Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Real Value of Working on Old Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kmrumedy, Jun 10, 2017.

1. BradinNC my called it the same thing too. LOL. and when he wasnt working at {Bell labs now A.T&T} he repaired T.V.s on the side when they were still repairable. Bruce.

BradinNC likes this.
  2. img703.jpg I love working on old cars. When I 1st started bringing them home. My dad used to say Bruce you wouldn't be happy if you didn't buy a car with out rust! LOL. I always had 4 or 5 old cars around waiting in line to be repaired or to be painted before my 2 failed total ankle surgerys drained all my $$$$.But I always have 1 to work on like the 56 Chrysler Windsor. It just takes me a little long to get around. Damn if I didn't have old cars to work on I would be in the house all day watching Dr. Phil and would be as big as a house. OLD CARS RULE! Bruce.

rjones35, BradinNC, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  3. I look back on all the work I did on the Ford in the past almost 3 years despite a back injury and a close call with the heart attack. It looks great considering what I started with. Great therapy to keep the mind occupied and the hands busy. I have countless hours invested in part research. I have parts left over from things that didn't work out as intended... save them for the NEXT build. I figure I have a few more cars left in me.

kmrumedy and Bruce Fischer like this.
  4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The real value for me is teaching my son to use his hands and think, instead of playing video games. He can then move on to newer cars with a bit more complexity, which he has. It makes him more self-reliant and confident as his knowledge grows. I'm proud of that.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. BradinNC

BradinNC

I almost got into that field. worked for a tv repair guy my senior year. Spent most of my time cleaning old rotary tuners and working on antennas on slick roofs. Glad I didn't venture that way. they are all throw away now. The plus side of that job was he had a niece working in the store who was a stone cold fox, my age, hourglass figure. Very hard not to drool when around her.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  6. All three family cars are at least 15 years old, and I work on all of them just to keep them going and save money I can't afford to spend. I am retired, and have the time to do that and work on my '29 AA, but the money thing continues to be a roadblock. Still, wrenching regularly on anything is peaceful (as long as I'm not under a time constraint), and no car payments makes up for the occasional $50-200 parts costs for repairs. Someday when I can figure out where to scrape up $5-6K, I will complete the truck I started in 1974. In the meantime, everyone in the family stays on the road as cheaply as possible.

61Cruiser, Bruce Fischer and kmrumedy like this.
  7. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

I've spent the last 3 days working on a friends 69 vette. I know that the vette doesn't qualify for this forum but I just wanted to say that to me this car is my mates pride and joy but he can't get proper mechanics to fix it for him without screwing him on price or taking months to do nothing so he asked me. It's hard work as I'm fixing all the worn out stuff in the front end as well as trying to correct other people's butchery. At the end of the day though I'm tired with a few more cuts and abrasions but I know his car will be safe and I've been active and done something I'm proud of. Without a full time job at the moment this feeling of accomplishment is important. Working on cars and repairing other stuff keeps me from going completely nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kmrumedy and Just Gary like this.
  8. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dont like red/black paint jobs but yours looks so good I may have to change my mind

kmrumedy likes this.
  9. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Her hair was blond????..........by golly she is a blond!