Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Making American Graffiti

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 18, 2017.

1. Flatdash

Flatdash

First time I saw Graffiti it was shown as a B to Lady Sings The Blues.. the dreadfulness of sitting through that was so,so worth while...whenever the guys are round we literally mime the whole soundtrack, as do I guess, most of the subscribers to this thread.

pecker head likes this.
  2. williebill

williebill

AG is one of those movies that I have in my collection, and I STILL watch it on TV when it comes on. I feel obligated for those little spies in my TV to KNOW that we're watching it, again and again.
    Just doing my part to save the culture...............

Saxman, mad mikey and Denns1989 like this.
  3. j3harleys

j3harleys

The problem when its on TV they cut so much out

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Such a great film, really interesting that Lucas says by his college years "cruising was sort of gone" like it was already something from the past by the late 60s, it was still alive and well in the early 80s where I grew up in Longmont CO.
    BTW I never noticed the trunk error but I have always noted the 67 Caprice that should not be there seen at 0:44 of the video here.

mad mikey and Steffen Jobst like this.
  5. The movie is timeless IMO. Every car guy can identify with it. Even people not really into cars like the movie, whats not to love.;)

6. mopacltd

mopacltd

I just bought a DVD yesterday. New for $5

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Saw it at the theater in '73 w/my main squeeze at the time. I'd just graduated that spring. I was enthralled the whole damn movie! When Milner pulled out of the shop with the headers uncorked & stopped to shoot the shit for a sec with the gas jockey, I was like, hot damn! time to get it on!
    The ole (slightly OT) BB had a special thump to it's note all the way home that night. Great movie!:D

pecker head likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Guys,
    Guess who I filmed entering Lions Dragstrip in 1959? Could it be the car of the star? Although, it was a long drive from the Central Valley down to So Cal. We will never know... ha!

Jnaki
    The timeline fits and so does the 58 Impala.

9. Muttley

Muttley

No one even brings their cars out of the garage around here these days.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like a lot of other guys here who were in their teens in the 60's I saw it the first weekend it came out in Waco Tx. I couldn't believe how spot on the cruising scenes were and now know why after reading the pots on Lucas.
    I grew up cruising Yakima Avenue in Yakima wa that was a draw for car freaks from a big radius in the early 60's You cruised on Friday night and not much on Saturday night. Saturday night we went to Sunnyside Wa and cruised there and sometimes picked up a race at Bob's drive in that is still there and still pretty much the same except you don't have a hundred cars in the parking lot on Saturday night now with young people looking for action.
    When I worked at Boeing in 1966 cruising the Renton loop was the thing and it wasn't hard to find a race there.
    I've watched the show a number of times, had a Vhs recording that I may still have and have a new in the box DVD for my graffiti fix.

Boneyard51 and wicarnut like this.
  11. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Funny I just watched an episode of Americarna on Velosity last night and Ray Evernham was searching for and bought the original 58 and had it restored to like it was in the movie. He even left the dent from where toad backed into the other car when cruising. Candy Clarke was in it also. I met and talked to her several yrs ago in Detroit. cool lady.

barryvanhook likes this.
  12. Mike

Mike

The airport scene was filmed at Santa Rosa Airport., just north of Petaluma, Where most of the movie was filmed.

13. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Great Movie ! For me If you were around the Berlin Turnpike in Connecticut in the Fifties the favorite was McDonalds in that area which I think was one of the first in Ct. Many Hot rods would go there and race along the strip. Great times

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

Oh yeah those were good times. I would love to go back to.

15. Obsolete Jim

Obsolete Jim

Such great memories. I watch American Graffiti as an annual ritual once a year about the first of September.
    Never gets old. Even the grandkids like it!

16. flyin-t

flyin-t

A year of so before she stole Curt's heart cruising the strip I was 16 and she was on my bedroom wall. Bob Maher who's still owns and builds Maherjah water skis recently re-released this poster. I had to get one to replace my long lost original. I think my mom tossed it but it was too late, the image was already burned in my mind.
    right_on_1024x1024.JPG

17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

18. XERB likes this.
  19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, no. You are not alone by a long shot. At 70 years young, I take my wife and cruise as often as possible in our Deuce highboy roadster. We have been to several runs/shows in California in it and intend to continue until our backs can no longer take the short wheelbase ride. This affliction with hotrods is truly an addiction, and it is even legal. Happy cruising, fellow addicts ! ! ! !

