Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1949 Mercury project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1949 mercury, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Bader2

Bader2

Throw some oil in the cylinders to seal the dry rings and give it some compression. Hooked up 12 volt yeah?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I put some marvel mystery oil in it before. Just got a 12v coil and 12v battery. Put distributor wire neg side of coil and ran a wire from positive side coil to battery.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Got spark from the coil, have fuel, I think I have a bad coil tested it with a meter. 200 ohm + - side of coil is 3.4 To high. 20k ohm center of coil is 8.4 to low.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

4. Got the motor started on the frame. Body going on this weekend

Woogeroo, RDE and Aussiepete. like this.
  5. brEad, Woogeroo, tomkelly88 and 2 others like this.
  6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Nice build thread. That body looks great painted.
    You might enjoy this video.... first time I started the Flathead in my '51. It's loud, so adjust your speakers accordingly.

1949 mercury likes this.
  7. Thanks Doctor Detroit. I have looked at your build many of times it has helped me along. Great video, I have seen it on you tube a few times. Are you still working on yours.

8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Awesome, I'm glad my build has helped. I've been away a while, and the Merc has been in a holding pattern. I moved from Chicago back to Detroit and didn't have a good garage to work in it. It's been almost 3 years since any significant progress. A few months back I moved the Merc from storage to my new garage... now I see it every day. I'll be back into it soon.

1949 mercury likes this.
  9. brEad, Woogeroo, Aussiepete. and 2 others like this.
  10. brEad, GreenMonster48 and Aussiepete. like this.
  11. level2526

level2526

When I was younger I would shave everything. Now I'm older I like having door handles and keys for the trunk. I think it's all personnel taste and it could change as you do. Just keep the original hardware, handles and locks etc. in ten years you may get sick of the poppers.

1949 mercury likes this.
  12. I have a shaved 61 Biscayne and find the lack of door handles a Pain- won't have them again- just my thoughts- look great though-

1949 mercury likes this.
  13. [​IMG]

Quarter panels on but are glossy not like the rest of car. He's Working on the front end then put that on and repaint. Going to start fitting the rear bumper and tail lights. Need a new bumper or get mine fixed. Need to paint wheels not sure what color, black or red with 57 Caddy or spider caps. Then some white walls. Going to lower the rear some more.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Squablow and Aussiepete. like this.
  14. [​IMG]

Well I broke this little piece that holds the float for the gas tank sender. Is there anyway to fix it or should I just get a new one?

15. Squablow

Squablow

Hate to glue that little piece if it's going to be submerged in gasoline. If it's not a pricey part, I think I'd want a new one. If it was more easily accessible I might try to fix it but you hate to have to drop the gas tank out to replace it if a repair fails. How much does a new one cost? Bummer either way.

16. Slopok

Slopok

Either Drake or Carpenter had them for about $40.00 awhile back. The sender is accessible though the trunk floor on Mercs unless modified.

contesly and Squablow like this.
  17. Yeah, I figure I will call Carpenter and see if they can do anything for me I just got it from them a couple months ago. I don't think I would feel comfortable with that in my tank.
    Also wonder if there is a better sending unit maybe metal so it won't break?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    richard souza likes this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

Didn't realize you could pull it out from the trunk, the trunk in my '51 was poorly patched and needs to be redone. Still though, for $40 I'd feel better with a replacement. Maybe they'll let you return it? Seems like a weak point.

1949 mercury likes this.
  19. great build!

1949 mercury likes this.
  20. Called Carpenter yesterday waiting for a call back. Yeah there is a plate in the trunk take it off one bolt and the sender is right there.

Thanks 55 dude

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

looks like the tire isn't centered in the wheel well opening, is there a reason why?

22. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

build is looking good! keep the pics coming

1949 mercury likes this.
  23. No everything should be the same. The only thing I did in the rear was put new 4" lower springs in.

24. Thanks Matt

25. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Does it really look not correct ??
    No , see this is the rule of measure , Sam Barris Merc :

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

LOL , you need to set it where you like it ! Hmm sorry , now I read back in the thread and saw the issue was centering in wheelwell , looks like my wheel sits abit forward as well and I have straightened -51 Merc leafsprings which should make it sit abit back from stock position ....
    Here is a picture of my Merc in speedboat ride heigth :

Attached Files: