Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ya gotta drive em to get this pic- tornado and an A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bop, Jun 3, 2017.

1. b-bop

b-bop

On my way to a car show in Three Hills Alberta. I saw some great cloud formations starting to build. Didn't have my camera, but lucky to have my cell phone.

20170602_170157.jpg 20170602_170258.jpg 20170602_170424.jpg 20170602_173431.jpg

Rui, Dave Mc, waxhead and 54 others like this.
  2. Fordors

Fordors

Great photos, and it appears you have ice water in your veins too. Wow!

29bowtie and b-bop like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool way to produce very unique pics

loudbang and b-bop like this.
  4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

LostBoy likes this.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Are you crazy?!?!?!? I'd be hauling ass the other way!!!!!!!!

loudbang, Texas57, mgtstumpy and 6 others like this.
  6. Be careful we all know those things like to attack house trailers .It might go after their little cousin.

loudbang, mgtstumpy, '51 Norm and 6 others like this.
  7. Wow! That's impressive, probably get front row dibs in the next Hamb calender with it.:D
    Do you mind if I pinch a copy, and post it on my IG?
    Of course giving credit to you for taking it.

loudbang, mgtstumpy and b-bop like this.
  8. b-bop

b-bop

No problem Kiwijeff

loudbang and kiwijeff like this.
  9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

That looks like livin on the edge b-bop! I hope that thing was going away from you ,but it doesn't look like it.

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Did you need a fresh pair of skivvies after that? Yeesh

loudbang, mgtstumpy, 56don and 3 others like this.
  11. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow...:eek: that beats Gretsky running by your hotrod with the Stanley Cup big time. No match for a hotrod of course we know you had the power to blow its doors away in record time if need be. If a hotrod crosses the path of a tornado does anybody see its doors blown off...:D

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You must have grown up in Kansas.
    Great pictures!!!

14. patterg2003

patterg2003

Glad you stayed safe and were able to get good pictures. It is hard to run when tornados are unpredictable. There were a couple ditches to snuggle in.

I was working north of Fort Mac about 3 years ago when the sky turned dark purple and with 3 or 4 huge grey swirls going on overhead. The wind sounded like a trains through the portable camp buildings. It sure looked like a tornado was about to happen. There are 4 camps constructed of portables & each housed 100's of people. My camp was 3 stories on the highest ground around so I thought thats a tornado magnet. The evacuation alarms had everyone standing outside so it was one eye on the sky and the other on deepest part of the ditch. Fortunately it turned to a hard rain and it passed over. Alberta gets some interesting weather & it can change quick. I live in NW Ontario where the weather is less exciting.

We were at a family reunion in Three Hills where there was a late 20's Chev tudor stored in a garage on the farm. The car was in good shape, all original paint but flat tires. It had been parked a long time ago and was sitting in nice dry storage. It looked like some new tires & a little love that the car could go. It belonged to the family that owned the property and it was out of bounds.

I enjoy reading your travels. Thanks for sharing your latest.

29bowtie, brad2v and b-bop like this.
  15. WHOAL CRAP!!!! Bruce.

16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Wow!

loudbang likes this.
  17. Stopping on the side of the road and causally strolling around taking photos of your hot rod with a tornado in extreamly close proximity says a lot about you my friend,first you are crazy and secondly you have balls of steel! :D HRP

gonmad, 36 ROKIT, mgtstumpy and 7 others like this.
  18. There has to be a story with those photos.

Burny, loudbang and b-bop like this.
  19. As an Oklahoma resident and witness to two F--5's, you sir have my respect!
    Always enjoy your road trip threads.

20. Paul B

Paul B

Saw it on the news last night and today , looked for you in the background

21. rjones35

rjones35

Somebody shared your pic on Facebook, I thought I recognized that car. That's craziness!!

22. We've had 91 tornadoes in Missouri this year, double the average yearly total, and along with it softball-size hail. I don't even take my daily driver out in this stuff, much less precious tin. Nice pic, but you sure like to live on the edge.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I wondered if you would post the pictures here after I saw your car and trailer on Global news.
    I used to go to the Three hills car show every year when I lived in Hanna years ago.

I was mildly amused when during the Global news report Quinn Ohler read her copy saying that Three Hills was an hour and a half north east of Calgary. o_O :D
    Glad that the tornado was a relatively small one and damage was minor, and that it didn't hit the town.
    http://globalnews.ca/edmonton/videos/

24. b-bop

b-bop

HRP, I do it just to keep you guys entertained. Ha ha

i.rant, loudbang, gonmad and 4 others like this.
  25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I would have sworn this was photoshop. Wow what a picture.

loudbang, mgtstumpy, Montana1 and 3 others like this.
  26. Roadsir

Roadsir

Gotta love Mother Nature putting on a good show. Cool that you were able to capture a few images. You captured that strange eery lighting right before things get really bad.

27. b-bop

b-bop

OK, here is the story. We don't get a lot of tornado's in Alberta. The biggest was back in 1987 in Edmonton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_tornado. There have been a couple others, but we have lots of wide open space here so usually just a couple cows flying through the air. We don't have many storm chasers out here but I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I rolled into town and was looking to get together with some buddies from Red Deer. I ran into one on main street and was heading to the hotel they were staying at. I noticed some great cloud formations and thought I would head north of town where there is a road going to the top of the hill. I thought my bright yellow A would look good against the really dark sinister background.

When I parked at the top of the hill facing north, I noticed a big cloud of dirt starting to swirl about a mile away on the east side of the road. It started to get bigger and bigger and was heading towards me. My car was still pointed north, so I spun it around and headed back down the hill. The whole time trying to see it in my 3 inch peep mirror as it jumped the road and then started heading south. When I got to the bottom of the hill I could see it over my left shoulder so being the smart individual that I am, I jumped out of the car to snap some pics. I really did not plan on staying as long, and I wish I would have noticed the telephone pole so I would have moved away from it. The pole kinda messed up the shots, but in the moment I was not sure which way this thing was going.

I have watched all the storm chasers on Discovery Channel and now I watched with incredible fascination as the funnel started to grow and the dirt from the ground really started to churn. I left the door open and engine running and ran out into the field to make sure I got the car and funnel into the pictures. I was about 20 minutes from home when I realized I had left my good camera at home, but now in this moment I was pissed that all I had to shot with was my cell phone.

This was a once in a lifetime moment so I just kept rattling off pictures and video's as it slowly ground away the farm field moving from north to south about 200 yards away from the road. I was not too worried as it was moving very slowly and I had a couple escape routes and my trusty Model A would be able to outrun it. I did kinda giggle to myself when I realized that I had a piece of tornado bait hooked to the back of my car. The tornado then turned and headed east away from me and the town of Three Hills. It took the roof off a barn and removed the entire structure off of a class C motorhome while leaving the cab and chassis in the grass. And then it was gone, leaving nothing but a cloud of dirt in the air, and me with and ear to ear grin and once in a lifetime pictures to remember it by.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  28. LostBoy

LostBoy

Yeah like the other guys said, awesome pic, but I would have found out just how fast that thing could go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. I enjoy your adventures, and all, But, Man- Your NUTS!;)

30. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I actually think the telephone pole adds to the composition, especially in your second image where the pole and funnel mirror each other, one static, the other dynamic. But that's just my opinion. Really impressive shots, regardless.