Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, L.A. Roadster 2017 swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V8RPU, Jun 19, 2017.

1. vintageracecar

vintageracecar

Yep, still got it. Send me a PM and I'll send more pics. Only known complete set up and it's NOS.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Speechless, nailed it with your perspective . Thanks for taking the time to post your photos.

Special Ed likes this.
  3. My fiance and I drove 1700 miles round trip to Vegas to go to LARS and SoCal Open House with our friends - yes, the car count was down at both but we had plenty of fun anyway. I asked a guy about a banger with a Winfield head, etc and found out it was a guy I raced at the Hot Rod Dirt Drags in CO a few weeks back. I only bought a few little things at the swap, judge for yourself how the prices were. $5 on the generator mount, $5 on the HPG-1, $10 on the steering hoop, and $40 on the 8BA 1 piece front seal kit. IMG_0037.JPG

4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That show pisses me off every year.................pisses me off I can't be there !

ahewetson and Stogy like this.
  5. Pete

Pete

Holy shit sticks....what a ton of amazing parts!

straykatkustoms and Hendee like this.
  6. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Unfortunately, I have not been able to attend the last couple of years. Having grown up in LA, I remember the show when I was a kid and it was held at the Great Western Exhibition Center. I remember the move to Pomona and the change from a 1 to 2 day show. I have probably been to 20-25 "Roadster Shows" over the last 35 years.

LARS has always been and will always be a great event. Period.

Your perspective is spot on. This show may change but it will never grow old. There has always been great stuff to see and buy at this show. If you like FORD, hotrods and speed equipment, there is simply no other show like it on the planet. In today's world, "real" old car swap meets and most car shows have become a thing of the past. Thanks to the promoters of the LARS for keeping this alive.

Thank you for posting all of these pictures. That kind of "stuff" just doesn't appear anywhere else. Lots of material to drool over. Hope to be drooling in person next year-drooling on the keyboard just makes a mess!!!

Special Ed likes this.
  7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the pictures @V8RPU. I also like you comments about the event. You are spot on about having to embrace events so there will be more in the future.

8. flatoz

flatoz

Is this the same LARS swap that I read people complaining about that there wasn't much there? Or have I entered a different space time continuum?

thanks for the photos. I think I like swaps more than car show. And LARS swap is the best of both in my opinion.

6-bangertim likes this.
  9. Yep - same one. Some people just like to piss in the Cheerios

Special Ed and The37Kid like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

THANK YOU! Finally someone that views the event the way I do, I've always been more of a Flea Market guy rather than a car show guy. That may change if I ever finish a car, but don't hold your breath on that happening. I only load up to do Hershey as a vendor, and making a profit or even braking even has never been an objective. Being there, seeing the once a year friends, and others parts are the reasons we go. The only sad thing about every years events are the memories of the people we lost in the last year. I'll be back at LARS, hope it is in 2018. Bob

kidcampbell71, stillrunners and Stogy like this.
  11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great report, great attitude. Thanks.

Special Ed likes this.
  12. I can only dream about going. Just how many Franklins would a guy have to take? So many parts and not nearly enough scratch. Thanks for the temptations, it's hard to imagine.

13. trailerpark

trailerpark

Tell the guy from Tennessee to bring his parts and anything else he can haul back!

mohead1 likes this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I guess that depends on what you are looking for. First time I was at LARS I was able to spend $22.00, second time maybe around $200.00. I really think a lot of stuff in the Swap Meet is on display, not that there is anything wrong with that. Being there among the parts & people is what is about for me. Bob

stillrunners likes this.
  15. thanks for the pics.....sadly not an A roadster on a 32 frame with 32 fenders.......

16. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

hotrodA
    There are many vendors with rare and expensive parts. They know what they have and price their wares accordingly. Many times they try to push the envelope of value, but many times they are successful in finding a buyer. That said, like at any swaps there are bargains to be found. I am not a guy who will pay top dollar. But I always find good deals on special things at this swap. This year I was able to buy a Pounden magneto and drive for a flathead Ford for $300. If you are willing to make the effort to hike and shop good things can happen.

6-bangertim and dana barlow like this.
    Flat-Foot likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I totally agree, two years ago at LARSM I bought a Type 59 Bugatti cast aluminum oil pan. I think the seller and I were the only people that knew what it was, a nice cast unmachined reproduction. He was happy to take my $85.00 offer. Bob

19. cretin

cretin

I'm glad the people whining didn't show up, if they had, they might have gotten to the good deals I brought home before I did.

20. My first time at the show and it was all good for me. :cool: I just wish they had a shipper on site! On second thought maybe it was better they didn't :rolleyes: Good perspective and thanks for the photos!

40ragtopdown, j3harleys and The37Kid like this.
  21. Same show. Many who have written of lower attendance or less sellers than usual aren't really complaining, just stating the reality.
    Still a great show, just smaller than usual. Which shows how spoiled we are out here.

6-bangertim likes this.
  22. mohead1

mohead1

Really! Why wud u haul from Tn when there are MANY of us here that wud be interested??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

23. mohead1

mohead1

I am gonna have to modify the bucket list obviously.....are there any similar meets in the southeast?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

24. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Thanks for ALL.

25. Hendee

Hendee

A bit OT, but anyone that was there happen to know or recall who was selling the Chrysler and Desoto taillights in the case pictured? If so please PM me. Something in there I might need. Appreciated.
    IMG_1957.JPG

dana barlow likes this.
  26. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Thanks- well said and well pictured.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. exterminator

exterminator

As a spectator now days at the LARS, I hope they figure out what went wrong and fix it. Even if it means raising the price a couple dollars for each spectator and letting the roadsters in free again and remember I am speaking as a spectator. I love this show :)

28. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

[​IMG]

Anyone know what the price of this 3W was?

slv63 likes this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^ Wonder if it is the Model B that was pulled off a farm or ranch a few months ago? Bob

30. I looked at it but don't remember what they wanted.:( I was dizzy in the swap meet area with all the good stuff!:cool: