Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Unearthing a StAr DeStroyer! 1931 Coupe w/394 olds-

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks @enloe - it's probably a dumb idea to have so many projects going... but I love them all the same. Can't wait to get this chassis rolling like the other two! Hoping to make some major progress this summer!

Outback, kiwijeff, enloe and 2 others like this.
  2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

[​IMG]

I got a couple hours with the lathe and started to form up the ladder bars-

I want them long 60's style so approx half the wheel base- but I'm gonna go a little more, hoping to meet the f-1 crossmember and pedals.

From what I've been reading you want to put them at the center of weight so being this car will be front heavy I want to get them a little beyond mid point- these brackets on the chrome axle are where they are, they're only slightly triangulated- so I plan to run big bushings on the ends and the fact they will be long rectangles should keep stresses from lifting one tire to a minimum.

Being they're so long I need to gusset them well-

I was going to zig zag rod in between but now I'm thinking I'll make gussets that match the front hairpins I made.

I made these out of 1" .250 wall dom tubing.

Okie Pete, kiwijeff, Drewfus and 8 others like this.
  3. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Such a rad thread! Read all 14 pages. I, too have an old drag model A that ran a 394 with rear fenders that was a "barn find" here in Indiana from the 60s. Channeled 5" over the frame, no chop. Forgive me if you posted in my thread and I dont remember. Things have changed and the set up will be different than the way "The Rod" was in the 60s so I'll let my hopes live vicariously through yours! I will be following.

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a Jimmy White style ladder bar jig to make them identical-
    [​IMG]

The sleeves are 1 5/8" OD dom with .187 wall I'll use with 1 1/4 OD bushings-

Started making gussets today to match my hairpins up front.

Kevin Bacon calls it a #streethero

I just need to do a small kick in the back- like 2-3" so I'm gonna keep it pretty simple- I could get away with no kick I think but better to have to go up then down to nail the sweet spot.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Okie Pete, Drewfus, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Nice

Tuck likes this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Common Tuck be honest. Just say you love this car already. She's getting mixed signals. You keep playin with those other two girls. But you save for the StAr DeStroyer your best tender touch.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad, Tuck and vetteguy402 like this.
  7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Listen... I totally LOVE this thing. I can't stop thinking about it...

I've been obsessed with this frame lately and I keep thinking I'm over thinking it. haha... right now I'm thinking... Maybe no kickup? An uncut no- z'd frame With a reverse eye T spring and a channel, it actually puts the top of the tire to the wheel lip. That's where I want it...

I wish I had more time to work on all of them, but I don't... and my threads move along at a snail pace. I was talking to my wife tonight about it because I was saying there is probably something wrong with me because I can't just work on one car... (I try to imagine the outcome if I could) I have to be juggling them all at once, it's just the way I'm wired. I think part of it is that I never get bored- they're always exciting, another is that it gives me ample time to study each move like a chess game, whereas sometimes if I had acted on my initial reaction it would have the same outcome.... and I wouldn't be as happy with it. Aesthetics... hot rods=sculpture

Someday soon I feel like it'll be similar to knocking over dominos I'll just knock them out one, two and three.

BUT... the coupe, unlike the other two hot rod's, I've wanted this actual car since I was a kid. Unlike the other two, I'm making (not modifying old ford parts) most of the suspension stuff from scratch which is a lot of fun. Unlike the other two, this one actually has a real history as a hot rod in my home town. I really just can't wait to get it rolling and back together as a whole car again. To think it spent my entire life waiting around in rafters for me, hung up there the year I was born.... :) Think of all the other outcomes... or worse case scenarios.... and then look back at the progress in this thread. It's exciting seeing it come back to life! I can't wait to show the original owner and his brother in law Chuck who's hot rod he was trying to beat.

I try and expose my daughter to as much as I can. A lot of people that I've made friends with that are successful building hot rods grew up with it or had parents that built them too... I think that's awesome.

I want to say it's a balance but a balance would imply things are equal... and that's not the case. This building hot rods thing with a family is a juggling act... some balls are glass the kind you can't drop, some are rubber. The rubber balls you can drop and pick them back up again later... family is a glass ball, building hot rods would be a rubber ball... dropping it and bringing that ball back in has to mesh with the family in a healthy way in order to maintain itself in motion.

When I'm at the shop now I usually have Maple with me. Sometimes she loves it other times she tolerates it but I think its awesome none the less. She's learning to do things with her hands and in the company of her dad. I try and get her to help me with everything I can- and usually, she loves to help. If she can't do something she can oil something or help hold something... most of the time with expressed interest... and usually never without her ear protection! She also knows if something breaks we just bring it to the shop and we can fix it... she hopes... even the dead mice our cat leaves on the front step ;-)

Hopefully, she'll be pulling the wheel stands in this coupe some day... :)

Thanks for all the positive feedback in this thread guys- sorry for the long winded philosophical response.

Tuck

16228808_687052181468319_2866330275632119808_n.jpg 16124018_243725259416458_881281732421091328_n.jpg 17663446_203468446815683_6279896499249741824_n.jpg 17818191_120244168519058_8195968421737791488_n.jpg 17663590_218266141991476_5193426007092101120_n.jpg

8. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tuck. That was beautiful dude. Good perspective.

