Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PAINTING OVER A REMBRANDT, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by els, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. els

els

IMG_5377.jpg 0211171529b.jpg I have a 1962 C/MP corvette you have seen on the H.A.M.B. in other threads. I acquired it 15 years ago. I removed the body and had ROBERT NERIZ build the car safer and fresher. I installed the body that has not been touched for 30 some years. I have been to drag races and car shows with it. I have old times tell me how cool it is, and younger guys ask me when I am going to paint it. I am trying to keep it the REAL DEAL. The old timers remember the car and like it the way it is. I have won trophies for original car, but not for the way it looks. I want to make it cooler but I don't want to paint over a MONA LISA. Money is not an issue of painting it, we have plenty of money.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    turboroadster and loudbang like this.
  2. I am not sure I would call it a Rembrandt or a Mona Lisa :Dbut appreciate the history to it. If you want to give it more pizzazz maybe you could repaint it with a red that has some more pop to it (maybe a fine metal flake) and then have it re-lettered exactly like it is now to retain the history aspect of the car.

clem, Michael Crown, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  3. rjones35

rjones35

I wouldn't paint it at all, but that's me. You could always just paint it exactly like it is now.

els and 5window like this.
  4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Screw the young guys. Leave it. :)

5. 56shoebox

56shoebox

leave it as is. Who cares what the young guys think. They're all fucking know it alls anyway.

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Honestly though 30 years was like MC Hammer/ Debbie Gibson era... If it was Larry Watson it would be a different issue. I think Gene Winfield still paints if you want to turn this dilemma on its head :)

thunderbolt359, X38, Muttley and 8 others like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not original underneath as you have stated so whether you change its looks on the outside is your own call. I doubt it has a 291" under hood but if it does along with the 4 speed that was probably there when built the I would leave it alone.
    The purest is your only problem, not me for sure; do what you like....

TN2Lane and els like this.
  8. I would leave the paint that's on it. Not gonna be the same if you repaint and re-letter it.

loudbang, ctew, Montana1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Phil1934

Phil1934

If you can paint, do it. If not, it doesn't look $6K bad to me.

els likes this.
  10. els

els

yes the drivetrain, engine, rear diff, are all original to the car. nothing was changed but the frame was redone for safety. 291 cubic inch motor is the original motor.some say leave it, some say paint it. I will check back in a few weeks and read posts. you guys are awesome.

loudbang likes this.
  11. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can provide you an excellent argument to support either postion. :D Personally, I endorse procrastination: You can always paint it later, but you can't un-paint it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  12. its your car
    if ya like it, buff and detail it
    if not, paint it how ya like
    or split the difference and repaint it to look like it is now
    I vote candy and boat flake 60s gasser style

Crazy Steve, els and Max Gearhead like this.
  13. badvolvo

badvolvo

Leave the paint, spend the money on some old school wheels. Takes years to get the look of original patina, takes a day to eliminate the history.
    I have a 59 with old red paint. I always get asked when am i going to paint it. The answer is always the same, I like it this way. Lots of restored 59's, not so many worn like mine, not so many still willing to drag......

14. You could get a pro to repair/restore the original paint...

SquintBoy and els like this.
  15. pumpman

pumpman

Me, I'd leave it as is. But you have to live with yourself.

loudbang and els like this.
  16. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't touch it.

17. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

second the motion!

brad2v, loudbang and els like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I mean no disrespect, but I don't see it. It's a back halved car with weld wheels. I appreciate history as much as anyone, especially with old race cars, but it screams 1995 to me. That could be the next big craze, but I would paint that mutha.

fiveoh108, brad2v, kiwijeff and 9 others like this.
  19. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I think you should give it away, since "we have plenty of money".

kiwijeff, czuch, clunker and 6 others like this.
  20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd also leave it as it is, but it's your car, so do with it as you wish. I'd just maintain it, wouldn't 'restore' or 'freshen' it. Once you repaint, it's just another car with a story that might be true or might not.......

Just my 2¢

21. els

els

1964countrysedan. I am going to like your thread. VERY VERY FUNNY.

loudbang and czuch like this.
  22. els

els

So far all answers are just what I am looking for. keep them coming. I am liking all of your answers.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Don't touch nuthin'... except change out the wheels.

els and kiwijeff like this.
  24. silverdome

silverdome

I'd say leave it and since "we have plenty of money" send some that my way and spend some on the original build wheels.

els and TagMan like this.
  25. honestly, if the car was painted by a person I was close to (relative or friend) or if it was painted by someone famous like von Dutch, Larry Watson ..........I would probably leave it
    if not, feel free to do what ever floats you boat .......(definitely change the wheels, those will be traditional in another generation )

els likes this.
  26. Hyfire

Hyfire

Very cool car, no matter the era!

I'd put those wheels in storage and throw something a little more classic looking on. You can always put them back on when the 1980's "look" comes around and these trendy TROG guys move on to their pastel shirts with loafers.

Seriously though, cool car!

els, loudbang and clunker like this.
  27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally , I 'd leave the paint as is; you can't rewrite history.Don't know what wheels you ran back in the day; but I would go back to them. If the rear wells have been enlarged..they made some pretty huge x large Hals , that would look just plain wicked on her.

els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. vickckik

vickckik

If money's no object, buy a nice pretty Corvette that's just like all the other nice pretty Corvettes. There's only one '62 like yours and you own it.

els, loudbang, czuch and 1 other person like this.
  29. VTjunk

VTjunk

If you like it the way it is, don't paint it. Who cares what someone else thinks. Sounds like the majority says the same.

It earned the right to wear those blemishes.

els and loudbang like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.