Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ignition wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coopertough, May 23, 2017.

1. Coopertough

Coopertough

So here's what I have going on wiring a coil to a toggle switch I have 12v coming to my switch and from the switch to a .85 Ohm resistor to the + on the coil and from + on the coil to the distributor (points type) coil is an external ballast pn#1303 I'm getting from + to - on the coil 1.7 ohms from the 200 Ohm setting on the multimeter then from the + to the coil output on the 20k setting I get 9.08 at the resistor I have 12v in and 5.6 out with that being said I'm not getting any spark from the distributor

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

3. ... or bad condenser....

4. Mark Roby likes this.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

You really mean + coil to distributor or - ?

tb33anda3rd and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The - on the coil should go to the distributor. If the above is not a typo, then I've found your problem.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It is a confusing read and I was leaning toward the same thought. However I think OP is referring to plus into resistor and plus out from it to the coil ?

8. Coopertough

Coopertough

Correct, slight typo my apologies I was rushing trying to get it all written out and I know it's written very confusingly I'll get some pictures later this afternoon and post them so you guys can see what I'm working with and hopefully point out a simple fix

9. Coopertough

Coopertough

My apologies for not getting back quicker but here's a picture of what's going on: battery to switch, switch to resistor, resistor to coil +, coil - to distributor (points and condensor) 20170531_081407.jpg

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here's a quick and dirty check. Disconnect the - wire from the coil (going to dist). Hook a jumper from the coil - and intermittently tap it to ground (just tap quickly). If you get spark from coil, then check distributor out. Look for bad points, condenser, cracked cap, carbon button in cap, rotor, etc.