Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical what can be done to a Ford 272 Y-block

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1955 F-100 guy, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Get a Tri-power setup for it, drop in a nice mechanical Cam with a good lope, and Run it. The Tri-power setups for these things are like half the cost of an SBC.

62rebel likes this.
  2. RmK57

RmK57

1/8 mile?

Old wolf likes this.
  3. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

weed.png
    I love Fords, but really...

4. Got to watch those 3-2 set ups, some flow a lot better than others, there is a thread on here about good and not so good intakes. And all ford Y blocks are mechanical cams.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. What is a "B" intake? I have heard guys mention that before.

I have a Ford 4 barrel intake for mine, the 57 version for the "large" 4 barrels. Is that what you are refering to? I have heard they are a good flowing intake.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

to everyone who has concerns that truck was SOLD -- the reason I am asking is I got this SUPER nice project here and am looking for advise which way to go-- so if you do not have any advice and have a F-100 to give me advise-- ZIP IT---

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well allrighty then. I'm sure nobody intended to offend your delicate sensibilities ;)

How 'bout some pics? We like pitures

8. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

Thanks for all your helpful advise will have to decide-- Thanks

9. The "B" intake is the '57 version that has a standard Holley bolt pattern... the best of the factory manifolds. The "A" was the earlier 4-barrel manifold that used the old Toilet Bowl Holley/WCFB bolt pattern. I ran one of the A manifolds with a WCFB on a .125 over 292 years ago... probably gave up some top end, but with 12-1 pistons, Weber cam and polished and ported "G" heads it had great throttle response on the street. Sure surprised my brother-n-law in his 396 Camaro one day...

10. I have one of these
    offy.jpg
    this offy is made for smaller port yblock heads
    a 272 should have the smaller ports
    I think the 292s got the larger ports
    this place has a lot of good info
    http://www.ford-y-block.com/techincal.htm

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

My 58 F1 has a 292 with b manifold and ECZ? heads. It has 183k on the odometer, low oil pressure, and roasts the shit out of my tires. I love it. Keep it.

12. Ive heard the spun cam bearing myth a number of times over the last 50 years. And I never tore down a not oiling Y block that had a spun cam bearing. And Ive took apart dozens of them. The passages where clogged with sludge. Or the main ,rod and cam bearings so worn it couldn't pump oil to the rocker arms. They are a poor design and ford only used them for 10 years in trucks and 8 years in cars.

13. I have a question? how many miles where put on the Highway mans Y newly built block before it threw a junk iron fit?

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Having run and owned many Y block powered cars and trucks . I say keep the good motor you already have and run it until it gives you problems. Then decide whether you want to put a modern motor in the truck. Y blocks are good motors. Most were run on non detergent oil and not changed often enough.
    So they plugged up from sludge. Remember the old Quaker State sludge layer in the bottom of the oil pan when you dropped it? It was usually 2 knuckles deep around the pickup screen.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  15. Ouaker state and Pennzoil are black oils. My brother in law bought new a 69 chevy wagon. 327 2bbl and he changed oil and filter every 2000 miles. He used quaker state. After the body rusted away He drove it from Indiana to Arkansas and gave it to my dad. only 90,000 miles and the engine ran poorly. I got the 327 and was just going to change the timing chain. That mill was full of sludge You would think he never changed the oil or used a non detergent oil. The Y blocks all seem to have excessive blow by. That and no PCV and they to me seemed to become more sludged up than most other engines. I stsrted out with Y blocks. My first truck was a 55 ford short bed. It had a 56 car engine 292 with a holley tea pot carb. The blow by fumes would come up thru the steering collum. Leaky rear main. Dry rocker arms. low oil pressure. I took the engine apart ringed it and it never was what I would call a good engine. It would smoke the 670-15 rear tire and was a rust free body. Drove like crap and I had traded a $50 horse for it. Sold it for $65. The next guy installed a nailhead from a 57 buick in it. He drove it a few years then traded it in on a state surplus 64 chevy window van suburban that was a 230 six and powerglide.

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It all comes down to what you want.

