Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods home built tilt column and cut down banjo wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Mo rust

Mo rust

My 84 year old father and I are building a 31 ford roadster and wanted a tilt column but didn't like the looks of the large tilt columns on the market so he took a 64 Buick tilt column that we had laying around and stripped it down to the knuckle and rod on the bottom end. He then made a new shaft with 1 3/4 exhaust pipe and welded a bottom collar on it from a top collar in an old steering wheel adapter kit. He then used a 39 Ford banjo wheel that we cut down and made a new 15 inch ring with 7/8 stainless tubing adapting it to the tilt column by cutting a a key shaft and added a 39 ford deluxe horn button. The turn signal switch that we had from the Buick column was ruined so we plan to use timed self canceling signals with push buttons hidden under the 36 Ford roadster dash.

column.jpg wheel1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Dannerr, 54reno, robracer1 and 4 others like this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Nice work! I love watching the old timers do their magic. It's amazing how much of the old craftsmanship is fading away. All the knowledge that is dying.

It's really cool to see it when they do work magic. I try to watch and learn as much as they are willing to teach me.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  3. Mo rust

Mo rust

You have to admire that generation. When they want something, they would figure out how to make it themselves. Growing up, when Dad wanted Mom to have a brick house, Dad would strap on the tool belt and build her a house and never miss a days work as a brick layer.. When Dad wanted Mom to have a nice car, he would find something cool and build it for her. When Mom wanted an in ground pool, it took three weeks of nights and weekends (and $900) and he built one for her. At 84, he still puts in a lot of hours in the shop.

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice! You are fortunate to still have your father (active one) to do things with.

5. Talented fella!

6. Richard Head

Richard Head

My dad is a retired bricklayer. My mom has always wanted to live in a brick rambler. After 48 years, they are still living in the three story wood shingled house that they bought from my grandparents. The shop and most of the hardscaping on the property are masonry, the house has none though.