Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel sender sock, is it needed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mojo, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Mojo

Mojo

Just pulled the tank from my 64 Riviera. The sender sock was in pieces in the tank. Do I need to replace it, or just put a high flow filter before the fuel pump? My fuel pump is electric, mounted about 10" from the tank. It has a built in filter also.

If I should put another pickup sock on, does anyone have a source for a stainless steel one? I don't want to do a nylon one, just to have it fall apart from alcohol in the fuel.

2. Fordors

Fordors

The sock was not only intended as a filter but it also was made of a material that would swell and close up if there was water in the tank. I don't know if alcohol in today's gas would cause one to fail, or was it just old age?

3. The repop stuff for the tri fives caused issues years back. I left them all the senders I changed. If it was mine I'd leave it off.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Better to leave the crud in the tank than suck it through the pump into the carb. Cheap insurance. Wouldn't hurt to run another transparent one just before your mechanical fuel pump. Replace when necessary as you'll be able to see the condition..

51 BIRD likes this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

I have a couple farm tractors that we use to cut grass. We keep gas in 5 gallon cans. Every once in a while a tractor stops running. More than once it has turned out to be a lady bug or five blocking the fuel line. Check the cans the bugs are in them. Yes, I know they should be capped.
    Do you need a fuel sock? No. Do you want a fuel sock? Yes.

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

You can always put a filter in the tank if you can't find a sock. . Won't plug up if run clean gas.

8. BradinNC

BradinNC

If you can't find a stainless one, I would make one out of brass mesh.

9. I just run 2 see thru filters on my 56 Chrysler.Bruce.

10. See thru filters will melt from heat are an accidental fire. I just change the filter periodically.
    Use a marks a lot to date the metal filter and change it every other year are so. Depending on your driving.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

There was no sign of my 47 Lincoln ever having one, so can't say it did or didn't. It still doesn't, I just put a clear filter just before the electric pump, right dead center in front of the tank. The exhaust is far enough to the sides of the tank I don't see it being a fire problem even if the filter starts leaking. Not saying it couldn't happen.

12. squirrel

squirrel

13. indyjps

indyjps

Shameless plug, tamraz is about 10 minutes from me, stocks most of what i need for my current project. Good to deal with and gets a lot of my money. Does most of its marketing thru ebay, dont let that scare you off.

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There were problems with the tank filter bags when unleaded fuel came out. Standard operating procedure was to blow air into the fuel line to the tank to dislodge the bag and adding a filter to the line near the tank.

15. Mojo

Mojo

I sent them a message to see if that's brass screen, or just nylon.

16. Mojo

Mojo

I'll try to find or make one. I believe the old one was original. I think I got it all out of the tank. The 10yr old gas smelled like brake cleaner mixed with apple cider. Tank still had a factory marker number on the top, which I thought was interesting.

17. doug warren

doug warren

18. doug warren

doug warren

Sammy at Az.Model A's has the old style glass bowl typ firwall mounted filter/water seperator I believe and you could mount out back,glass bowl to check condition and has brass screen you could clean. Thats just one source I know. E-bay maybe another.

19. squirrel

squirrel

The most important things are to make sure the tank is pretty clean inside, and then to use the car regularly. If there is flaky rust in the tank, you'll be time and money ahead to replace it now, instead of trying to clean, seal, magic treatment, etc. And once you get the fuel system working, you need to not let it sit with the same fuel in it for a long time (more than a few months). that seems to be the biggest problem with the old cars I've worked on, is sitting for a while and the gas getting sour.

20. Mojo

Mojo

The tank looks to be spotless inside so far. I had white crystal powder at the filler neck, but hopefully its only there. The Riv had been partially restored (rebuilt motor, trans, new paint and interior) then parked because of wiring issues. Sitting in the desert heat killed all the rubber. The hoses in the engine compartment make crunching sounds when you squeeze them. Sitting is damn hard on a car.

21. If I had to use a glass bowl filter it would only be under the hood in a well protected area. I'd avoid anyplace under the chassis or near the fuel tank or rear axle area. :eek:

22. stimpy

stimpy

yep and I am 10 minutes the other side and I used to work right around the corner from them and been doing business with them since the late 80s when he first opened , he has lots of good stuff ... and the one in elburn too .. , I use the stainless jag filters as I have a ready source for them , the brass ones if the fuel sits too long sometimes eats them up ( depended on the alloy and if it was a e-10 fuel ) , on some I adapted the model t stick type filter to the end of the line , had to do this on my lawn equipment as my glass bowl inlet was plugging with fine clippings and dirt

a sock in the tank will not cause vapor lock like a out of tank filter will as the in tank one is surrounded by cool fuel and has a slight gravity pressure on it from the liquid , so vapor bubbles will not form, plus the fine screen ones will stop water from coming thru , the external ones get warm and stay warm and when suction is placed on it , the line restriction can form the vapor bubble . ( vapor lock) on many that have this problem I often had to resort to a low pressure in tank pump ( monza /sunbird from 70's ) or a 1/8th return line from the carb or engine pump back to the tank ..