Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs i feel stoopid, i need some advice, door stuck shut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Drive it around on some bumpy roads. maybe it will fall back into its bad habits.

Seriously, drive it around. the road vibration might loosen up the mechanism and alleviate what is bound up.

I had an Off Topic car, German brand that the passenger door would randomly not let you out. Once you tried the door from the inside the latch would get stuck in a half open/half closed position. Start car up, drive around the block, try door again, repeat. eventually I could get passenger out without crawling over center counsel and shifter. After a while I learned to carry a 5lb hammer and block of wood, when it would happen, get out, place block of wood over external door handle , beat on with hammer, open door.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. stimpy

stimpy

well atleast the 2nd wife isn't stuck in there with the engine running ...

I would try the upwards shiming method . or try shimming it inside to push the door frame away from the striker sounds like what one of the guys did in the shop with a bearclaw and pin , shimmed the pin out to far and jammed the whole lock together mechanically on the metal faces of the mechanism . can't open a interferance fit .

3. Slopok

Slopok

That's what's known as German Engineering!o_O

4. tred

tred

well, so far i pushed, pulled, cursed a lot, lifted, drank a beer and cursed more.
    no dice.
    i'm gonna get a buddy to come over and help me this weekend.
    stay tuned kids, there's more fun coming up right after the break!

5. I have an alternate route that will take a lot of beer.
    OK, here is how it goes.... Beer... Volunteer/victim.... Does the truck cab have a removable transmission hump? Hmmm.... Beer... Drill the screws out from the bottom and send in the victim/volunteer after removing however many parts of the powertrain....Beer.... Beer for volunteer/victim..... Buddies need beer too, beer run...
    Salute!!! ...Beer run....

NashRodMan likes this.
  6. patterg2003

patterg2003

I wonder if a borescope or inspection camera would be able to get up inside the door so you can see what is going on with the latch? It may aid in getting something up in the door to release the latch or perhaps show where to use a hole saw to make an access hole to get something to move it.

Odie398 and '49 Ford Coupe like this.
  7. Tred...if it makes you feel any better, I locked the keys in my 50 chevy delivery in Rapid City S.D. during the Sturgis ralleye. In the rain with 2 drunk bikers giving me advise on where to place the coat hanger. I finally gave up and called a lock smith. $50 later he used a wedge to gain access enough to pop the lock knob up with a coat hanger.

8. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Have you tried having an accomplice stand outside and catch the door while you sat sideways on the seat, pulled the latch and kicked it open with your feet. Yea, a little rough but maybe you need to go caveman on it to pop!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Your first ride was a Hereford heifer? oh, sorry- there is a car there.

patrick2965 likes this.
  10. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My bad here. It's the 47-51 latch. The 52 and up had the push button and no need for a special driver side door lock.

11. Not sure if it's the same- but I have a 51 gmc that the door got stuck shut on. I used a pair of curved forceps (I think, kinda like a cross between scissors and needle nose pliers for a dr?). I was able to reach in with the tip and trip the "catch" with them. I also was shining a flashlight in there so I could see where the assorted bits were.
    Good luck and once it's opened up post some more pics and details. Looks like a fun truck.
    Pm me if you have a question

"Son, never hit a man in anger--- unless you're certain you can get away with it"

12. Muttley

Muttley

When you do finally get it open, unbolt that latch and all the related parts and smash the hell out of them with a 2 lb. sledgehammer. It wont do any good but at least it'll be fun. I usually take it a step further and scream 'I win' while heaving whats left of an offending part in the trash bin. ;) :)

13. spanners

spanners

What's wrong with getting in "Dukes of Hazard style"?

14. tred

tred

well i believe it never rains in Hazard county, but here in Texas! it RAINS.
    so i guess i could get in "Dukes of Hazard" style, but then when it's raining, do i roll the window up and just sit in the truck and wait for the rain to stop?
    oooh! no! remote control power windows!
    man, this is gonna be awesome!

15. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Dukes hazard ?
    Daisy Dukes and door latches ?

image.jpeg

17. On more than a few occasions, my handy dandy Dremel with extension flexible drive shaft and quick mount larger cutting wheel have saved the day. Fast and easy and precise cutting a little at a time till you can get in there with something to get the dang thing open

belair likes this.
  18. Hey Tred, are you in Austin?

19. tred

tred

yes, i am.

20. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

How does this story end? Did you ever get the door opened?

21. tred

tred

not yet jay, i need two more hands and at least as many brain cells to help me, so i gotta wait until this weekend for a buddy to come over.

cretin likes this.
  22. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Try using wedges in every different direction - up, down, pitch, yaw, combinations - because you will find the position that takes enough pressure off the striker for it to open.

Start with one wedge in every possible direction and take it from there.

It will open.

23. stimpy

stimpy

in last doubt get the BLUE WRENCH out .... motto of several in the shop , , at first I thought the panels on my pontiac were stupid , but after seeing what you are going thru , I will enjoy drilling out the phillips heads ... to remove them .

Oh and when doing the 2lb sledge victory dance , make sure its away from any glass windows , as flying parts always seem to seek them ..

24. ...that's a Ford truck, not that anyone noticed!...bet she has a pretty face too,

25. I sent you a PM.

26. The first rule of shaved door handles, never lock your wind wings!!

27. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Funny about your original post as my '57's driver's door would pop open on right hand turns too. The original latches and poor hinge pockets contributed to that. It's been off the road for a while but bearclaws will be going in to update things. Maybe as was suggested get out and drive it some, making a few right turns, and it will work loose. Be careful tho! The extra shims you put in may have tightened things up too much. Or maybe just the right combination of pulling the lever inside and pulling on the door will work. Good luck!

28. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

After 2 events with doors popping open at the very worst time----(plus a few more that small people weren't involved) I put in BEAR CLAWS----NEVER had another problem. On the other hand, I never had to deal with shaved door handles. I did buy new reproduction door latches, which worked smoother, but after 5,000 or so miles, they started to pop open. Played with spring helpers and shims, some results, but not consistant. Bear claw style latches is a much better design, even on solenoid activators. The only problem I've ever had, would be you have to play with the door card upholstery to cover up the exposed area that the bear claws create--------All this doesn't help your YOUR situation, just a direction you might go in, when you FINALLY get the dumb door open. Bill

29. tred

tred

yeah, wow. bearclaw latches are literally only several dollars more than reproduction factory latches.
    arrrrrgh! what was i thinking!

belair likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

....plus some metal work to install them, usually. Unless someone now makes them to fit specific old cars/trucks?