Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Model A Coupe - 289 HiPo

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Racmit, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Racmit

Racmit

Hello. I've used this board for a long time and I figured, since I've used it so much, I might as well put my project car on here :)
    Here's my parts list so far:
    Chevrolet corvair: front axle, wheels, and coil springs
    57 Ford Banjo: Rear axle, differential, and the rear end
    1965 Ford LTD: stabilizer bar
    Jaguar: steering
    Unsure: hydraulic shock absorbers and brakes
    Body of the car: Model A 1931 Coupe, unsure if standard, deluxe, business, or sport coupe.
    Engine: Ford 289 HiPo from 1966 Mustang Fastback, transmission from same.

I'm not really sure how well all of this will work together, it doesn't seem like a combo that's been done before, but I'm gonna try my best to get it to run. I built the frame myself, and I'm fairly confident it'll hold up. I'm only in high school though so this is a long term project, cash is a hard to come by thing atm. However, I've been lucky and my great-grandfather owned a ford dealership and he had all the tools I can conceive of using for this. Let me know your thoughts on the car! Do you think it will run well when I'm finished, based on the combination of parts? Thanks :)

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Your pictures aren't showing.
    Interesting project.

3. Racmit

Racmit

Huh, weird. I don't get why they aren't showing, they pop up on my screen. Gonna try again. I've also included two pictures of stuff from my great grandfather's shop. IMG_20170514_001628.jpg IMG_20170514_001915.jpg IMG_20170514_003431.jpg IMG_20170514_003556.jpg IMG_20170514_004519.jpg IMG_20170514_183154.jpg IMG_20170514_182125.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Racmit

Racmit

It seemed like it worked that time, although I accidentally included some as download ables and some as pictures.

5. Interesting list. Some things I really like and others I really don't like.

Please don''t use the Corvair front suspension. To me it looks terrible under an early Ford, especially if you are not running fenders (are you?) This was done a lot in the seventies but I haven't seen anyone doing it recently. If it was a good choice, why aren't they still doing it?

Rear end choice sounds good.

Stabilizer bar, no thoughts. I assume you are using coil overs and trying to duplicate the original geometry, a good idea.

Steering, why not something like F1 truck? Jaguar sounds expensive and not very traditional. If they were a good choice I would expect more people to be using them.

Shock absorbers, no comments. Brakes, I would use early Ford or Lincoln if going to an early Ford I beam axle.

Body of car. Sounds good. I would leave it full height for comfort. As you can tell by my AVATAR I like the stock look on the outside. Do you plan to run fenders (I hope)? Standard or deluxe are the same body. Deluxe had cowl lights, standards didn't have cowl lights but might have had them added as an accessory by the dealer. No such thing as a business coupe in 1931. Sport coupes had a soft top. Go to http://www.mafca.com/gallery_1931.html and look at "Sport Coupe - 50-B" for a picture of a sport coupe.

Engine/transmission. Sounds good. Remember that the 289 from that period was a very long engine. I think today there are aftermarket parts to make it shorter. Maybe later parts could be used to make it shorter? I like it much better than the large, 800 pound engines that some people try to stuff into a Model A. You will end up with a car that is fun to drive. Don't go too hot on the cam.

Good luck. You should add your general location to your profile, you can never tell when that will be important in a response.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  6. Racmit

Racmit

I have the front and rear fenders on standby, I'm actually getting them blasted this week. I believe I don't have the cowl lights anywhere, so I'm gonna assume it's a standard coupe :)
    The cost of the parts I've used isn't a concern, I haven't spent a penny on the car yet. I'm not aware of the kits used to shorten the block, sounds intriguing though, I'll do some research.
    The reason I'm using the front suspension from the Corvair is because it was sitting around the garage whenever I opened it up, I assume for another hot rodding project.
    About the coil overs, I'm not actually doing that. If you'll look at the photos, I included a picture of the rear axle with them showing.
    I'm planning to keep a stock look, but paint it racing green with black in the usual places, I believe that would look nice. I appreciate the response.

Redcloud likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's a pretty 70's front end but all of the cars I've ridden in or driven with a corvair front end work just fine. I'd have to put fenders over that ugly stuff but sounds like you've got them :)

It's more traditonalnto the 70's with your parts list so understand you'll get a little push back from the guys here that build to an early style.

