Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Waiting for a Train - 1963 Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Drove it out of the garage today! I needed photo's to get the insurance ball rolling. There's still some items remaining, but I'm pretty darn happy with the way it's turning out.:D
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Oilguy, Todd553, saltflats and 5 others like this.
  2. Here's a couple more...the engine is much better than it was, but there's room for improvement (displacement;)).
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Lookin' good! I really like the wheel/tire combo. Party in the front, business in the back. Just like a weekend warrior might have run back in the day. You've made an exceptional Belair.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  4. @slowmotion - Thanks! As per your avatar, I'm running M&H muscle car DOT bias plys in the back. I'll post some better photos later.

loudbang and slowmotion like this.
  5. 51box

51box
    from MA

Wow great job, interior is perfect

Chucky and loudbang like this.
  6. Well, I guess it's time to call out the folks that did the steering and brakes. I'm not really into bashing people over the Internet, but I'm not driving back to this guys establishment to give him a piece of my mind, or fist. I figure, by calling them out, I may save someone a headache, or maybe cause a review of who plays with the wrenches.

Toy Box Rides in Black River Falls Wisconsin.

And, Mike, if you are reading this, directed here from my "glowing" Google review, you rank at the top of the 5 idiots I've met during my many years involved in the classic car hobby. Shame on your shop for doing the worst installation of the most important safety features of an automobile.

I drove the car around my nieghborhood last night. Everything is working as it should now.

loudbang likes this.
  7. I finally received my insurance verification from Grundy, so it was off to DQ with the family tonight. Maybe the sun will come out someday, so I can take some high quality pictures.
    image.jpeg

8. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

It's one bad big car. I'm looking at a 63 Impala locally. I'm all "geeked" up by your thread, because that's what I was thinking of doing. I like the Z11 cars of the day. Sweet ride, and thanks for the inspiration. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks great!!!You should be proud.

Chucky, loudbang and vetteguy402 like this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

Happy to see you got it sorted out, love the stance. Ive got a 63 impala on the backburner and this is giving me some good ideas.

Ive kept this pic saved for stance, this one just looks mean with the rake. But Im liking what you have going on with the front raised.
    846662-d4464692e9f0158ae8999a4b082dec39.jpg

Fact that PO was a shop is pretty bad news. I was thinking a non mechanic that got in over his head.

11. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Love the stance.

Chucky likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Personally I like the post cars like yours better than the hardtops It Looks GREAT. :)

slowmotion and Chucky like this.
  13. @indyjps - I really like the look of that Impala too!
    image.jpeg

41 coupe, loudbang and indyjps like this.
  14. After working a long day yesterday, I took today off.:)
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. After pulling apart the front suspension 3! times, here's where I'm at...
    1.) 100% stock front suspension, regular / light duty springs, new upper and lower bump stops.
    2.) 1" thick Global West coil spring spacers in the rear. Stock shocks work, no problems at all.
    3.) New springs at all corners from Rock Auto (for those that missed that earlier).

The front 3/8" spacers were a joke. They do nothing to raise the car, because the upper control arm bump stop touches even with no spacer installed. All they did was make the front end really stiff, and they put extra "curve" in the front springs. The springs then were in contact with the lower shock body - not cool. You would need ball joint spacers to make them really work, and then your car would look like shit (IMO).

My rims and tires are...
    15x5 American Racing vintage torq thrust polished with BFG 6.40/15 bias Silvertown black smooth sidewall
    15x8 Wheel Vintiques OEM steelies with M&H 275-60/15 DOT muscle car bias drag tire

Hope that helps!

16. I'm really liking this car! Unlike my model A sedan, I can actually see out of the rear window, and the side mirrors work too! Amazing!:D
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi Chucky.Good looking ride.What a mess you had to clean up.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

18. Loooks great!

1927graham, Chucky and loudbang like this.
  19. millelacsrick

millelacsrick

The car looks real nice, are you going to race it?

20. Hey Rick, Yes! The plan is to be at the MSRA SSFR at Brainerd this coming August and possibly some other tracks as I get more comfortable with the car. I did buzz it up to 6000 rpm the other day and it seemed to really enjoy it, as did I.
    Thanks for the replies all!

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like a great plan!!!
    Maybe we will cross tracks someday soon.

loudbang and Chucky like this.
  22. millelacsrick

millelacsrick

Hi Chuck. Have not missed a SSFR yet, Hope to race this year, need a posi for the 57 chev rear in my 48 chev

23. Room reserved for the Super Secret Fun Run! Hopefully I will see some HAMBers up there. The city where I live decided to cover my streets with tar and crushed granite.:mad: So, I haven't driven the car since BTT50's. I have been hammering (screwing, actually) away at the "honey-do" list (still need to build the stairs). I will get back to cars sooner or later...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

24. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

That sure is one nice lookin' 1963 chevy. Really like the color.

benchseat4speed, loudbang and Chucky like this.
  25. Well...the car I built and sold to help with my moving to our new house, is for sale. I'm not buying it though...search "Model A Gasser" in the HAMB classified's. It's a fine automobile, no doubt about it.
    image.jpeg
    This past spring our new (to us) house was nailed by a hail storm. We ended up with a new roof out of the deal, which looks exactly the same as the previous roof. However, my 2nd garage also got re-roofed which is awesome because it now matches the main house and it was upgraded with ice and water shield and they cut in three vents. This gets me closer to the goal of having an additional place to wrench on old cars. I also purchased 2 old SBC's recently for $80. Still waiting for that train...it's getting closer though.:)
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    ^^^^^^old roof^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^new roof^^^^^^^

26. Just wanted you to know I'm still around. Met with Ron Flood last week, we went over the build of my new (496) BBC, car is coming along well. Wishing you the best, Craig.

27. Bring that Chevy to Rock Falls tomorrow!

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Shouldn't tear up that rear end.
    Will you be runnin at the Meltdowns?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Spectating at the Meltdown Drags and looking forward to it! We went on the first drive of the season tonight, after swapping the fuel pump. Got to love the prices of the SBC stuff! The Dairy Queen treats were virtually free, compared to what things cost in the Mopar and Ford world!:D The wife and kids had a nice time too. I plan to run the car at the Fallout Drags this year for sure.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and Tickety Boo like this.
  30. Well, it's been awhile since I posted on this thread. It's hard to believe I'm creeping up on 10 years on the HAMB. I finished the deck on my house and also finished the garage! I've bought and sold a couple of project cars, realizing that one car is all I really have time and money for. Here's my newly finished garage...I ended up cleaning and reorganizing everything.
    image.jpeg