure Jim Dillon will show up shortly!

els, 117harv and 49ratfink like this.
  14. dan31

dan31

Ditch the hood,wheels and repaint with a red that pops a little. Maybe letter in gold leaf, just a thought. There must be a part of you that wants to repaint ,hence the thread.

els likes this.
  15. Taking into consideration the majority of peoples opinions, is a good thing if selling the car in the future is your goal.
    Keeping the car for you, forever, there's only one answer..what will put a smile on your face when you open the garage door? How about when you walk away from it, and take that second look?
    Hell, you already pissed off the Corvette purist..Don't concern yourself with other peoples opinions now.
    If you care, and you shouldn't..I'd leave it alone.

els and loudbang like this.
  16. I'd strip the body and repaint and add the graphics exactly like they were, the car now isn't the way it looked when first built as a racecar, just say'in. Getting my OT 1971 funny car back this weekend, stripping it and taking it back the way it was in 1971, 46 years ago!

els likes this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best suggestion out of the bunch is right there. You just aren't ready to paint it or it would already be repainted.
    I don't know the history of the car but to me it would have to have some serious race winning history to want to leave it as it is or maybe the local history and the attention it gets from the old guys around is enough to leave it as is. It isn't like the body will rust like a steel car would.

els likes this.
  18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Brigrat I saw this earlier and thought I should stay out of the fray on this one. Els seems like a good guy but I am living back in the era when they looked pretty nice. I don't ever remember seeing a MP Vette that didn't have a pretty good paint job. I'm a shiny paint guy anyways so for me to leave it there would have to be some pretty good history in its present livery (and even then I would have to "restore" those areas that have been the result of neglect).

els, loudbang and brigrat like this.
  19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

You could get this decal if leaving it the way it is or you could strip it and start from scratch and replicate everything. Swap the wheels to period correct for the time you are aiming for. By the sound of it, the car has been upgraded in the safety department and should be fun to drive upload_2017-6-27_11-12-8.jpeg

els likes this.
  20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not touched in 30 years makes it 1987. nothing much worthwhile happened in 1987, paint it.

I'm not seeing anything special you would be ruining by making the car nice.

els, X38, belair and 3 others like this.
  21. ken bogren

ken bogren

Yup.

As far as the younger folks, people often gain a greater appreciation and respect for history as they get older so there's a good chance they'll come around to liking the car in time.

els likes this.
  22. Yep, other than the year of the car, there's not much there that's 'traditional' enough for this site. Unless you have a 'connection' to the original owner/builder and/or the car was a record holder of some sort, lose the wheels and the hood and do a more period correct paint job on it. But in the end, it's your car, so do what you want....

And I wouldn't call that a Rembrandt, more like advertising flyer; that looks like a pretty plain, basic paint job when it was new.

els, X38 and 49ratfink like this.
  23. imho, that's not a Rembrandt, it's a paint job.

So, if you bought it to maintain its history, then don't change a thing (although some things have already been changed).

If you bought it to make it yours and enjoy, then make it yours and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els and 49ratfink like this.
  24. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

When you own a vintage car/truck like this you turn into "the care taker" with all do respect I don't see the "pride" in that unless you own a museum. After saying all that I wish it were mine!

els likes this.
  25. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

The trouble I see is that it's a betweener car. Kinda cool, but kinda dull at the same time. It has weathered it self pretty well. Yet it just doesn't jump out at ya'. If I were wanting to leave the paint, I might consider taking it to a good sign painter/striper. The lettering needs some contrast/outlining. Funk it up a bit. If you have it, I might also consider putting the chrome back on the cove, again, for contrast. This little Vette could really pop with a little effort.
    Ditch the wheels!!!

els likes this.
  26. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let the next owner paint it..

Donuts & Peelouts and els like this.
  27. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

save the old paint

els likes this.
  28. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Is the lettering painted on or is it vinyl stick on ? It looks like vinyl , and if it is do what ever you want because there isn't much to preserve there .

els likes this.
  29. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

els and bobss396 like this.
  30. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

At best touch it up. A good painter will touch it up and you would never know. Otherwise leave it.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.