Register now to get rid of these ads!

JOE WILHELM CUSTOMS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldchevyseller, Aug 27, 2004.

1. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

in looking at the 57 chrysler post , i started looking at joe wilhelm's stuff, he did quite afew nice machines ,i like the WILD DREAM no round tub back end i like the swooped fins, any one have show pics of it? i cant quite figure the front end also, is this something that someo ne

is doing today? a coil sprung drop axle,dont know of any kits out there some one must be running a similar front, just looking to throw a few old ideas back into the ring

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

Even though the craftsmanship seems extraordinary, the car itself is kinda, well, ugly. A few tweaks could make it right-
    That's my opinion of said car. As far as the custom shop, I have to respect anybody who takes the time to put stuff like this together- no matter what the reception of the car may end up being.
    -Crew

3. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

yeah i think some changes, this could be a nice look, i do think

4. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

a coil sprung drop axle,dont know of any kits out there some one must be running a similar front, just looking to throw a few old ideas back into the ring

hello anyone?

5. Mutt

Mutt

I know of two cars with coil spring straight axles - a '32 Chev coupe, and a T-bucket. Neither looked very good because of the bulk. I believe Speedway has, or used to have, the buckets and springs. Both owners expressed a desire to change to coilovers or transverse spring. I believe both were tube axles, also.

Mutt

6. cabong

cabong

I realize it's been a while since you posted this comment on the 'Wild Dream', but thought I'd respond. The car is different by todays standards, but in 1968 it was nice enough to win the AMBR trophy at the Oakland Roadster show. It had some changes made since the purple rendition, primarily in the grille. People told Joe it looked like a '32 ford, and he had had fabricated it, so he changes the looks. It was gold in 1968. Interestingly, it was shown in '63 or '64, and would have won, but at the time it didn't run, and that was manditory to win the AMBR. The reason it didn't run was that he had not completed the intake manifold, which had 2 side draft carbs tucked into the valley space, similar to the Ford Y-block unit used on boats. The intire car was hand fabricated, with the body being all aluminum. It had a small block chev and 4-speed. The car is still owned by the person that had commissioned Joe to build it. I had the good fortune of taking the car to the 50th Roadster show aniversary in '99. It remains unchanged and in excellent condition.

HEMI32 likes this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Old post revived! Where is this car now? Anyone know? I know there were model kits of it by AMT / MPC back in the day. I always like it and the other open wheel styled "show rods." Too bad we don't see more of them now. Gary

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bump for the cronically bored. Any ideas where this car is? Or was, last time seen in public? Gary

9. It showed up on the "book of face" today ... still in its circa 1968 "Gold" paint:

Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream June 2017 - Jeff Cimoli (1).jpg
    Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream June 2017 - Jeff Cimoli (2).jpg
    Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream June 2017 - Jeff Cimoli (3).jpg
    Photos by Jeff Cimoli

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Stogy, Hyfire, 49ratfink and 2 others like this.

10. AMT Joe Wilhelm's WILD DREAM (& Don Tognotti's KING T) model (1).jpg
    AMT Joe Wilhelm's WILD DREAM (& Don Tognotti's KING T) model (2).jpg AMT Joe Wilhelm's WILD DREAM (& Don Tognotti's KING T) model (3).jpg
    AMT Joe Wilhelm's WILD DREAM (& Don Tognotti's KING T) model (4).jpg AMT Joe Wilhelm's WILD DREAM (& Don Tognotti's KING T) model (5).jpg AMT Joe Wilhelm's WILD DREAM (& Don Tognotti's KING T) model (7).jpg
    AMT Joe Wilhelm's WILD DREAM (& Don Tognotti's KING T) model (6).jpg AMT Joe Wilhelm's WILD DREAM (& Don Tognotti's KING T) model (9).jpg AMT Joe Wilhelm's WILD DREAM (& Don Tognotti's KING T) model (8).jpg
    AMT kit

mpc-wilhelms-wonder-wild-dream (1).jpg
    mpc-wilhelms-wonder-wild-dream (2).jpg mpc-wilhelms-wonder-wild-dream (3).jpg
    MPC kit

Stogy and Sancho like this.
  11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Joe was pretty much a traditional customizer.