54delray and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dennis, were you one of those Midwest "hoods" I've heard about? Since I had to sit on a cushion in order to see over the steering wheel of my '53 2dr Customline, I didn't qualify for "hood" status. LOL

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a San Antonian, I really enjoy cruising to Top Notch Burgers on Burnet Rd. in Austin. There is quite an old car standing by Austinites plus it has many very scenic locations to cruise to. Then there is the Roundup in April. One can see license plates from all over America in attendance at this shindig. I feel it is the best that Texas has to offer including GOOD GUYS shows. And, never forget the creator of HAMB lives near Austintown. In fact, that firebug started this worldwide communication message board that is as addicting as the rods themselves. Yes, Austin is THE place for car guys.

22. KKrod

KKrod

I still have the poster of Milner's coupe that I bought at the mall after the movie had come out. Saw the movie when I was 17 at the drive-in in Abilene, Tx. I had a hand me down 55 Ford Customline that I was working on to be my college car. Sure wanted a '32 5w though. The '55 lasted 3 years though college and 3 years after graduation on the freeways of Dallas. I got my '32 though a roadster in 1993 which I still have.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    wicarnut likes this.
  23. Mike

Mike

I read that the scene was filmed at Santa Rosa airport on an AG web site years ago, when there wasn't much information available. I just did a web search, looks like Buchannon Field in Concord is correct.

24. HellsBells5

HellsBells5

Suzanne Somers, who was paid a mere $136.72 for her role in Graffiti, was extremely broke at the time she auditioned for the part of the mysterious blonde in the T-bird. Two years earlier she had even resorted to minor crime leading to an arrest for bouncing a $100.00 check. Somers avoided prosecution by promising to make reparations and cover the check. In 1972 when the Graffiti audition came up she almost didn't make it because she couldn’t afford to get there. "I was a single mother from a teen pregnancy," she says. "I'd been doing commercials and local modeling. I lived in Sausalito and had to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge to audition, and there was a 50-cent toll, and I didn't have 50 cents to my name. So when I got to the tollbooth, they told me I'd have to leave something as collateral. I left a lipstick. Fortunately, no matter how poor a woman is, she always has a lot of lipstick."

[​IMG]
    Two years before she acted in Graffiti, Ms. Somers was arrested and booked on charges of writing a bad check in March 1970. She was 23 at the time, and avoided prosecution by paying back the money she owed.

25. HellsBells5

HellsBells5

From wikipedia: The final scenes in the film, shot at Buchanan Field, feature a Douglas DC-7C airliner of Magic Carpet Airlines which had previously been leased from owner Club America Incorporated by the rock band Grand Funk Railroad from March 1971 to June 1971.

54delray likes this.
  26. I first saw A.G. at our local drive-in...drove my 57 Pontiac [389/4 speed] with my girlfriend. I was blown away! The scenes were just like a Friday or Saturday night in our little Oregon towns...lotsa cruising and racing.
    Later, I went to the big city...Portland. The cruising scene there was insane! Three full lanes of hot rod/muscle car traffic for over a mile in one direction, a U-turn and another mile the other direction...all night! All 3 lanes with a traffic light almost every block. I remember think, "I should get a photo of this because nobody would ever believe it". I didn't. 57Ponchoonstreet.jpg

27. SUSQ

SUSQ

28. I can't hear "Rock Around the Clock", Goodnight Sweetheart", "Crying in the Chapel", "All Summer Long", or "Green Onions", etc., without a full replay of the movie scenes they cover in my head.

Or "Dream On" and not think of the movie "Miracle".

Or "Dancing in the Street", and not think of "Hot Rod Willys".

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  29. IMG_1624.JPG

This used to hang in the basement Tiki Bar before I moved. The movie poster now hangs in the spare room /office, and the appropriate '56 license plates (with the correct '62 tags) are hanging up in the garage.

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We cruised San Jose from 1955 thru 1984, when 'Urban Renewal' repaved the 3 lane First Street with brick islands, for snobs to walk and wine taste.
    'John's Drive In' was the original spot, since 1957. Rejuvenated in 1981 (as the 'Graffiti Nights') it went for a couple of years, but the people were newbies, the cars were 'street rods' some, but most were tri-5 Chevys, and later.

