Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL Wheelstander underconstruction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Sep 30, 2012.

1. nuts_over_glass

nuts_over_glass

Your truck was partially responsible for lighting the fire under my ass to get mine done... Keep it up! Maybe one day we can run them together![​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H901 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Good evening to all.I have some progress to post.May not look like much but believe me this was dozens of hours of welding,cutting,refitting and rewelding..I took both of the wheel wells back out ,because I hated the fit and they were not even from side to side buy 1/2 inch(don't know how it happened but it did) Now they are in as even as can be,better than dodge ever did,fully welded.
    All of the bed floor is in and welded 100% just need s lots of finish grinding. The front end is fully welded and DONE(just needs grinding). Steps to wheel houses and inner wheel house to the bottom of the wheel arches.
    Next onto finishing the bottom of the tailgate and making the roll pan that goes under the gate,then to the inner rockers(bottom of bed sides)
    A chance meeting of a friend that I don't see all that to often at the local diner I go to is going to paint the truck in the spring time.He is very good and not scared of the a crazy flake paint job. He also lives about 12 or so miles from me .We are going to get together more the closer I get to the end of metal work to talk about body work,paint, ect..... So more metal and more welding,no stopping till it's DONE.
    Chris dod1.jpg dod2.jpg

Attached Files:

• dod3.jpg
      dod3.jpg
      File size:
      233.6 KB
      Views:
    • dod4.jpg
      dod4.jpg
      File size:
      201.2 KB
      Views:
    • dod5.jpg
      dod5.jpg
      File size:
      252.4 KB
      Views:
    • dod6.jpg
      dod6.jpg
      File size:
      196.6 KB
      Views:
    • dod7.jpg
      dod7.jpg
      File size:
      207.5 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71, slack, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  3. Looks great!:D

loudbang likes this.
  4. Chris looks great! All that welding and grinding takes time. Keep at it!
    Tom

5. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Good evening, fellow hotrodders.This is a picture worthy post as I have finally made ,fit and installed the last major body panel that was missing that I cut off and threw out years ago.It is the roll pan that is below the tail gate. I now have a complete A100 again.It hides all of the rear spring mounts,tie down mounts and wheelie bar shock mts. The little notch in the middle on the bottom is for the link that attaches the wheelie bar to the bell crank that extends the shocks when the bar goes up.
    Chris dodge1.jpg

6. Looks great, nice work!

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work. Looking real good. Nice to have all the metal work finished.

loudbang likes this.
  8. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello again, it has been awhile. And of course progress is slow but it is all important.I am marching toward the end though. Fuel tank is mounted,yes that is a new moon tank,the brackets I wanted moon didn't have, so I made my own 1/4 5052. Trans cooler mounted, shifter cover made ,parachute done mounted and functional, and the fire system,lines and cable and brackets and installed.Also a ton of welding you can't see ,finish weld on the subframe and remount the engine again,after all the subframe final welding the u-joint was down by almost a full degree, now it is within 1/2 a tenth of a degree.
    Now on to 3 miles of stainless brake lines and a overly complicated bell crank heim joint shifter cable bracket on the trans.
    Chris

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    mad mikey, AndersF and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

10. the shadow

the shadow

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Good to see this cool ass project is still active. Looking forward to more updates.

12. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello ,30 miles northwest of Allentown.
    C.

13. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    That's the Coolest thing I've ever seen!.............Perfect!

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Coming along very nicely! Love the stance, and the attention to detail!

15. Fantastic! A lot of work in this monster. Keep us posted.:D:D

loudbang likes this.
  16. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello all again,this is not wheelstander related but it is. I have come to a point in my life that it is time for a change. I need to get out of northeast PA. I am looking very hard at the southwest US, one for the weather and 2 for everything else.Any and all opinions are welcome. From jobs and opportunity,to racing,car culture,things to do and see to life styles and yes to raise a family.So what ay all of you?
    Chris

17. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Cant help on your move. This Build is Awesome hope moving doesn't slow it down to much.

18. loudbang likes this.
  19. RDE

RDE

I left California after living there 50 years and came back to my birth state, Texas. The cost of living here is much less, taxes about the same but no state income taxes. Cost of doing business or building is a lot less here than in Ca. Depending on where you live here, the hunting and fishing is great, there are lots of car guys and the people are polite and friendly.

20. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Good evening once again,lots done,shifter linkage on the trans is finished.It's complicated, functional,and pretty,I should do this stuff for a living ;)I did cheat a little bit,I used a combination of parts from Areospace Componets and I made some brackets and spacers of my own.I also cut the back off of the Hurst Quarter stick and modified it for a B&M style shifter cable.
    Just for good measure I took some pics of the brake lines I ran in the cab. They are all stainless with AN fittings (Ridged flaring tool,same brake line bender I have had forever General is cast in the handle).Made my own line straightener for 20$ from hardware store pulleys and bolts.
    Next is brake lines to the rear and flex hoses to the calipers...........still looking for more info about the southwest too..............
    Chris

Attached Files:

21. loudbang

loudbang

You going to have two separate systems for the back brakes so you can steer while the fronts are in the air?

22. I'm in Chandler AZ , stinking hot, 117 today, but the evenings are great, no bugs, temp in the 80's. Cost of living is low, lots of car related activities, jobs are out there but not same $ as the northeast. PM me if you want more, what do you want for work ?

loudbang likes this.
  23. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello, Yes it has two separate brake systems(3 actually) you can't see in the pics but there is a master cylinder under the dash that operates the the stopping brakes with a foot pedal and that it has a tee on the floor to the left and right calipers on top of the rotor.
    The steering brakes are hand operated independent left and right each with it's own master. Left has 2 calipers as well as the right,so that makes 3 calipers on each wheel.
    Also as per the NHRA rule book MUST have separate steer and stop systems.
    Chris

24. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you drive that thing to work even once, you will be my hero forever.

-Abone.

25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If he drives it period he will be my hero. :D

OahuEli, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  26. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hi,the only reason to build anything is to drive it.............
    Chris

mad mikey, TFoch and loudbang like this.
  27. Jon being Jon

Jon being Jon

So lookin' forward for updates. Not every day and just anywhere we get to follow a wheelstander build!

loudbang likes this.
  28. exterminator

exterminator

OMGosh! And I thought the little red wagon was cool.Awesome!

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  29. carryallman

carryallman

what do the track owners pay to put on a show -w/ a vehicle like yours ??? really its no buddies business but yours & track owners BUT its not cheap building & maintaining that motor ????? we was just at cordove -world series of racing & there was a vw- wheel stander there - couldnt wheelie 1/4 mile 1st pass - so he backed up & did a full 1/4 mile one -really neat -had not seen one in several yrs ! GOOD LUCK