Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Pagoda City Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by IronTrap, Nov 25, 2015.

1. IronTrap

IronTrap

Been burning the midnight oil. Making progress. Got the plug wires all finished on the engine and some other odds and ends done. Also got all of the pedals in place and the return springs hooked up. Man was that a relief it all fit and worked with everything 100% in place with how much shortening, heating and bending, etc. I also filled the steering box with some fancy grease/oil a friend had luck with in his '32. Need to blast the headers and build the exhaust before I can hook the steering up for the last time.

Hoping through the end of this week I can get the fuel tank back in and the fuel line run to the front of the car. If the wiring shows up in time I'll also start laying all of that out. Exciting to think this thing might make noise here soon!

Couple shots from the past few nights because everyone loves pics.

shopnight.jpg plugwiresdone.jpg coupe_rear.jpg

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Those heads are fricking awesome!!

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Tim, Jet96, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  4. YJ4000

YJ4000

The nighttime picture is awesome!!

Ryan.

5. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ X2

6. IronTrap

IronTrap

Been a busy week/weekend trying to get stuff done on the car. Lots of small little things done. Biggest thing was I had a friend bend up the pipes to go down around the center cross-member/pedals. I adjusted them to fit the headers and welded them up and blended my weld seams so it looks like it all flows as one. Need to make the frame mounts for the tailpipes and I can paint them up black to make them disappear and install for the last time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got my wiring and a buddy is coming over tonight to help me lay out the harness and all that jazz. Also ran my hard line for the fuel yesterday and just need to install a barb fitting adapter into the fuel pump so I can hook up the flex line from the hard line.

Also having a little shop party this Saturday with Gene being in town and I need to get the shop cleaned up too, not much sleep in my future!

exhaust1.JPG exhaust2.JPG exhaust3.JPG

7. pumpman

pumpman

Getting closer, looking good.

8. IronTrap

IronTrap

9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

10. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. The laugh at the end made my laugh to. So satisfying! Good work.

12. brady1929

brady1929

13. oj

oj

Gotta love a channeled coupe, they're the tits!

14. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

this thing rules man!

15. IronTrap

IronTrap

Slowly making progress on this thing. Been messing with the pedals a bunch as now that it's sorta drivable they need to be tweaked and adjusted to get them working better. Probably the most difficult part of this car has been using floor mount f-1 pedal stuff and channeling it so hard. I think I have it all figured out and need to do a little more heating and welding and they should be good to go.

Also cobbled together a choke setup for the car. Took an old aftermarket cable choke setup with a neat knob and scavenged the knob and mounting sleeve. I then welded up an extension and Z'ed a spare choke rod from a 46 Ford truck. Tapped the knob and opened up the sleeve and I have a pretty neat looking setup. These stupid small details make me so happy haha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hoping by the end of the month it'll be at a point I can take it out for a real drive. For now it's just joy rides around the block to find all of the glaring issues.

Couple photos below of it after my drive around the block yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Car really has "the look". Great job

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

18. 51box

51box
    from MA

Awesome! ^ Agreed, has a great east coast look

BuickBry likes this.
  19. IronTrap

IronTrap

Thanks guys, it's looking more like a car every day! Busy weekend trying to tie up loose ends on the car, heating and tweaking headlight stands, shimming grill shell, setting the height of the pedals, etc.

Big things I need to tackle before putting some miles on the car is 1. Adding an inline, low pressure fuel pump to push the fuel up over my frame step. When the tank gets sorta low the stock pump won't pull the fuel. 2. I also need to make notches for the rear wishbones as they're banging on the body over big bumps/rough road. Hoping to get the wiring for the lights all run so I can finally wrap and secure it in the car. I'm getting excited to put miles on it visiting friends and lending hands on their projects!

20. IronTrap

IronTrap

21. Wow. Did you know there is an identical deja' vu-ish thread by a guy in another HAMB dimension, by the name of Matt@Eastwood ? Same coupe looking thing too. And shop ! Man, am I stoned ? :)

Looks good, whoever you are ! Matt is gonna' be pissed. Ya' copycat ! Get your own HAMB build, you !

brEad and IronTrap like this.
  22. 51box

51box
    from MA

Check out Airtex E8016S fuel pump, its 2.5-4.5 psi max and is external mount. E8371 is a 2-4psi max in-tank pump. I bought one after seeing Titus speak highly of the quality. It's small and supposed to be very quiet.

23. IronTrap

IronTrap

Ah cool. I got a facet cube pump as I heard good things about those and they are quite small. Waiting for it to arrive so I can drop it in. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Man that looks great! When do you add the dirty white walls, cycle fenders and nerf bars??!!!

brEad likes this.
  25. IronTrap

IronTrap

The cycle fenders keep crossing my mind, but I think I like it better with blackwalls, looks a little more like it "means business". I think my roadster I'm working on next will have the cycle fenders and whitewall combo!

brEad and cactus1 like this.
  26. IronTrap

IronTrap

Been driving the car around a bit and trying to shake out the issues. Been fighting a misfire issue that has seem to gotten worse. I think I was the stupid clip on plug wire ends I was trying to run. Got a set of NOS sealtight connectors and threw them on last night. Hoping that fixes my issues I've been fighting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also found that the stock pump couldn't pull fuel when the tank got below 2-3 gallons and would act up. I added a facet pump right at the tank outlet and that should push the fuel up over the step in the frame. Hopefully that solves that issue!

I also totally forgot to add oil to my fan pulley and that seized on me last time I drove the car. Good thing I had a few spare! Gonna throw another on tonight and hopefully drive it some more this weekend.

On a good note I got the confirmation the car was accepted to be displayed indoors at Jalopyrama so that's pretty cool!

[​IMG]

j-jock, Tim, lowroller1 and 3 others like this.
  27. That is the best box art I have ever seen. Ever!

28. IronTrap

IronTrap

Putting some miles on it here locally. Coolant temps and oil pressure all great. Little hesitation/miss at higher rpm's/throttle positions so I may try and play with the Vacuum break a little to see if I cure it. Otherwise just tweaking and fixing stuff as I notice issues.

Scored a killer vintage plate topper at a local swap on the 4th. Need to move around the taillight to make it fit I think. It'll find its way on to the car somewhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Love the tag topper!

30. IronTrap

IronTrap

Jerry @HomemadeHardtop57 is a local buddy and he has been learning upholstery and offered to redo my crappy S10 seat I narrowed for this car. I wanted something simple and not too flashy and he knocked it out of the park! Here's a few photos of it when he finished. I'll add a few more once it's installed here soon. I'm going to try and roll out a roof insert on my wheel next week and then have Jerry cover the insert to match the seat.
    f6395711a3682ddbc54cfd5b90c38430.jpg DSCF0438.JPG

clunker, koolkemp, T-roaster and 12 others like this.