Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG Bonneville ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by typo41, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Muttley

Muttley

If you're selling, yeah...........if you're buying, not so much.

sko_ford and ROCKER77 like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Man. I figured they had the SCTA's permission on that one. I'd prolly be bummed to if I were them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

4. Elrod

Elrod

The poster above was based on our original Oilers car club plaque from 1947, which was drawn by founder Jim Nelson. We did not use the SCTA car logo. It is our Oilers logo and 4 red letters, TROG
    We spoke with Latten and he is not mad. The cease and desist was sent out before Latten spoke with Mel on the phone. Latten said it looked like their car and Mel explained that it was our Oilers car. Mel also removed SCTA. Latten said thanks.

[​IMG]
    Oilers_Carlsbad.jpg

image1.PNG image2.PNG

This is founder of the Oiler's Jim Nelson's SCTA card.
    [​IMG]

This is the current SCTA logo.
    [​IMG]

5. SChotrod

SChotrod

To clear up some Tech inspection and Safety issues with the TROG at Bonneville. The TROG organizers will be in charge of that. The USFRA will just be preparing the track. We will have our normal courses, tech, inspectons and event. Hopefully it will be a good event for both groups.

Mike
    USFRA Tech Inspector

6. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Elrod
    I,m sorry but that sounds like bullshit to me.
    If you want to use the oilers logo go ahead.
    But why use the same font,color and banner/ribbon as the SCTA?

Tman likes this.
  7. Elrod

Elrod

The powers that be and Mel are ok. That's the key issue.

TA22 and birdog like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey look - it's the other side of the story!

I don't think it matters if Latten is cool with it does it?

In any case, this is a pretty good example of what I was talking about earlier. Instantaneous information overload causes so much bullshit, drama, hatred, shit talking, etc... and at the end of the day, none of it really matters to anybody other than the person that gets flamed. Sucks.

The37Kid and clean cut creations like this.
  9. Elrod

Elrod

10. Mike

Mike

I see TROG as basically a hot rod version of a Civil War re-enactment. I have no real ill will toward TROG and I reckon it is an enjoyable event, but its not for me. As a race, fashion and being stylish seem to be far more important than function and speed, a bit on the pose, great for a "day at the beach".

For those who bring racing machines to Bonneville, there is great respect for racing history and those that came before, but function and the quest for speed are what it's all about (this is a place where 150mph "sounds slow"). Fashion is determined by the harsh, potentially deadly environment (no "day at the beach"), and being stylish is a very low priority. Not many on the pose here.

As you might have guessed, I'm not keen on the idea of a TROG event at Bonneville, but it's a free country, they can do what they want.

I am annoyed at the blatant rip off of the SCTA logo that TROG are using to promote this event. Weezing off the SCTA's gig, absolutely bad form, they need to knock that shit off.

Fedcospeed, cretin and WiredSpider like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Once you are there, you realize fashion doesn't really have anything to do with it all... It's more about old cars running hard on the sand... and it's gorgeous to watch. And while it's not serious racing, it's way better than going to a fairground car show.

TROG is fun. Bonneville is flat out IMPORTANT. There's a big difference... and room for both in my opinion.

Read above. This one has been solved. Gotta problem? Talk to Latten!

'54Caddy, Sixcarb, gas pumper and 3 others like this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh good God. What has the HAMB come to when we are now quoting Heinlein?

chryslerfan55 and tfeverfred like this.
  13. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey...been to and participated in several hill climbs and time trials with my Sedan, you read that right, my full fendered street driven sedan and I can tell ya, one of the great joys is having someone come up and introduce themselves by their HAMB name and say "glad to meet ya, I read your posts all the time. Great to put a face to the name". There are alot of great guys and personalities on this site and meeting some of these guys in person is half the fun.

14. A lot of these guys don't understand the money Mel and bobby put up for all the permits and cops and medical and fire fighters and hell even had to pay a bird protection agent to walk the beach in pismo to make sure the snowy plovers didn't land during the racing. That was 25 grand just for that lame. These guys put up a shit ton of money and put on one hell of a show and the more money they make the more races there will be. New Jersey for some years and then finely a west coast one at pismo and now bonniville hell I will support this until it's over. Look at what trog has done. Now there's hill climbs and dirt drags and private ranch racing. Guys see trog and think hell I can get something going too, and now look we can all build cars and race. "Oops I guess not all of y'all" some spend way to much time letting your fingers do the talking". Get your know it all asses out there and build a car show up and race then talk about how badass and as Ryan said how beautiful life really is when your a old car junky.

15. Trog events are all about taking you back in time. That's why guys wear cloths from the 20-50s costumes are what kids wear on Halloween. And I'm sure Mel wanted the poster to look as if it was made in the 40s. And it's their oilers logo. Now I'm getting pissed every ones bagging on Mel and have never meet him. He's a great, kind, bare foot crazy as hell badass. Instead of bagging on him and the boys and girls of trog just stop looking and typing at it and about it. Every one wants to talk smack about people they don't know. This site is like being in high school lots to learn from and a hole bunch of bullshit drama.

Felipe Toltecatl likes this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Watch it man... You are doing exactly what you were bitching about. You haven't been reading the HAMB or TJJ if you don't think we support TROG. By and large, this place is very supportive of the event. And, of course, the event isn't some people's thing... and they have a right to their opinion. They are welcomed to it.