He did go off the deep end a couple of times, but as someone else noted, the T was state-of-the-art in '63.... Rod and Custom cover car, etc. The Wild Dream's fit and finish was second to none in those days.

I had the pleasure of hanging out with Joe when he came to the Midwest with the T. Soft-spoken, humble, first class person.

Haters don't forget, he also did the Cliff Inman Chrysler. Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 2.46.06 PM.png

Dyno Dave, Stogy, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I am 99% sure that garage is at the home of a buddy of mine in San Jose. I'll have to give him a call and see what he is doing with it.

13. Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream (R&C Jan '64 cover).jpg
    Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream (Petersen Archives photo).jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Stogy, Surfcityrocker, Hyfire and 2 others like this.
  14. "Show Cards" (postcards):

Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream - 1964 B&W Postcard.jpg
    Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream - 1964 Postcard.jpg

Stogy, Bowtie Coupe and Sancho like this.

15. Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream at car show (Jamie Barter collection).jpg
    image from the @Jimmy B archives

16. Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream (by Phil Alloy) - 1.jpg
    Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream (by Phil Alloy) - 2.jpg
    1965 photos by Phillip Alloy

17. cabong

cabong

Jc60cad, HEMI32 and Sancho like this.
  18. @cabong Now that you're back, how about an update on the '58.....

19. Agreed!

Be sure to checkout the following:

Sancho likes this.
  20. cabong

cabong

Hey Sancho, I'll update the "quads in a 1957 Ford" thread in a couple days. There's still a couple things to finish, but I've been having too much fun racing the bugger!!! Thanks for the interest !!

Sancho likes this.
  21. I remember when the car was debuted. Really caused a stir. I think it is beautiful, I even made a version back then from a T kit. Never did understand the slicks on the front end though!

22. Hyfire

Hyfire

I love it. What a clean looking little car. Throw the original tires and wheels on and it's good to go!

So who has it and what are they going to do with it?

Jc60cad likes this.
  23. Josh (@Hyfire) -

Wilhelm's "Wild Dream" was built for John Hernandez.

Unfortunately, after the 1968 GNRS (where it tied for the AMBR), Mr. Hernandez rarely took it out of storage :(

Fast forward almost 50 years (June 2017) ... and Hernandez sold it to Jeff Cimoli (of the Goombahs Car Club).

Cimoli plans to freshen the car up and start showing it again! :D

Sancho and Hyfire like this.
  24. I found yet another vintgage pic of Wilhelm's "Wild Dream" ... a Robert Hegge photo taken at the '64 Detroit Autorama:

1964 Detroit Autorama (by Bob Hegge).jpg

Stogy, Jc60cad, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  25. Hyfire

Hyfire

Beautiful! Great piece of history. I hope the new owner sits down for a long video taped talking session with Mr. Hernandez.

HEMI32 likes this.
  26. Jc60cad

Jc60cad

27. I saw the Cliff Inman Chrysler many times in the mid sixties at Bob's Big Boy in Pasadena, Ca. It always seemed to be not much higher than curb on Colorado Blvd. Beautiful car.

28. Joe didn't build that many notable cars; the 'Wild T' and Cliff Inman's Chrysler are the two most mentioned, but he also built the much-maligned by some 'Mark Mist' '36 Ford coupe. The Chrysler always struck me as more of a mild custom, the top chop notwithstanding. Personally, I've always liked the Mark Mist (first version) and felt that it (along with Cushenberry's 'Matador') as one of the very best pre-war-based radical customs. Certainly less 'trendy' than the 'Wild T', which IMO was a last-gasp expression of fifties styling. In any case, he generally avoided the wretched excess some builders displayed and his craftsmanship was second to none.

29. Colin HD

Colin HD