Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ferrari Shoot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 22, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Ferrari Shoot

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This feature was the first time I tried to integrate a modern super car into a feature and I was super happy with it... So, I tried it again shortly after with a historical '32 roadster and a then new F355. It just didn't work. The colors clashed and the diminutive Ferrari made even the channeled '32 look huge. There just wasn't any balance...

In any case, here's some outtakes from that shoot.

Attached Files:

3. Blasphemy,a Ferrari on a traditional Hot Rod & Custom site? :eek: :D

It's your site, if anyone can break the rules it would be the Boss.

I absolutely love the Black Dahlia and I would like to have the Tardel/Cochran coupe in my garage. HRP

mgtstumpy likes this.
  4. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Ryan, Really digging your 30 Ford Tardel/Cochran Coupe. Right in my wheel house. As always nice job and thank you for sharing the results of both shoots.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, works for me, I get it. Would Enzo have gotten it? Rhetorical question, because we really don't care if he would have or not. Too bad for him if he wouldn't.

Special Ed likes this.
  6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

IMG_1311.JPG Ryan, Scuderia Ferrari means: Ferrari stable, like horse racing team. Or like you said team Ferrari. Also the prancing horse or Cavalino is also mentioned with the Ferrari name.

Hamtown Al, oldsjoe and flatheadpete like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He not only would...he did. I read once that Enzo built the 250 GT California, as the name implies, specifically for the American market because of our country's love affair with chrome and embellishment. So he dolled up his pretty little car "west coast style" , slapped an American name on it and the rest is history. Oh yeah, Enzo got it.
    upload_2017-5-22_10-54-25.png

Hamtown Al, oldsjoe, BrerHair and 5 others like this.
  8. I was hoping to see photos of a bunch of guys shooting holes in a Ferrari.

D.Lee, ls1yj, Hyfire and 5 others like this.
  9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Nice post Ryan.Sort of a form follows function situation.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. @Ryan -

Actually you first ran this feature in 2007 ... i.e., you started the original "The Ferrari Shoot" TJJ Blog on June 18th 2007.

- @HEMI32 (soon to be banned for correcting the boss :D)

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

HAHA. I knew it was a long ass time ago...

HEMI32 likes this.
  12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's the one I want...Growing up in the 80's the Testarossa was the baddest of the bad...Until F40 showed up.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

14. Sorry, but you did not do the cause of the HAMB a favour with this feature.....The comparison between the Ferrari, your coupe and the custom is quite far fetched, IMHO.
    If Enzo Ferrari was a hot rodder than even the people at Volkswagen/Audi are hotrodders, they bought Italdesign, who recently developed a super sports-car named Zerouno with 610 Hp, which is also all about performance. Or Elon Musk - his Tesla P100D would make the Ferrari look quite pale performance-wise. OK, they may lack tradition, but still....
    To be honest, I am not interested in newish Ferraris and other high-end cars at all, neither here on the HAMB nor anywhere else, I think they are anything but the epitome of what hot-rodding is about.

To me the pics only show how boring the Ferrari is compared to the other two cars, no matter how fast or technically developed it is.

dirty old man, Todd553, Pufff and 6 others like this.
  15. i have always thought the Ferrari was a cool car, would love to have one..........that said:
    nope, all the imaginative writing in the world could not convince me that those three belong together. why wouldn't any "super" car company be the same.
    production versus hand made one off? nope not seeing it. styling and design mission? can't compare conversion and customizing with starting from scratch. performance? how can i make what i have faster verses how do i make fast.
    all three cars are cool but together the Ferrari is the garlic on my ice cream sundae.........

trad27 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. A Ferrari sure as hell isn't a hot rod. But I appreciate it for what it is, and would love to have a 246 Dino in my garage.

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Would give my left nut for a Ferrari.
    But in no way, in my mind does it relate to the other two home built cars.
    Given me a choice of cars, I'd have the custom in a heartbeat.
    But then again. I'd probably kick myself for not picking the A.
    Might as well stick a mustang in there too. :) just teasing. .....

