Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

No need to try to scope up thru the header pipes. Harbor Freight sells 2 different bore scopes, one of which has a head small enough to fit thru a spark plug hole, and I have one.
    Wish to hell I had thought of it a couple Saturdays ago when Tony was down here at my shop, gemerously using his precious time trying to help me get BGII ready for SIM by getting the trans back in with a rebuild on the hyd. TO brg, which unfortunately, promptly blew out fluid and I still didn't make it.
    Had I thought of it, I would have asked him to take the borescope with him to use it.
    And Tony, if you want it, by God I'll bring it to you, just say the word and give me the street addy so's I can put it in the "Bitch inna box".
    When using a borescope in a comb. chamber, if the rings in that cylinder are allowing excess oil by and into the comb. chamber, all that oil will wash the carbon off around the edges and it will be mostly on the center of the piston. As much oil as is going thru that engine, if it's getting past the rings it should be easy to spot.

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

After watching your video, I wonder if your rockers and components are getting enough oil. Any engine I have had including a couple top end restricted oil ones, through a lot more oil than yours. I hope you nail down your problem, Gary

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  3. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

That's freaking cooool!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  4. allwilly

allwilly

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's it....the oil that is supposed to be in the rockers is still in the pan.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Pulling a head tonight.

Pulling a head tonight - I hope its my old man mistake to have the 2nd ring upside down - then we are done! If not, its still a bit of a mystery why they didn't seat.

I know we went from way to much oil theory to too little oil. I will say I have opened them up after a pass to set the lash hot and its plenty wet in there. Third season with the rockers and no galling on anything.

loudbang, Hang'emHigh and Gammz like this.
  7. A hemi is not to be compared to a sbc when it comes to top end oiling. The small oil returns in the block are like that because it was designed to have very little oil that needed to be returned to the pan. By chance are you running two piece gap less rings? I ask because the oil control rings look just like the extra ring used with the compression ring. That would explain a whole bank being oily if they got mixed up.

loudbang likes this.
  8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I live in CT

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What did you find when you pulled head? Inquiring minds want to know.

Higgy's Henry likes this.
  10. DOM I got your call but work this week has been cutting into hot rod time - couldn't get in the garage last night like a planned. The world is cruel - no job, no hot rod money - got job, got hot rod money, got no time :confused:

Stewed, enloe, saltflats and 5 others like this.
  11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Understand perfectly. If you want me to come up and bring borescope, just say the word.

12. Likewise the otherway DOM - Can we set up a saturday to come help you with BGII? Would the 10th be a possibility? Saturday - get there early and get to work? Club Day?

13. Someone go Get ED

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't want to clutter up Tony's thread, so let's talk about this on S.F.C.C. or on phone.

15. Pulling the head and pistons out and watching the Union re cap

16. loudbang likes this.
  17. loudbang likes this.
  18. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Dog_Patch likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Am I seeing #4 being the problem?

loudbang and Tyresmoke like this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is the top scraper on the oil ring setting correct? 6d0610791099b9eab738f1705fe65d06.jpg
    It looks lower than the lower scraper starting about center of the rest pin.

loudbang likes this.
  21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tyresmoke has a good point has a good point about the underside of the piston head possibly being an indicator of localized heat.
    But to me, the dead giveaway here is the carbon coating the crown of he piston head in the center, while relatively clean out on the perimeter where the influx of oil has kept the carbon washed off.
    Also the holes that allow gas pressure to push top ring out show a tinge of carbon stain surrounding them. And this seems to indicate that so much oil is getting past the oil ring that some of the excess is actually getting to the piston crown via these holes.
    All of this indicates that either the oil rings aren't catching the oil efficiently, or else there's simply so much oil there they are just being overwhelmed by the flood of oil thrown from the crank to the right side of the engine, aggravated by the lack of an oil scraper.
    I'm assuming that the static oil level is below the reach of the crank and rods, etc?

loudbang likes this.
  22. Just happened to pull #4 but all of the cylinders feel like Vaseline on the walls. Never seen that before. Here's a shot from the bottom
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  23. Nothing is jumping out at me. The cylinders look like they were polished. I wonder if the rings didnt seat. Were the rings standard tension or light? There seems to be a difference on the amount of carbon on the pistons. What does the head look like? The only sugestion i have is to put the dip stick in and make sure the full mark is below the crank level .

loudbang likes this.
  24. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

25. That's from hanging out with those Sock Fuckers!!

26. Light tension - same ones that worked fine the last 2 seasons. The other set was in the 392 motor. The only thing I did different this year was the first batch of oil was Lucas 20W-50W Break in oil. The previous years were just Mobil 1 10W-40W conventional that was on sale at WalMart - probably should not have done the fancy oil .....

Johnny checked the bores really close - he freshens up roundy round motors all week long so he knows what he's doing. The only thing different is the low tension rings. He hadn't seen anyone doing that with wet sump before. He was concerned. It worked 2x before though ..... he'll probably say it works 66.6% of the time - do you feel lucky?

loudbang likes this.
  27. Should have known using Vaseline in a sentence around SockFuckers would draw attention .

Hatchet, catdad49, Stewed and 5 others like this.
  28. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

I was going to ask if you had talked to JT yet?

29. How do the heads look? Do the intake ports have any oil in them? How about exhaust ports do they all have oil in them or mainly 1 or 2 ports? Still don't make sense that it's only one side smoking THAT bad it's pulling good amount of oil from somewhere

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  30. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Hey Tony.. in all the excitement don't forget to pull 50 lbs of ballast this week.. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app