Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs i feel stoopid, i need some advice, door stuck shut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, Jun 6, 2017.

1. tred

tred

yeah, that's what i was thinking, it doesn't look like the door can be removed simply by unbolting the hinges and fiddle fucking with it.
    damnit.

2. Let me know if you need/want help. I can be a second set of hands/eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using My Borg implant

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But, can you unbolt the hinges at all with the door shut? That might loosen it enough and give you the option to wiggle the door a bit more and free things up.

4. rjones35

rjones35

By this point I would have started poking around in there anywhere I could with a bent coat hanger or piece of metal or something just to see by chance if it would do something. After that, I would have drilled a hole in the door like Squirrel suggested a while back.

5. belair

belair

I like the freezing solution. If the parts will contact enough, maybe ..... . Then it's time for the nuke the mutha.

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Ok i lied i have another idea. I went out and looked at my truck. Can you get in the other side? If so mark on the hinges where you can line everything back up( drivers door). Take the bolts out of hinges. The top is behind the 12 x24 cardboard or what ever is there. 2nd you will have to take off bottom Access cover .. You may be able to just loosen the bolts, enough to slide door a little forward. Then use screwdriver to move the dovetail/latch part.I swear my passenger side would partially latch, and you could not open it at all.
    NEXT You may be able to use a drill and drill a hole on the small flange inside the cab where striker plate is(you can feel behind curve of cab where it is) and get punch/screwdriver in and push on dove tail.I wish i could send pics of where i'm talking about. TILL NEXT TIME.

7. I feel like some of us are trying harder than others..

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1964countrysedan likes this.
  8. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

if shimming the striker caused this, the door needs to move forward to get back enough room to open. I'd pull the hinges and pull the door away from the body, to get it forward a bit. if that didn't work, I would try the kick from the inside method. then the air chisel would come out.....
    <---Collision bodyman

9. spanners

spanners

I'm starting to think he really doesn't have a door problem, he's feeling lonely and wants to know people care.:D:D:D

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  10. inthweedz

inthweedz

It may sound dumb, but is it worth taking out the opposite door latch and check out which lever needs to be pulled or pushed to release the catch??

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    rjones35 likes this.
  11. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Unbelievable that this door is kicking the HAMBs ass! How about a port-a-power to spread the body apart just enough to give clearance to push it open. I feel for ya Tred!!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  12. tred

tred

i know what part of the latch needs to be moved, i have the original latch still for reference, i have tried holding the latch in various positions as i shove the door from the inside with my shoulder.
    i have had TWO hamb offers for people to come over and help, and as my buddy fell through and me trying stuff all on my own isn't working, i may take someone up on their offer. also note, i have not been doing anything during the week, i only have time on the weekends lately.
    i really feel in my guts that the shims behind the striker are the reason this happened, it's gotta be, even cheap chinese made door latches wouldn't just do this, right?

13. When a new problem shows up, go back to the last thing you fixed. SOOO
    You added shims and now the door won't open would be a good and plausible explanation.

Are '54 latches the same ?
    I have a 54 here that I can put up good pictures. The cabs door jamb construction blocks any pry bar from spreading the joint.

14. how did Socal open these doors from the outside?

15. Try jacking up the drivers front until the tire is off the ground, it might put enough twist in the cab to release it.

Bandit Billy and rjones35 like this.
  16. tred

tred

apparently, they just never locked the wing windows.
    reach through and grab the inside door handle.

17. For folks who lock their keys in the car, the locksmith has a rubber bubble they pump up to pry the door away from the jamb somewhere and hit the electric lock button. Would that help you in some way do ya think?

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: I guess as a final resort,a one ounce shaped charge of C4 or semtex might work:rolleyes::p.Ain`t working on the old stuff FUN?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 72 Camaro once that I crammed a 454 into and the damn doors wouldn't open after you jabbed the go pedal a few times. Like the Camaro, try twisting that frame in the opposite direction like was suggested above or the porta power. I like Squirrels idea if all else fails and I agree, no door handles never looked like a good idea to me either.

20. So.... still doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. tred

tred

i have been really sick for the last week and a half, missed a of of time from work, i enlisted the help of a buddy of mine, i'll update everyone soon, later this week probably.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  22. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Sick of messin with that door, maybe

Xoxo

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It's like waiting for a baby to be born. I wish you luck.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if ya got em , use em

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weld it shut. Call it the next big thing.

26. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

use a Sawzall inside the door jamb to cut the latch.
    Then replace all the "junk quality" repro parts.

Then fit door handle while you're at it :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    rjones35, BJR and pigfluxer like this.
  27. The rule, never lock your wind wing if you have shaved door handles, reach in and pull the handle on the inside. You can cut off the wind wing catch so it looks locked and you're set.

28. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Change it to right hand drive?

Toner283 likes this.
  29. There's a giant electromagnet in the B pillar holding the door shut. Lucky for you there'll be a total eclipse of the sun next month, park it in the direct path by 9am pst and it'll pop open like a 16 year old on prom night.

Petejoe likes this.
  30. BJR

BJR

5 pages and 149 posts on how to get a door open....... and it's still not open. What is happening to the HAMB?

tb33anda3rd likes this.