Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. There is a fawn at the end of the driveway - so I get Kim's camera and take a few pics - she's got a ton of Quick N Dirty stuff on her camera and wasn't going to tell!

2. Frank Taylor posted this on FB it's too cool. Dan lives 100 yards from this place
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Could it be that your " O " rings aren't sunk deep enough into the deck surface. Ed Middlebrook has run blown 354 Hemi's for decades. He says they're supposed to extend .010 above the deck and he has had problems with them lifting the head gasket. So he likes to set them at only .005-.006 above the deck surface.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  4. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Not a word about the open door! I love it!

5. savannahDan

savannahDan

I've read that Mr. Platt routinely did burnouts while holding the door open with one hand. I wonder if the picture is a burnout or dry hop gone wrong.

6. glrbird

glrbird

Back in those days, match racer put rosin down and would do sever across the line burnouts. they didn't have back up girls and only lap belts, so you held the door open so when you would back up, you could lean out the door to make sure you put the slick in the rosin tracks. most closed the door, some just held it open.

7. Sox & Martin Gold Dust.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  8. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

The anticipation is killing me. Did you test fire it yet? How is the smoking problem?

loudbang and Tudor like this.
  9. I heard he is just waiting to hammer down and drive around some folks this weekend

loudbang likes this.
  10. Woooo just got back. One of the best weekends of racing so far! Wasn't too hot - it was hot but needed a jacket at night - good racing at night. So lets see - got to the track and fired it up and drove around the pits to warm it up - FOG OUT! Like you can't see the other side of the pits.

So began a long long session of trouble shooting and head scratching. Put on the open valve cover and used ether to see if it was sucking oil through the valves - no effect - not much oil up there. But enough is there its not dry by any means. Thought it was sucking through the spark plug threads - put in new plugs and NO tubes and ran around the pit again - folks were not pleased.

Finally Gabriel said let's go get a diesel truck vacuum pump and see if we can suck the crank pressure low enough to seat the rings.

So off we go to Advance Auto and came back to make up brackets. We needed a pulley and asked everyone we could find - nothing turned up. Gabriel needed to make some practice runs befor 10:30 track closing so that pretty much ended Friday.

Saturday - I'm thinking no way are they going to let me run - oil is literally dripping out the header only on the passenger side. @HEMIBERT shows up about 9am with a crate full of pulleys and belts. Me and Gabriel use "Damn It Bob's" welder - fun guys - they have the Greyhound bus with the chicks on the bus windows - good no BS guys.

So while hooking up the pump Jimmy calls Gabe and says get 30w Non-Detergent oil. So I called @3dnsouth who was inbound and he searched until he found some at a Shell station

IMG_5209.JPG
    Sorry for the low picture count

So we finish the pump and pulley and drain the oil and wait for the new oil.

Here is the pump - no belt because it slung off after it did its job.

IMG_5257[1].JPG

We put in the new oil and Jimmy Huff gets there. We start it up and it smokes to beat hell. Jimmy says "whack it" I'm like ok. 4,000 rpm , 4,000 rpm - we can't see anything now - he says no WHACK IT - I put my head inside to watch the oil pressure - the Jimmy grabs the injection and the tach goes to 8,000 and back down and then 8,500 and back down and he did this about 6 times. Then we shut it off.

He says - tow to the start - do a short burnout and run down to the end hard - but only to 3rd gear - then let off the gas and drag it down to the end of the track with the clutch engaged.

That's it. No more smoke. Pretty much - its a little puffy but its a race car. Now at least I can race - thought it was going to be a zero run weekend. Go check the ladder and I got Gene Cromer 1st round! I know he's gonna take me out if I'm slow on the tree or anything - our cars are the same cubic inch and big giant cars to push at the top end.

Let me tell ya I could see light blue next to my fender all the way down the track! Words can't describe!

IMG_5258[1].JPG

So next round I got Silver Streak - so I'm gonna be done unless he breaks or red lights. :rolleyes: show time! Wheelie if you can't put em on the trailer as I always say. This is the Gopro but the outside shots must be higher :D

Really proud of the better half for backing me up - she did great and I don't really need hand signals I can read her face :mad:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    catdad49, powrshftr, brEad and 16 others like this.
  11. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I need video of you and Gene!!!!!

12. allwilly

allwilly

13. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Thanks for the ride. Snowman

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Great news!!! and great job!!
    Your video is way better than mine.

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Great news and good footage with the Go Pro.
    So if I'm understanding this, the vacuum pump plus the "back down on the engine" in third gear sucked the rings out against the cylinders enough to seat them! Amazing! I've learned something today for sure:eek:o_O:D

mad mikey, racer-x, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Fugg N A man!

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We're hav'n fun now!

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Great job. You guys are doing a great job of representing the era for sure.

19. The Moonlighter vid doesn't show anything because the GoPro isn't pointing directly to the left. It was fender to fender

Also we got hero cards now! JT wanted me to sign one - new at this so did my best
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we held a morning race

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

catdad49, brEad, Floater03 and 9 others like this.
  20. Ummm signed lithograph with a dick drawn on it!!!!! Hahaha you did the MCI!![​IMG]

Seriously I want a lithograph!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hatchet and loudbang like this.
  21. Hope the race re-cap video will show how close it was - I should have mounted the camera on the nose of my car pointing left.

Not a problem - do you want hairs ? Chapter 3.

Floater03, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Thanks for the shirt. my buddy Travis texted me today to let me know he got it.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Great video looks like you couldn't put the power down until it stopped bouncing

Sent from my SM-T805 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Bad ass Tony! Kim is great there! She'll be hamming it up in no time - and I could tell got you right in the groove there

mad mikey and Dog_Patch like this.
  25. Sure thing man! Guess you're heading to Bowling Green?

Yeah it breaking the tires loose in 2nd - you can kind of hear it sounds like a bog bit the car vibrates and I can tell the tires are breaking loose a little. Need to take a little out of the clutch I think. That was a 5.90 pass - it was faster than the race with Gene.

If Quian @Quain Stott checks in, I'm wondering if my MPH of 112 to Gene at 110 with same ET and all means that a gear change might help my car

enloe likes this.
  26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Heading out Wednesday in the AM

27. catdad49, Hang'emHigh, brEad and 8 others like this.
  28. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

WHAAAAAT?!!!! Driving around the legend!! At'a boy!!