Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration CSX 2075

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

CSX 2075

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

enloe, 63fdsnr, warbird1 and 6 others like this.
  2. Harlin Covert

Harlin Covert

3. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

It's a really cool Cobra, and I have seen many. I just don't care for the giant CS signature on the dash. I know it's a trend to get signatures on cars these days and I know some people think it's worth more with a CS signature. To me it's just too much. If I had the car I would probably clean the signature off. Just my .02

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I 100% agree with you.

63fdsnr likes this.

5. This brings back memories. About 73-74, my older sister and her then husband bought a 289 Cobra that raced here in the Pacific N/W, predominantly Westwood raceways. It was yellow and called hairy canary at the time and had the same wheels and stance as this car. I stored it in my garage and didn't have a key, so never drove the car, but it was a beast. The floor got so hot from the headers that it felt like your runners were melting. I remember it was tuned by John Hall Performance and ran right on the edge of streetability. I was amazed at the power that little 289 put out. They ended up trading the car straight up for a 2 year old Ford Pickup with a camper that was in England and set off on a year long European adventure culminating in him taking a driving course at a race track in England. He should have had that before they bought the Cobra, might have saved the car from some of the rock chips it received from spinning out into the gravel. I was sad to see the car go, but happy that they got to travel. It seemed like a good trade at the time, not so much now..

catdad49 likes this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sotheby's? Monterey? Comp Cobra? If it only took a 1/2 mil I'll take it! And yeah, I can get the scratch for that;) But you're right, fuck the money (oh how nice to live like that), at the end of it all it's about the car(s). One of my folks had an early 289 worm and sector variant like this one should be being an early car. It too was black but a single 4bbl and those quaint lil Smiths gauges, essentially every indication was that it was simply an over powered sports car. Wrong. That little bastard would simply haul ass! While the near death experience of a 427 variant has never hit me personally I could somewhat imagine it after an hour behind the wheel of that one. It was CSX 202-something, my memory isn't that good, but the car was a riot and about as "Jalopy Journal" as anyone could hope for. I know it's your show and you set the pace but those hybrids were straight from the same soul that exists here. Let's not forget the Allard, the Cheetah, the Kellison, the, well, you get the point. It seems that each era has that beast of a car from a true hot rod/racer and released on the public like a plague of mad dogs. Thanks for the memory.

7. BLAKE

BLAKE

That thing rules.

Hatchet and IronFord like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Seeing a Cobra going over "deers leap" must have been quite a sight!

Rolleiflex likes this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Griffiths should be mentioned here..Ford 289 and around 1800#..New Jersey scooters made from English TVR cars..Glass body with tube space frame...Little rough to drive with a bigger than size 9 shoe..

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  10. Yeah, early Cobras are neat but the performance could be replicated by any accomplished craftsman. Take an English roadster, stuff in a big engine, big tires, and some chassis stiffening and you could have comparable performance. You know, kind of like a hot rod.

11. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Learn something every day. I never knew they had a transverse leaf for suspension. I've never been close to a non kit car Cobra to appreciate them. Thanks for sharing. I too don't like the signature on the glovebox, but I don't know if I have the stones to get rid of it. I'd probably find a replacement and put that one in storage.

theHIGHLANDER and J.Ukrop like this.
  12. louisb

louisb

Great little cobra. When you say Cobra most think of the big 427 but it was the lil 289 that won everything.

--louis

Uncle Ronn and Hatchet like this.
  13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Awww, it was dirty in the engine compartment,,, drop it by and I'll clean it then test drive it to make sure I cleaned it right,,,,,,,,,,,,

14. VTjunk

VTjunk

About 5 years ago I had the chance to ride in an early 289 Cobra. It was an unrestored, well kept original and the owner had it since the mid 70s. He ran it pretty hard, shifting at 6,000+rpm. What a thrill, and the slight bounce from the front transverse spring every gear change just added to the experience.

15. In the late 60s one of the drag Cobras showed up at Puyallup raceways on a Saturday. 289 with Webers, slicks, 4-speed. They put him in the same class with the local Corvette hero (built 435 HP 427) and the fun ensued...
    That Cobra just toyed with the 'Vette... They raced multiple times, with the Cobra beating the 'Vette by about a car length every time. The 'Vette owner kept turning up the wick (re-tuning, messing with his launch RPM, etc) as no mere 289 was going to defeat him but couldn't close the gap. The last run between them, the 'Vette was on 'Banzai'. Result? One exploded BBC....

The Cobra made one more pass after that; a full-throttle, balls-to-wall shot. He had that 'Vette covered by nearly a full second....

BradinNC, kidcampbell71 and louisb like this.
  16. SUSQ

SUSQ

I used to get to York US 30 Dragway as a teenager. One particular day, probably during the Spring of 1974, I remember a guy showing up with a 427 Cobra on a flatbed. All I can remember is the car was gold with no lettering and the guy looked like he was in his 20's or 30's and had $$. Of course, I was making $1.65 and hour after school so anybody that had $20 was rich to me. I don't remember the car manking a pass but it really made an impression on me as being a really special car. The guy clearly knew what he had. I wish I knew what became of that car or the story behind it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  17. 2935ford

2935ford

Mid 60's we used to go to Shelby's corner at the LAX and watch them test run the Cobras and the Mustangs.

My high school friend worked at a Pizza Hut and the manager there bought the 289 version Cobra ($10k at the time), silver in color. Told him 160mph in second gear!

18. VonWegener

VonWegener

I had the pleasure of knowing Mr.Shelby and spending time with him and his cronies. They were so wonderfully 1960s in their behavior it was like being in a time machine. To me that signature would mean a lot.

19. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really? If you had a '32 3-window with Henry Ford's signature on the dash, would you clean that too?

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The early 289 Cobras are the only versions that appeal to me. I never liked the bulging rear wheel arches of the 427 version (nor the monster motor for that matter). This Cobra does have a bit different wheel arches than most 260/289 models, but these look great! Wouldn't change a thing! (except ownership)

Ryan, Thanks for featuring this car

Ray

21. raven

raven

My all-time favorite car ever...
    r

22. I think mine is worth more $$ without it...but that's never why I bought it in the first place...a long time ago. This is a nice car BTW.

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Good looking Cobra. The dark wheel centers complement the black paint nicely.

24. You know the track then. I always stood at the end of that straight, at the tight right uphill corner. That's where he usually hit the gravel.;)

Rolleiflex likes this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes, and such a shame it is no longer.

Rolleiflex likes this.
  26. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Yes I would, especially if it was in big giant obnoxious script like that.....
    Less is more --- Everyone knows who built the car, you don't need a signature on it to feel special.

Hnstray likes this.
  27. Love it. Brutal and sophisticated at the same time.

And that evening light... it always makes me wanna drive an old car fast.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in the replace it camp as well. Mr Shelby had a charity thing going where you send a donation and your glovebox door and he signed it. I wouldn't lose it but I'd replace the door, using it for specific meets maybe. It's not as bad a thing as it 1st seems. Just sayin...

http://www.shelby.com/?topic=csf

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    jim snow likes this.
  29. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Well Ryan if you are going to post an off topic car you picked the right one. Beautiful example of a true hot rod built when the muscle cars were taking over the streets.

30. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

I had one of these in 1967. Only it was HO scale and made by Aurora and had a Thunder jet motor.

J. A. Miller likes this.