18. CA. 280

CA. 280

What about a hybrid, ie: Brizio's Ducarri??

19. Just an FYI ...

The late Dick "Magoo" Megugorac built Brian Burnett's "DEUCARI" roadster that won the 1979 Grand National Roadster Show's 9ft. America's Most Beautiful Roadster trophy:

Brian Burnett's DEUCARI '79 AMBR (by Magoo).jpg

Roy Brizio Street Rod's (& Ron Covell) built James Ells' Ferrari-powered Deuce Roadster that won the 1987 AMBR award:

James Ells' 87 AMBR (by Brizio).jpg

Hamtown Al likes this.
  20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Enzo once said : aerodynamics are for people that can't build engines! If you study some of the early Ferrari's, They stuffed bigger engines in some cars. Now tell me that was not like hot rodding. And the early cars were hand made, everyone was a little different. The Ford vs. Ferrari wars in the mid 60s. Ferrari a small company with maybe 100 employees gave Ford all it could handle with Ford spending over 10 times the money. Henry Ford II must of flipped when Ferrari finished 1 2 3 at the 24 hours of Daytona in 1967 at there home race. I give the fact that the new Ferrari is a production car like everything today.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  21. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I get your point.Well said indeed.

22. Okay Ryan, I'm sure it's your modesty at work, but you should never post up the T/C coupe without a link to the youtube video. I play it every so often just to remind me of the roadster as they sounded nearly identical. ;

oldsjoe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cars aren't supposed to "go" together, its art. I see it as more of a juxtaposition of images, like parking a smooth, sleek custom in front of an angular Frank Gehry designed building. Or to put it in more familiar terms for many, its like wearing socks with sandals...but less "old guy" :cool:. Art is in the eye of the beholder, if you aint beholdin, be on to the next thread.

41 GMC K-18, Dick Stevens and Tim like this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Some get it. Some don't. And that's what makes it special. Always has...

25. sololobo

sololobo

nice re-run! I would like to post my Ferrari, BUT I DON'T FUCKING HAVE ONE! thanx, I feel better.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  26. Ferrari's are amazing cars, built with jewel like watchmakers precision and make plenty of smooth power.
    THAT being said, Ferrari's don't interest me in the least. They only are interesting up to the early 60's and even then, don't do much for me.
    For the cost of one, I could buy a ton of great old American cars, stockers and classics.
    I'd rather have some cool old wagons, let alone 32 Fords. Desoto's, La Salle's, Plymouth's, Pontiacs Packard's, etc.
    Funny, if I had posted this, one of the mods would have deleted it.

jackalope, Surfcityrocker and trad27 like this.
  27. trad27

trad27

I understand your the boss so it's your site, that being said. I enjoy Ferrari's and the performance and engineering that goes into them but unless early ones I don't go onto the hamb to look and read about them.

28. rooman

rooman

I am with Ryan on this one--Enzo was an Italian hot rodder. I possibly would have preferred to have seen one of the earlier, more hand built cars from him in that line up but the comparison is still relevant.
    I probably should have thought a bit more and actually posed these cars together as I had three "40's" in close proximity back in the early 90's when I worked at a shop that did high end restorations. The 40 Ford was built for my boss's wife as he drag raced a "Fordillac" in the late 50's/early 60's including running at the NHRA Nationals in Detroit. The pictured car had an original driveline with a a small block. As seen in the last photo I later added a dropped axle while I worked there. The F40 was a customer's car that I also did some work on--took out the seat belt "mouse" and installed competition style harness. The GT 40 was another one of my projects and I was lucky enough to get to spend a spring afternoon driving it around to make sure that some carb and ignition issues were resolved.
    All three of these cars are hot rods in one form or another. The '40 coupe's lineage is obvious, the F40 is really a customized 308/328 body over a tube chassis with the driveline turned 90 degrees and Ford sent the GT40 project to Shelby (a true hot rodder) to make it competitive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roo
    [​IMG]

Spoggie, Rolleiflex and cactus1 like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV agrees!