If you want the experience of a true 1950s era vehicle.....it's performance and limitations. The Y block is for you.
    If you want a hybrid 1950s suspension with 70s-90s engines likely what you have had experience with the Challenger or W motor may be better for you. They do accept overdrive automatics.
    If you want to go the least expensive route.....it may be close to a wash but I think it's much more economical to use the original type engine and transmission. No after market mounts, no custom drive shafts, no custom shifter and no exhaust problems. Then there is the rear axle.
    If you want a modern vehicle dressed up as a 54 I would go with a Challenger (289-302) or a 351 W.
    The Y blocks really are good engines I really like them. 2nd gear with headers, pipes and Smithys is a blast but as said with the Y you are limited to 1950s 3 speeds.....which I enjoy.

Now it you want a monster.....FE 390-427-428.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

Not to get anybodys sensibilities offended, I simply noticed that the 54 Effie you posted at the start of this thread is the same one I saw you posted last Friday in the classifieds. Again I'm sooooo sorry

El Caballo likes this.
  18. cmarcus

cmarcus

One of the guys in my club has been running a Y-Block in his Model A for close to 4 yrs, puts nearly 3,000 miles on the thing every year.

[​IMG]

crminal likes this.
  19. glrbird

glrbird

March-Meet-2016-Famoso-Saturday-launches-61.jpg
    March-Meet-2016-Wheelies-37.jpg
    Both these cars run y-blocks with parts from John Mummert (www.y-blocks.com) The falcon will run high 10's, coupe dips into the 9's. There are tons of parts to make you truck a fun driver, even 5 speed transmission adapters. If the cam bearings are in right, the y-block has no oiling problems. but you can make the rockers full preasurized if you want, John also sells aluminum heads (50 hp bolt ons) manifolds and all thing needed to make your y-block what you want.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've had numerous Y-blocks since '59, some 'fast', some Real Fast. Mostly dependable, when maintained.
    I've had a couple of 350 Chevs in my '55 F100 (since '72) but they could have been ONE 292" Y, with some simple mods. But both 350s were gifts. (each 350, two separate times!)
    The Chevs were dependable, went in and came out easily, and stirred some controversy. My '55 Chrysler Hemi also fits right in there...so does my 454 Chev and 455 Olds.
    I'm just gettin' too tired to change 'em...

21. Nope, a full 1/4. The owner/builder/driver was Dave Bliss and the car was originally built for a local 'Pro Gas' class (9.50 index). This was a full-tilt race car, not even close to street legal. Dave kept tweaking on the car, and eventually got a 8.9 pass out of it at Bremerton Raceway. Dave is mostly retired these days, but was the 'go to' Ford guy in the NW for years for those in the know...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. 56longroof

56longroof

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Musta been the gas that was available back then? The Two Mummert Y block vehicles in a previous post are barely that fast?

24. Perfect, thanks. Yep, I see the "B" part now in y casting number. I'm excited to see how my engine will perform once put together. It has a decent cam, ECZ-C head but the larger valves installed, and now this intake I picked up at a local Swap meet

IMG_5012.JPG

Boneyard51 and warbird1 like this.
  25. 62rebel

62rebel

Ford US might have dropped the Y in '62, but they were used in almost every Ford built in South America into the '80's and have been a proven performer for them. They even developed Windsor type heads for them.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. birdman1

birdman1

I had a '56 ford cheep 2-door hardtop in the '60's. 292 , 3-speed stick and 4;11 gears and factory duals. i put on a factory 2x4 intake and mallory dual point distributor. I could beat 283's on a regular basis. was a good runner.

Desoto291Hemi and warbird1 like this.
  27. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

Y-Block Power -- John Mummert Parts

Attached Files:

williebill and egads like this.
  28. sunbeam

sunbeam

Remember Doug Nash he had a 289 Bronco in the 8s in 1966 I'll admit the car was really light. As far as a Y block do a little checking a 57 G head will out flow any 57 Chevy head.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  29. Gman0046

Gman0046

At the very least I'd replace the 272 with a 312 which is a easy bolt in swap.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ditto on the 312! We put one in a 1956 F100, back in 1965. Basically stock, ECZ heads, dual exhaust, 3:93 rear end, 6:70 x15 mud grips. At 50 mph on a dirt road by the ranch, I could stomp the gas, the four barrel would open and both rear wheels would start spinning throwing dirt out behind that truck for fifty feet. Most awesome engine ever!

Bones