Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA Roadsters Fathers Day Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake 27, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Well they cashed my check so it looks like I'll be checking out how this goes.

Special Ed likes this.
  2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

No one seems to complain about the cost of food on the fairgrounds, so what is $50 bucks to drive your roadster in to the greatest show on earth for roadster lovers. You will need that much for a beer and hamburger. Let's all support this show and have a wonderful weekend as always.

3. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Been awhile since I posted here. LARS is one of my favorite shows. Was nice when I got my roadster in for free for years. While it was free- I would have paid for the same experience. I will say one thing about Don- one year, I was one of the few that was suppose to be mailed a mug because they ran out. Well, shit happens & I didn’t receive the mug. No big deal, I didn’t go for the mug, even though I have a nice collection of them. I mentioned it to Don in a thread & he made calls & made it happen. I’ll never forget that. People complaining here about the cost of entry & their cars being the show is a tradition here. Some things never change. If you want this show to survive, you will have to open your wallet. Just think of what would have happened if no one stepped up. Show would just be a memory in a few years. Sadly, I may miss this show for the first time in many years. My car is running but not ready for the road. It’s been a long road getting this new build done, maybe next year. Then knee replacement surgery & a second coming up soon may even keep me away as a spectator. I’m not happy about that. It’s been a Father’s Day tradition for a long time. Money is NOT what is keeping me away this year. I say give John Buck a fighting chance to put on a hell of a show. Lets not crucify him without a chance to prove himself. All I hope is he keeps the parking entry simple. The GNRS Drive-in is a nightmare & hope he doesn’t copy that.

4. tofords

tofords

I have been going to the show since the med 80's and always thought it was the best show around. If I only went to one show that year it was the L.A.R. Show. The new prices are not greed it's the risings cost of insurance and the rent of the Fair-plex. The L.A.Roadsters want to keep it going. This B.S. everyone 'thinks' they know about it will not keep me from going. People bitch about $50. but pay $9. for a cup of beer. Everything changes and prices go up, long live the L.A. Roadster show.

5. clem

clem

Best comment I've seen on this thread.
    Thanks.

6. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

That swap meet brings in a lot of $ for the spaces and by the shoppers. I personally have seen all the shiny 32 roadsters I ever need to see. The only difference seems to be the paint and wheels. The swap meet is the draw for me. There is great feedback and suggestions in this thread. I hope the people running the show can put a lot of it into use

6-bangertim, Hotrodmyk and PRE48V-8 like this.
  7. Good to hear you're still around Steve. Sorry to hear about the knees. My wife is facing the same thing.

8. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

The price of everything goes up but most of us don't have a problem justifying the cost of desirable parts for our rides.

9. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

....truly, all that can be said is most "regulars" who've attended this show in its various forms over the last 50-plus years enjoy it and will more than likely keep coming back as long as it has something to offer them. Since the 1970's I've been at the event as a child with my parents and now with my own family either as a spectator, vendor or swapper while other's like myself attend annually as specialty vehicle or roadster owner participants. It has a lot to offer auto enthusiasts of our ilk on many different fronts which is why it still exists today. True, things change over time: Venues change, layouts change, people change (see "aging") and prices increase which are part of this shows' history. But the good news is that the best parts of the event, its spirit and character hasn't changed (not just yet). It was a club event run by the members for the love of something we all can appreciate; Hot Rodding, and with a roadster in particular. Not something everyone can fiscally acquire today (or even "back in the day") but still can admire & opine with their eyes and ears and be inspired, amazed and impressed by a virtual sea of them (i.e., roadsters) that have showed up over the years. To honor the roadster as it applies to hot rodding, that still is the key to the events' success & why the club was so generous in the past to those owners; more roadsters, more people show up and a bigger, better show for all (low cost begets high volume). But today is different & this adulation of the roadsters will now cost their owners a fee so some will not show up in 2017, but I feel most will (for now) either out of their passion for the event or just out of curiosity to see if the new caretakers of the event are worthy of their time, investment and their roadsters. "Free is now fifty" (plus cost for lodging if attending from afar) & time will tell if it's an overreach or warranted in hearts, minds (and pocketbooks) of those in attendance....

....as far as whether the new higher entry prices for roadster owner, specialty car participant or swappers alike is due to the rising cost of event insurance, event-site rent, greed, a combination of all three or fiscal output required for BBQ meals and pewter mugs, only the L.A. Roadster club members and the promoters at RodShows know the true facts about costs of hosting & organizing the 53rd annual L.A. Roadster Club Exhibition & Swap Meet and how they do or do not impact the financial requirements of administrating the event. Could the event been in the red all these years & only survived by the generosity of the Club? Was it always a "break-even" enterprise? Or, has it always been profitable, even a "cash cow" for the organization & the real reason it still exists? If one isn't a part of the club or new event administration all they can do is make assumptions. What really matters moving forward is whether the event has still got "It" and if attendees are still willing to pay "It". Meanwhile it's accurate to assume that once the club members are no longer involved directly in the administration and organization of such an event, someone has to take over this task for it to continue and we all know no one likes to work for free. The converse of this is that if it doesn't have the same "feel and appeal" as in the past for those that choose to attend this year in lieu of whatever cost changes are put forth, they may not be back next year and the snowball may begin to form...