Keep asking questions, bring your thick skin ;)

brad2v, Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

that is a 1930 ford coupe, special and sport had canvas rooves...
    got a 289 / C4 / 9" in my 30 coupe...

9. Racmit

Racmit

Ah! So yours will be very similar to mine, mine will just have maybe... (googling) 50 more HP, about. How does it ride?

10. If you are going to have the fenders "blasted" try too find some that can use media instead of sand and KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. The sheetmetal will warp easily.

Charlie Stephens
    Is this what you mean by racing green and black in the usual places? This is a sport coupe owned by the late Joe Mac in the 1970's.

Charlie Stephens

JoeMacA2.jpg MVC-005F.JPG

sko_ford, slv63 and sloppy jalopies like this.
  11. Sounds like a great project.... Except for the front suspension & steering.

I bet if you sell those parts & buy used old Ford parts, you could have a REALLY cool car for not much more than you already have in it.

Are there any clubs or other (either young or old) traditional hot rodders near you that you could hang around?

39 Aaron NZ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

love mac's hood sides...

13. At the time Joe built the car I assume he used the hood sides from a Chevrolet. Today you can get Model A hoods with those louvers from Rootlieb (http://www.rootlieb.com/ford-1928-31-hoods.html). They add a nice touch to set the car off from the rest.

Charlie Stephens

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

15. car doctor

car doctor

Put that corvair front-end in the scrap pile where it belongs!! They look terrible under an old Ford!

16. Racmit

Racmit

That's a beautiful color, but I was thinking maybe a couple shades darker :) it's very close though, and that's what I meant with the patterning, and I'm trying to decide between painting the window/roof area black or green with black details.

17. Racmit

Racmit

Unfortunately, I don't know of many near me, much less ones that I'll have time to go meet. I'm busy this whole summer, sadly.

18. Racmit

Racmit

My grandfather actually started on the frame, I finished it up :) didn't want to get into too much detail. I'll try to find the proper place to post the thread, given enough browsing around.

19. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is no Hi-Po, not with a 2 bbl. carb on it if that engine is all original.

Clay Belt likes this.
  20. Great to see a young man carrying on a family project. Your grandpa would be proud.
    Don't be offended by some of the replies most of us can not remember when we were 17.
    I was 17 in 1957 . I looked at your profile. where are you located? If I were close I be glad to help a young hot rodder . One correction I would point out is your 57 rear end is not a banjo type.
    A banjo rear is the original model A through 1948 cars.
    Keep the faith young man you'll be fine. You have a plan go for it.
    Terry aka dirt t

brad2v, BradinNC and Just Gary like this.
  21. If you added your general location to your post and to your thread someone near you might pop up. Also suggestions on where to go and where to buy parts might appear. I agree with not posting your complete address but a general address would be valuable.

Charlie Stephens

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Racmit

Racmit

I'm located in southwest Texas, an hour or two away from San Antonio. I'll try to figure out how to add the location.

afgjr and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

To be fair the corvair was out before the date dead line here and though the style is later an early times cc build could feasibly use those parts and those cars have always been welcome here even though the build style is later

24. Racmit

Racmit

Perhaps the previous owner did modify it and didn't share the info, I'll try to get in contact with him.

25. I hate to admit it but having the lower HP version might make a nicer car to drive. Are you planning on boxing the frame? I would for the Hi-Po version, maybe not for the lower HP version.

Charlie Stephens

Clay Belt likes this.
  26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

hi-po and a 3.00 ; 1 pig ... or ... a stock 289 with 4.11 ; 1 pig... hmmmmm.
    memory says the hi-po's had header flange bolts, not studs...

27. It's made from box already.;)

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I had my shop, the Corvair front was presented in a couple of different instances. I declined, even after a ride/drive in a '32 Chev with one under it.

Beside the absence of correct Ackermann, there was:

1. The appearance. (just wrong)
    2. The concept of a front suspension out of a rear-engine car, rolling it backwards, and mounting a V8 engine atop.

Nailhead A-V8, lothiandon1940 and X38 like this.
  29. Hard to tell from your photos but it appears the front suspension is too far forward to use fenders. HRP