Tuck and brad2v like this.
  9. pumpman

pumpman

Tuck, one day you'll turn around and there will a bunch of teenage boys hanging around and you'll think they are there to see your progress. Not so much! Peace brother.

Outback, brEad, Tuck and 2 others like this.
  10. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Word...

Outback, Drewfus and Tuck like this.
  11. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

Shoot the first one and the word gets around

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Outback, belair, brEad and 3 others like this.
  12. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I found myself thinking and rethinking about your "philosophy" and you're spot on! I dropped the glass ball and I'm paying for it. I didn't have kids, but I haven't found my mojo and my projects are all dead in the water. It'll eventually come back as it always does.

[QUOTE="Tuck, post: 12012910, member: 277" Aesthetics... hot rods=sculpture

I want to say it's a balance but a balance would imply things are equal... and that's not the case. This building hot rods thing with a family is a juggling act... some balls are glass the kind you can't drop, some are rubber. The rubber balls you can drop and pick them back up again later... family is a glass ball, building hot rods would be a rubber ball... dropping it and bringing that ball back in has to mesh with the family in a healthy way in order to maintain itself in motion.

Tuck
    [/QUOTE]

I really liked how simply you put that hot rods = sculpture. I think it is an art to pull off something beautiful, head turning and show stopping! Some guys have it naturally, others have to work at it. I'm working at it.

Carry on brother & keep it in balance!

3blap.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a quick update- I had a day in the shop today and got some time in on this thing- welded the batwings and hairpins and started to blend them smooth... still a lot to do-

I bought shackles, bushings and got all the hardware for the suspension.

I need to make the spring over mounts for the rear-

I bought steel for boxing plates but didn't get to trimming them down yet.

Tuck

14. Love those hair pins, very nice!:cool:

Tuck and loudbang like this.
  15. Glass balls are the most important thing. Right on, Tuck.

Outback, loudbang and Tuck like this.
  16. Olds powered hot rods rule!!

17. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

IMG_5406.jpg

Found some f-1 chrome reverse at the local yard and mounted some 5.60 15's on them- IMG_5378.jpg

I'm just gonna mock it up as a roller and move it in the corner during my roadster thrash!

Hitting the pause button on this build shortly-

Tuck

Outback, Lil'Alb, Okie Pete and 12 others like this.
  18. mista

mista
    from Finland

Awesome. Cool parts, cool car and beautiful work.

Tuck and vetteguy402 like this.
  19. speters

speters

the 32 with quad headlights you showed was a picture I posted of my buddy Alex's car in the early 60s. I was looking at your build and was so surprised to see it. Love the coupe

20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

[​IMG]

So this happened today...

I horse traded for a 394 hilborn... I think this car will need a cage. Can't wait to get home and just see how rad it looks! (-;

Picked up NOS 586 ring and pinion too-

[​IMG]

And some 394 hedders I'll post pics mocked up still headed home from Milwaulkee with the new to us trailer!

Outback, Okie Pete, kiwijeff and 12 others like this.
  21. brad2v

brad2v

Oh yeah!!!!!

22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That's about the only thing I can think of that will look better than SP tops your so addicted to.
    Killer!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I hope you had a great Father's Day.
    My son and I went to the Hot Rod reunion on our annual "Guy Trip"
    When we got home yesterday we went out to eat dinner.

I have loaded a ton of pics from the trip on the thread that is linked on my signature.

Tuck likes this.
  24. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Same to you @enloe I'll check it out. We just laid low all day and hung out with family- (-; great grampa and gramma were up from Oklahoma. Ate food and hit the park-

[​IMG]. Here's Jerry (an oil man) and Winter!

Check this out-

[​IMG]

(-: (-:

Outback, Vic Walter, Tim and 21 others like this.
  25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

VERY COOL

Tuck, brad2v and vetteguy402 like this.
  26. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

One more for fun- IMG_5500.jpg

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If you google the words "Bad Ass" this clearly should be the first image that shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Tuck and vetteguy402 like this.
  28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I feel like this car's build plan has shifted slightly... At first I was picturing this a drive-able drag car... but now there is no going back from a full race drag car. I need to find a front cover and pump drive, ditch all the other crap like alternator and fans and pulleys and find a Joe Hunt Mag.

I found a M/T center section/carrier for the gears too- just need to pay for em.

engine setback, engine setback, engine setback and zoomies that wrap under the frame.

Tuck

Outback, kiwijeff, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Tuck.Nice looking SBC.But,that frame looks a little on the scant side."Flexey Flyer"maybe?:rolleyes::p
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

30. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

#
    WHAT?:eek: Small Block Chevy? Blaspheme! haha- This is where the grudge match calling starts... ah-HEM @Von Hartmann
    Three hundred and ninety four cubic inch OLDS... aka the Hemi Killer...

Our three year old daughter has a goat named Salazar. He jumped up and put his hooves on her shoulders and started to eat her hair. She freaked out- I grabbed him and she ran inside. She later told us that Salazar told her "you're breakfast".... and then proceeded to "trim her hair".
    18252441_1441840072543933_6182314232399265792_n.jpg
    So... in the same spirit- SBC? haha- sounds like Breakfast. :)

Oldsmobile's RULE.