But in its Heyday...I'd call 1957-1964, San Jose was a giant cruise, starting out at South 1st, from West Santa Clara St.; go south for 10 blocks, past Hambone's and San Jose Speed Shop next door...left turn to second St., stop at the Sahara station for gas...On up 2nd St., all the way past Santa Clara St. to St. James' Park, hook a left and back down 1st St. 1 block, now take a right on Santa Clara and go 1/2 mile, down the subway and up the other side, BRAKES! Everybody stopped in right lane, turning into John's Drive In!
    Pull in, on a 'slant'...not too much, just enough to drrraagg the front bumper, if you're low enough...shows 'class'.
    Cruise thru, kinda 'rank' to just pull in and park...Gotta be seen. Keep rolling slow, sit low...act bored, nonchalant. Cool. Yeah, they're lookin'... Raise your shades at the Ponytail there, in the Buick...she's smilin'...'Vroom'...Not too much, just a little off-idle goose, light flywheel...lotsa eyeballs...idle on thru, let the car ahead pull out, go right.
    Pull out, go right, Stockton Ave., to the stop sign. Left takes you back down the subway, back to town.
    Right turn, past the entrance to John's...First gear, Leg it a little, now just when we're going past...4,000 RPM...Nail it quick, 'WOW!' now clutch, and shift easy...Take Santa Clara down to the bend right, but go left lane...stop at light, go past Tiny's Drive In, down Martin Ave., between the palm trees...looks just like Hollywood near Vine, now left on Park, and first right...brings us right into the parking lot of Mel's Palm Bowl.
    Cruise thru, not much action here, some cars parked, but they're all in bowling, or the coffee shop...
    Back uptown, let's stop off at the Burger Bar...6 for a buck...I'll have the steak sandwich, 41 cents...yeah, and a coke.
    Park near the entrance, back in, so they can see how low the '46 is in front...
    Chow down, finish eating here, looks rank to munch while you're draggin' the main...
    There goes Wimpy's Deuce...we'll catch him on the main stem, later...'Orphan Annie' cruised up and said there's a party, over in Willow Glen...Her Dad's a dr., Annie got caught throwing a party at his house. He bought her a new white '59 Impala, 348 stick. Told her 'Get Out!' Gave her a fat allowance, just stay away. Her Mom's dead, so her Imp has "Orphan Annie" painted both sides, LARGE letters... to 'irk her Dad?' Not sure...
    Always a party somewhere, just ask Chuck. ("Super Stroke") He knows...
    My buddy Al is cruising his ex Merc show car, '51 Lead Sled, full Carson, 4-1/2" chop. 322 Buick mill, '37 Roadmaster floorshift box. '57 Chrysler quads, frenched into fenders. Former Rod & Wheelers' car, light metallic green. Name on it: "Green Latrine"...Most of 'em have names, cool fad, I like some of 'em. Go downtown, read the funnies. Bored, not much action...
    Al slides up in the 'Latrine'. "Hey, let's go to Hayward..."
    I bail out of my raked '46, roll up the windows, and he says, "You drive..." O.K. by me, I'm 5'11, the Merc seats are heavy tuck-and-roll, Al's 6'4, he'd rather ride...and slump...cool...the Merc is so cool I'd almost forgot, damn thing draws a crowd...We're on Santa Clara, going East, toward Mission San Jose, then North to Hayward, and the mile-and-a-half long cruise on East 14th St!
    Carl's Drive In is first, meet up with Jimmy Jimmy, ("GMC Jimmy", get it?) Jimmy drives an orange '35 Chev pickup, 270 Jimmy mill, loaded to the gills, faaast... He has a decal collection, filled the drivers door, front to back, gunwale to running board, racer decals...to 'knock' the 'decal racers'. Tri-5 Chevy pilots express disdain, Jimmy blows their doors off. They see his mill...it's always the same: "FIVE Carburetors!?!?"
    That black '57 'Vette's back, cruising thru...he'll stop, and point to someone sitting...call 'em out...The guy always has a hard top on, and wears a race helmet! Goggles, too. Nobody knows him. They follow him out, if they come back it's always the same. He's 'unbeatable'. Long time now.
    (Later, some weeks after, there was a news piece the police caught a "Veteran Racer". Turned out to be an old guy in his 70s. Judge relieved him of his "license to fly". Didn't get his name.)
    Hayward, East 14th St. North, toward Oakland, turn around at San Lorenzo. Occasional street sortie there on the main, but usually slow, bumper to bumper. Worth it. Rods & Customs. Magazine cars sometimes...
    Cruise 'til around midnite, come back across Dumbartin Bridge...pick up El Camino for a late nite cruise back to San Jose.
    Last time we took that cruise in the Merc I blew the center out of the clutch disc in the Buick mill...called bud Johnny Lyons to chain tow us back, about 22 miles...we took the Merc to my house, put it in my shop, and came in to sleep.
    My sister woke us up at 11 A.M., crying...President Kennedy had been shot, in Dallas.
    We didn't work on the Merc that day...went in my '46 to R&J's drive in, our 'home race base'...drank a gallon of coffee with our street racing bros, nobody was 'up' that day. Or days after.