Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

2. Boulevard Coffee Shop, 10420 S.W. Barbur Blvd., opened November 1957. The shop was owned by Henry Eriksen. April 1961 the shop had become Boulevard Restaurant. August 1969 it was Ericksen's Boulevard Restaurant. August 1979 it had become Ericksen's Restaurant & Lounge. December 2008 it was Happy Fortune - Chinese Restaurant & Lounge.

[​IMG]

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. I still have not worked out exactly which street this is. The clock tower visible at the far distance on the right was at that time on the corner of Lichfield Street, Manchester Street and High Street (which ran on the diagonal). That makes me think this is Manchester Street looking south from about Cashel Street. The clock tower was moved about 1930 to a site on the corner of Victoria, Salisbury and Montreal Streets where it is still. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Clock_Tower

By the way the streets of central Christchurch are named for Anglican church bishoprics, hence the odd mix of names.

I think most of those buildings had already been replaced by the time of the earthquakes of 2010 and 2011 and any that were still surviving will have been demolished. There are very few 'pre-earthquake' buildings left in town. More than 80% of the buildings in the central business district have been demolished. There are still a lot of empty lots, many being used as car parks.

Here is a link to that pic. There are many more in the images collection. http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/Heritage/Photos/Disc14/IMG0018.asp

Regarding the earthquakes there are hundreds of pictures on the net, although of course it is not of the right period for this site. Google 'Christchurch earthquake', or for the more recent one search 'Kaikoura earthquake 2016'

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Bomb likes this.
  5. More on this one. The truck visible behind the horse and cart belongs to Aulsebrooks Ltd, a well known local maker of biscuits (cookies). The big car on the left looks to be a big touring with a 'California' top.

6. This is the Cadillac raced by Billy Ah Chee in the first new Zealand Motor Cup at Muriwai Beach, West Auckland in 1921.

63fdsnr likes this.
  7. rudestude

rudestude

I just added a few hundred more old magazine ads to my inventory , I manly save car and car related ads from old magazines, a few days ago I saw a thread just for that and now I can't find it... I don't want to plug this one up ....But here is a couple of cool ones I will post and keep looking for that other thread if anyone is interested in seeing these old ads.....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. rudestude

rudestude

chryslerfan55, Bomb and loudbang like this.
  9. rudestude

rudestude

Here's a few more, I do have ads that go back to early 1900's ...These ads are from life and the post magazines..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. swi66

swi66

11. swi66

swi66

12. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Is that Willie Mays behind the Buick B-58?

13. khead47

khead47

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

15. verde742

verde742

Speaking JUST for me, cause I can,
    I don't like the drawings of old car ads,
    they don't express how the cars really looked.

If Pontiacs really looked like the ads, Pontiac would have sold billions, And the roads would have had to be widened.

MMM RED likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.