Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I KNOW I'M NUTS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joee, Jun 3, 2017.

1. joee

joee

5am having coffee......my back is killing me from bustin my ass yesterday working on my hot rod,beatin,bangin,cuttin,welding.....i'm 71 years old and can't wait to get out to my garage this am to finish up some welding.....inside the dam little roadster with no room and welding laying twisted half on my back and side ...my arms in positions a yoga expert couldn't do ...with welding sparks landing all over me ....ever get one in ur ear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............some day, some day i'm gonna by me a new lincoln

dana barlow, brEad, BradinNC and 35 others like this.
  2. Glenn S

Glenn S

Yeah, a hot rod Lincon! Make shore it's got 12 cylinders!

OahuEli and Hatchet like this.
  3. Joee, know the pain! Am 71 also and I am setting here since 5am with a heating pad on the old back...the docs say I have arthritis in my spine so crawling around on the concrete floor yesterday under my 64 chev is not what they say I should do, LOL no couch potatoe here....gotta go blast some 31 doors today

brEad, timwhit, neilswheels and 7 others like this.
  4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have a lot of company. I'm doing nothing but trying to find a position I can get I to, that doesn't feel like a hot poker being stabbed in my back. I finally went to a Doctor , who gave me some meds and now I'm feeling dopey.

I wonder if I can hobble out to my shop today and grind that last weld, without my wife finding out. Might as well feel pain while having fun and getting the rod done so I can drive it before they throw dirt on me !

'Golden years' ? Bullshit !

brEad, neilswheels, loudbang and 8 others like this.

5. Joee, I feel your pain. I have had two left total ankle replacements that have failed and the right ankle is bad too from all the years of jumping off the back off trucks making deliveries for 20 years. Hard to get around but I do it just slower.Too top it off I was feeding the neighbors donkeys the other night and turned around to come up the hill my ankle gave out because I didn't have my brace on losing my balance and some how fell through the MIDDLE of the barb wire fence striking my head on a rock smashing my shoulder and tearing up both my legs on the barb wire fence. My wife found me crawling back up toward the fence and helped me back through it and got the bleeding stopped on both my legs. The big lump on my head has gone down but my shoulder is still giving me trouble {I hope I didn't screw up my rotater cup}But I am still working on the 55 Chrysler Windsor. Getting old just plain sucks!!!!P.S. I am not allowed to feed the donkeys from that spot any more per the wife. LOL. Bruce. HPIM2163.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  6. BJR

BJR

Bruce, hope you heal up fast!

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm only 41 but have arthritis like an old pro. I also cant seem to stay still. Always doing something. Today I get to change the tube in my tractor tire...250 lbs of dead weight. Also plan on getting out in the woods for a bit. Also have to split some wood...the list goes on. Hope I can still do it at your age.

8. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

71 here too. Iced both shoulders, 2 Advil, breakfast, off to the Hobby Shop. I'll figure out what to do when I get there.

9. I guess I'm a kid in this bunch at 67 but I too have may share of aches & pains/

Remember,"Old age ain't for sissies" :D HRP

10. I'm beat up too and only 62. Injury from a car accident is the worst part, I can't get under a dash too well. I had a close call with the heart attack 8 months ago, I'm 95% back from that ordeal. But I still work on my ride every chance I get, keeps me going.

11. 77 here,, I feel for ya',,,,,bad knees are my problem,,

12. partssaloon

partssaloon

70 here, your brain says get out there an do it but your body says think again.

13. mike bowling

mike bowling

I thought you had to be 70 and crippled to get on this site??
    Coffee and Ibuprofen at 6am; activities at 7am.
    Adult beverages in the evening.
    4-5 hours sleep.
    Of course I feel crappy!

brEad, neilswheels, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. town sedan

town sedan

My how I can relate. Only 56, but feel like an easy 70. Was run over last year on Black Friday. Total right hip replacement. I want to play with the rust in my garage and maybe before summer is over..., well we'll see.
    Watch out for donkeys, barbwire and in my case speed crazed bicyclists!
    -Dave

15. I'm 68, so I'm a card-carrying member of the fraternity of old hotrod farts. Aspirin, hot pad, vibrating pillow and alcohol rubdown -both from the inside and outside - keep me going. Don't have the money to play much with my project since I'm spending it fixing our three daily drivers. Got a wheel bearing and two ball joints coming in the mail, so my son and I have garage time ahead (his car). Then need to solve A/C issues on the other two cars. No money left to even refill the welding gas tank. There's no gold in these golden years, but lots of encouragement on the H.A.M.B.