....last point. Lots of folks don't pay $9 for a cup of beer (because not everyone drinks beer). Those who do drink beer and will pony up $9 for a cup of beer at an automotive event (usually no more than two cups) do so only because they didn't pay an entry fee for their roadster/specialty vehicle or purchased a few swap spaces and brought in their own cooler full of brew. So spectators can pay split parking by car pooling with their colleagues, buy a ticket to enter the Roadster Exhibition, buy a couple of beers, see a great show & swap and possibly pay less than driving their roadster inside or buying a swap space. Probably best to give up alcohol & tobacco altogether; Better for your physical & fiscal health. You'll live longer and have more money in your wallet to buy parts for your rods & customs or pay for vehicle entry passes & swap spaces at the L.A. Roadster Exhibition & Swap meets in the years to come...PRE48V-8\:^]

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  10. bondolero

bondolero

When I paid my entry, I was told they would have Friday entry for roadsters and you could leave your car all weekend with security. Some of the web flyers said otherwise, so I called.

11. That was answered a while back. They cashed my check so I'm good to go.

12. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

We spend $200.00 for one more chrome widget for the Hot Rod but balk at the price to go to a World Famous show?

clunker, da34guy and Special Ed like this.
  13. uncle buck

uncle buck

Would that be because of entertainment vs asset? At the end of the day , sometimes change is tough for some of us. Let's hope it remains the greatest event in the world

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tofords, LOU WELLS and Special Ed like this.
  14. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

...Value in this case is in the eye of the beholder & not objective. A strong desire is the mother of inspiration that gives one the will to do something and find the means to make it become a reality. If the individual believes they need a "$200 chrome widget" or absolutely must make a pilgrimage to a "World Famous Show", their deep thought and consideration can justify it. Others may view the "part" or the "event" as having no real value at all to them; but their opinion doesn't matter in this case, only the subjective perspective of the individual. In the end, hopefully they'll find their investment of time and fiscal input will meet their original expectations rather than end up as a disappointment in the form of "just another car deal" or "dust collector" forgotten on a garage shelf.......PRE48V-8\:^]

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    clunker and LOU WELLS like this.
  15. bondolero

bondolero

Amen. I look forward to attending. Heck the local car shows here charge $50 to enter as does the Goldchain Ego Cruise (good guys). Insurance, liability, and ordinances have killed all free events here as well as most of the swap meets. We are mostly left with car shows held on dealership premises.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has a state sales tax killed or slowed down flea market vendors out there too?

17. GEGE

GEGE

Dean

I live in Oceanside we should connect?
    George/gege

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

If it wasn't broke (which I know for a fact it wasn't) don't "fix" it.......... ;). Was pretty damn good for 52 of them years.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    deucemac likes this.
  19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 more weeks before I leave-------Going topless again!!!!!!!!

20. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I'm going had a great time last year bought some parts .Enjoyed the day ..

bondolero likes this.
  21. lilmann

lilmann

Howdy, I haven't read through all 180+ posts but wanted to see if there were any happening on Friday and/or that night..??..

Just my .02 cents....I hate paying for anything "car show" especially to enter a show for others to see/touch/mess with my pickup! However, it's been a busy winter in CO and I need some hotrod therapy! Airfare and a bedroom were cheap enough to make it doable.

Any info is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Went to L.A. roadsters show 1 or 2 at the Hollywood Bowl parking lot, it was free and the people and cars were great. The math is simple now participants 2000x80 += 160k. Patrons 30,000x50 1.5 mil, x3 = 4.5 Mil. includes those expensive hot dogs. Usually the Insurance costs eat up alot of the money, what's the insurance cost for the 3 days?Somebody's doing ok.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    quicksilverart46 and clem like this.
  23. Dean have you seen any correspondence from the show yet????

24. No, they will send out a letter closer to the show.

25. Went to L.A. roadsters show 1 or 2 at the Hollywood Bowl parking lot, it was free and the people and cars were great. The math is simple now participants 2000x80 += 160k. Patrons 30,000x50 1.5 mil, x3 = 4.5 Mil. includes those expensive hot dogs. Usually the Insurance costs eat up alot of the money, what's the insurance cost for the 3 days?Somebody's doing ok.

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, "Somebody" surly is!----The simple logistics of paying for all the facilities at the fairgrounds are astounding, compared to when we were at the "Great Western".
    But,----We shall see the results under Buck's command in a few more weeks.
    Got your pewter roadster all packed for delivery Dean,----See you at Pomona!-----Don

27. I will be there in the swap meet as usual with ElPalcko from industrial chassis selling parts. Stop by and say hi

28. bondolero

bondolero

Hope to see you two there Ron.