Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford with a 8BA-Sway Bar Issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100% Matt, May 29, 2017.

1. 100% Matt

100% Matt

When I bought my tudor it came with an already installed 8BA flathead. The previous owner had installed a Chassis Engineering sway-bar that sat on top of the lower radiator hoses. The car already had posies super slide spring installed. I installed a Sid's dropped axle and now the sway-bar no longer fits. The bushing rods are way to close to the axle and spring now. Besides the fact I'm not keen with the sway bar literally riding on top of the lower radiator hoses. Chassis Engineering recommends a narrower 35/36 sway bar with after market drop axles. Per their customer service rep an oem dropped axle still uses the standard 40 sway-bar.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this issue. I'm looking for some feedback on how to resolve this. I drove the car over the weekend and it really needs a swaybar re-installed

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 100% Matt

100% Matt

3. 100% Matt

100% Matt

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I don't really have enough experience with the different front end combinations to be of much help but I installed a sway bar on my 40 that is equipped with an aftermarket 40 Ford dimensioned 4 inch dropped axle and a posies 40 standard eye spring.. My sway bar does interfere with lower hoses also. I have driven my car 2500 miles with this combination without a problem. I had the engine out this winter and checked the hoses for wear. I could not see any wear on the hoses. My coupe is very stable in the turns.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

In my 40 Ford I have a 4 inch dropped axle with dropped steering arms, a reversed eye Posie super low spring #2040 and 15 inch wheels with 5:60:15 tires. Engine is an 8BA. I was able to use the stock 1940 Ford sway bar in its stock location where it's suppose to fit below the lower hoses. 40 sway bars and perches for them do come up on Ebay once in a while. To use the 40 sway bar you have to install the 40 perch bolts made for the sway bar. Cars without sway bar have different perch bolts.

Attached Files:

6. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I have aftermarket perch pins that are part of the tube shock set up. Thanks for the info though. This helps a lot

7. Had same interference w/front sway bar on my avatar 39 & 8BA power, 4" dropped axle and Posie's slider front spring w/reversed eyes.........problem solved by spacers under sway bar mounts, yet rad hoses showed no wear from touching.........couldn't get any rear bar kit to work due to exhaust routing and fuel pump location, so used a sprint car style torsion bar setup which works great............IMHO these cars definitely need sway bars front & back as it now handles quite well......