Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever chase 1 for years, then finally get it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by utahdodge, Jun 17, 2017.

1. utahdodge

utahdodge

IMG_6590.jpg
    I have loved this Hudson since I was 14 and saw my bachelor farmer neighbor tooling around his farm lot in it. Fast forward 20+ years and I have been given the opportunity to be its current caretaker.

She is a 1916 Hudson Super Six. She has spent her entire life on my neighbor's farm. She began life as a 7 passenger touring model, but they cut her down into a truck before WWII to use on the farm. She starts and runs, but due to a broken/missing water pump and a rough radiator, I don't dare run her for too long. I'm hoping to rig an electric pump to move the water and locate a radiator that will keep her cool enough for our town's annual parade, 101 years after she came here originally. The straight six purrs and she has exhaust cutouts from the factory. If their is interest I can post some more pics and maybe a video?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. ken bogren

ken bogren

They kept the car all these tears, did they keep the rest of it too?

What are your plans beyond the parade?

3. flatford39

flatford39

I wouldn't do any thing to it beside give it a bath and use it around your property like it was designed for. 101 years and still running. That is worth preserving in its current state. Thanks for posting...I really enjoyed seeing it.

4. Cool! Good luck with it. And keep us updated.

5. utahdodge

utahdodge

I'm not even sure that I want to wash it, it's been so protected and dry all of these years.

I have found a few parts scattered around; the back seat, back fenders, a bunch of motor parts, but not the tub, so it stays as a truck. I like it as it sits anyway.

Long term will just be keeping it operational and cared for. The last of the family who owned it called it "part of his family" so I'll try to honor that.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy that car is going to a good caretaker and will survive another generation with someone who respects it !

Hnstray likes this.
  7. like......and have fun !....with it.....

8. i need more pictures.
    very cool!

9. Lucky man.More pics when you can,and check the AACA site Hudson/Essex folks.

10. Nealswheels

Nealswheels
    from Indiana

Great History and Great Story! Cant wait to see to see some more pics!

11. utahdodge

utahdodge

12. This one took me 25 years to aquire. I never bothered the previous owner but I was persistent.

If that hudson was mine, I wouldn't touch a thing to change it. The stories it could tell!

Attached Files:

biggeorge, slim38, Denns1989 and 11 others like this.
  13. Latigo

Latigo

Really great piece of history for your community. Have fun!

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I have chased one for years, finally got her then tried to figure out how to get rid of her without it costing me a fortune.

15. exterminator

exterminator

I would drive that around locally (t0wn,etc) wearing a straw hat and coveralls and have a blast with it!;)

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Cool truck, I would wash it. Preserve the truck not the dirt.

17. That looks mighty fine, just the way it sits! Dig that kooky steering wheel!!
    Good score, just keep it away from the paint nazis!

Hnstray likes this.
  18. You should have that buck rake in the background, too. I'm sure the old Hudson pulled that rake through some hay fields many times. You are doing the exact right thing.

tractorguy likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Finally found this thread after loosing it, great story, reminds me of a "Lost" Hudson. upload_2017-6-18_15-51-32.png This is the Ira Vail HUDSON that ran in the 1919 INDY 500, I have a stack of photos and race related paperwork from the second owner. It raced on local tracks in Pennsylvania and drove on the streets of Philadelphia in the 1920's. After WWII it was found on a used car lot. Having the paperwork I thought it might be nice to have the car, but just missed it the owner at the time had sold it to the Harrah collection in Reno. Long gone now it is in South Korea in the Samsung collection. Too much local history with your touring cut down, but several clones of the Vail car have been built out of lesser cars and run The Great Race. Bob

kidcampbell71, tractorguy and Nobey like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is Don Coley and his 1912 Model T, the first guy to ever give me a ride in an "Old" car when I was about 12 years old. Made a huge impression on me, the car is in my garage now. Took about 20 years to get it. Bob DSCF8718.JPG

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Looks like a hot rod to me. Big and littles with a rake, open hood sides, exhaust cut outs, floor shift. Looks like a fun ride!

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. Nobey

Nobey

Thanks for posting this Utah, kinda made my day seeing your old Hudson, and hearing the story.
    I think you will be able to find a pump, and radiator. Won't be cheap, but worth it for the old girl.
    I even like the wood bed they built, and the added tool bar. Also looks like the original interior. I
    know a lot of guys on here really appreciate you showing her off. From the mountains in the
    background, it looks like the Logan area. Have fun with it, and please more photos.....

tractorguy likes this.
  23. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That's awesome!

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I tried getting a 55 Pontiac for over 10 years but when the owner was ready to sell it had gotten a little more rustier so I passed on it.

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

First time I saw this one was 1967. Its mine now. my hotrod.jpg

Denns1989, catdad49, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  27. 327Eric

327Eric

I chased my avatar 59 Elcamino 4 years

28. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

great story and a great old car I'm a big Hudson fan

29. southerncad

southerncad

The first time I saw my '49 Cad (see avatar) was in 1963, tried to buy it a couple of years later to no avail, then the owner died, tried again, no, son going to fix it up, then when the son died in 1990.....I was able to buy it, and gonna' keep it!

30. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I love it as is! On the pump...I really know very little about Hudsons of any age, but I'm guessing that your pump was the sort that hung at the side of the engine like a generator. I seem to remember that Hudson 6 or straight 8 used a free standing water pump like that into the '40's at least...if my assumptions about pump style are correct, later ones should be easy transplants, rather like generators, needing only bracket work since they don't need to fit block casting.
    And also check with Model T hopper uppers. Some of them use this general sort of pump to move water in T's, since the T did not use anything coercive on its water supply.

kidcampbell71 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.