38 mopar_fan, c1067, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  16. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I guess we are all in the same boat. Meloxicam for arthritis in my neck. Five surgeries on my hands. Three for arthritis and two carpal tunnel. I'm 71 also, but my addiction to rodding can't be cured.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Guys....... you have to respect your limitations. That's it.

18. Boys Boys Boys suck it up you are makin me feel embarrassed. Up at 4:30 got the coffee & egg mcmuffin down ,meds have been takin & headin out to change oil in the 32. Should have been on the road by now headin for a show. Must be sloin down @ a couple of months short of 84. Hell I started on the 34 roadster when I wuz 80. New clutch ,dizzy rebuilt along with the 97 carb & mechanical brakes & new shackles with a reversed rear spring,some Kelsey Hayes bent spokes,first ever paint on it & the wifes pin stripes & anew complete top & we be headin out for Firehouse coffee with the gang. Life is GOOD. Screw those golden years don't want or need em. Let the millennials have them. 1934 ourside fireside coffee 2017.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Dude, be careful! Ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  20. mike bowling

mike bowling

Boy, wish I'd known THAT 30 years ago!
    "burnoutbob"- that blue roadster is beautiful!

loudbang and Bruce Fischer like this.
  21. leadfootlouie

leadfootlouie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The obsession overcomes the infirmities. Or so we would like to believe. And comical, our conversations morph to discussing our bodily functions (or the lack thereof) and the multiple owies. At 69 getting up and down from a creeper becomes more difficult as time passes. The latest invention called the Human Hoist which is a creeper that moves from sitting position to horizontal position with the touch of a switch. I have been following the development for several years. Now on the market I made inquiry. Way out of my financial reach at $12500. Too bad. We could all use such a creeper to make our life of hot rodding and general automotive work much easier. So I will continue to roll off to hands and knees then to a standing position.
    IMG_1576.JPG

22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Parked in a handicap spot with the pharmacy in the background.;)

24. Thanks BJR. I am getting around again working on 55 Chrysler today. It just seems like since my ankles are shot my balance is always off. They say I have no heels left. Well there are others worse that me so, I guess I am lucky to still be able to get around. I did a lot of construction work when I was young, commercial roofing aslo .Standing next to big machines with no eye or ear protection back then. Young and stupid.This morning my wife came down to the shop and saw me wearing my respirator and ear muffs while I was sanding .She thought it was funny. When I was younger I used none of that .Like they say if i knew I was going to live this long I would of taken better care of myself. LOL.Bruce.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  25. Danny, we can always use a NEW club member. LOL. Bruce. 003.JPG

26. Osage.I don't call them the golden years.I call them the RUSTY YEARS LOL.Bruce.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. tfeverfred NAWWWWW Bruce.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Bob, just askin,' but if you are so spry at your age, why the handicap tag? The longer walk will make you stay spry. A 72 year old wants to know.

29. Clunker.I think I know now why my wife wont let me go up,on the roof to stain our cabins chimney.Bruce. 001 (12).JPG

30. Zippi

Zippi

I'm 63 and here is my proper protocol for the weekend. Unless there is a cruise-in somewhere.
    Saturday
    5:00am : Coffee, half a bagel, Advil, in front of the pc checking out what's going on at the H.A.M.S.T.E.R.
    6:00am : 2nd cup of coffee, out in the garage checking out what I can do next to my 37.
    7:00an : In my 37 heading to Donut Bank for a 3rd cup of coffee and donut then a trip down the main drag.
    8:00am - 3:00pm : lots of Advil, Honey do's
    4:00pm : Back in the garage, Advil, cold Modelo while I check out the work I did this morning on the 37.
    5:00pm : 2nd cold Modelo, in the garage still checking out the 37.
    6:00pm : In the house for a shower, supper, and a movie and one last Modelo.
    9:00pm - 10:00pm : Advil PM and off to bed.
    Sunday
    5:00am - Process starts over.

Ford52PU, catdad49, 61Cruiser and 7 others like this.