This kind of blow hard shit is exactly what makes me hate the internet/social media at times. These are old cars... We all like them. We are on the same team. Some fellas need to stop trying to screw all this up. You'll never succeed... and no one cares. Cuz this shit is fun whether you want it to be or not.

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

W.T.P.? (Pluck, to avoid the censors)
    I photograph SpeedWeek and I have 'raced' at SpeedWeek.
    It is beyond description.
    But it aint easy and it aint cheap
    Back in the 90's if you happened to walking around the pits and someone needed help they might ask you for some help and the reward might have been,,, what to take it for a pass?
    But those days are over,, Rookie Orientation, Drivers arm bands (each one $450), Roll cages, fire systems, fire suits, racing tires, and the list goes on.
    So now Average Joe Rodder is on the side line, just like drag racing.
    But wait we have HAMB drags and the fun returns
    So maybe TROG will bring back the fun, at a low speed, for Land Speed.
    I have been 100 mph on the salt and 160 on the dirt, each one was a blast
    Each one was history to me.
    So sit down, shut up and lets have some fun,,,,,
    I might even build one
    Hey Mel, where are the 'suggestions' for a build???
    How about a Tank? A Modified, or a copy of the SoCal Streamliner
    And Thanks,,,,

mctim64 and The Arizona Old Crow like this.
  18. Hey, the dates ARE set in stone,right?
    This Is happening RIGHT?

19. Patinaford

Patinaford

Same question ??? Booking a room

20. titus

titus

Im a grown man and i get a little into the spirit, if youve never been to trog you cant knock it, the guys it attracks attracks them cause they can go out and beat the hell out of their car, some of the people coming to the event as a spectator might be the above you talk about but sure as hell not the races, its all about the cars.

and a view like this at the end of the track
    IMG_9461.jpg

21. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Get a reality check fellas, coming from a country where running without fenders may lead to a swat team on your front lawn, you guys get a chance to race on a beach, on the salt, shit, what's all the complaints, go drive your hot rods.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sko_ford, burnzy37, mctim64 and 17 others like this.
  22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hah ha ha ha ,....
    Fuck yea........

sko_ford and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  23. brady1929

brady1929

TROG is just plain bitchin! PERIOD!
    I only wish that I could be a part of it.

buelligan likes this.
  24. My god... It's like you were reading my mind.... I sat here for a minute saying "Oh Damn" out loud with my hand over my mouth after reading your post until my wife asked me what the hell was my problem...... AWESOME!

The37Kid likes this.
  25. Mike

Mike

The post about Lattin being ok with this appeared while I was still typing my post.

I did notice that the "cease and desist" post with the names of SCTA President Pat McDowell and BNI Chairman Bill Lattin at the bottom is still up on the SCTA facebook page with no retraction. That could be an oversight.

Maybe the SCTA is ok with TROG using the logo, maybe not. Either way, I don't like it, but that's just my opinion, and my opinion really doesn't matter.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  26. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

This thread was brought to my attention by a scencester poser who has refused to got to TROG since it's inception. I, still being a very good friend of said hamber, have attended all of them that I could, 4 or 5 now.
    I have gone back and forth with the idea of trying to get my car on the beach when it's finished...we shall see. The first year my car wasn't accepted but I took it all the way down there anyway...it was incredible.
    The people I've met there have become friends and peers alike, and the cars are always killer.
    Go back and read the original thought process thread that Mel had ...he succeeded and it seems people have an issue with that now...thats sad.
    If I could make it to the salt I would...
    And if you leave your moustache wax at home, hit me up!

27. Elrod

Elrod

Haha. Genius! :)

paintslinger805 and general gow like this.
  28. Pete

Pete

IMG_1485.PNG

How could anyone possibly say that this is a poser event?? have your pulse checked.

wow, this has totally been blown out of proportion, but im not surprised.

How can racing a car on the beach not be fun? I dont care if your only hitting 55mph and spinning tires most of the way, its f-ing awesome! I don't dress up in a costume or have a mustache...but I did offer mustache rides a few years ago for 5 cents...no takers.

Have you ever been to VLV, now theres a costume party, but I dont care either way.

I guarantee if Mel said it was going to be held at Muroc you guys would still bitch. These events are an awesome alternative to parking lot shows, than again I bet theres a handful of HAMBERS that own bumper babies and giant professionally made signs that get placed around thair cars at shows.....Honestly, If thats your thing...good for you. But you really shouldnt call people out for participating it an event that you dont like....thats a poor quality.

waxhead, mike bowling, Xman and 15 others like this.
  29. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

From a graphic design standpoint. I think the oilers poster is brilliant. Its to the point, not over wordy. And you know exactly what the event is about and located with limited info. Its really is brilliant. They borrowed influence from a well know mark, but did not plagiarize. With design, borrowing inspiration from another artist happens, no matter what the medium is. Its actually a compliment. I take it as a compliment. Sometimes the original artist/organization is not flattered, but they inspired another. The oilers conceived the message that they wanted relayed very effectively.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. trailerpark

trailerpark

LOL! This is funny. Guys will take years to build a traditional car, spend thousands on original speed equipment and don't have the balls to wear clothes of the era they are building the car for. It just adds that little something extra to the experience. If you don't get it that's fine, just stick you some 20" wheels on your car with some neon lighting under it and go sit in a parking lot or just go buy you a new camera. But, If you like traditional hot rods this is a way to get a little closer to being in that time your car represents.

sko_ford, paintslinger805 and pat59 like this.