Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects TOTAL Number of HAMB Build Projects

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, May 17, 2017.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found out that slow builds piss off some people, so how many are there on the HAMB? Has to be something that you do something on every six months or so, parked out back future projects don't count. My 30 Ford Roadster project started in 1962, '29 Ford Steelback, '39 Ford Pickup, and the '22 Ford Bobtail keep me happy. That is a total of Four. Bob

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 39 is a year late. Shop action has demanded the majority of my time and energy. A health issue decided to visit me as well and then the follow ups steal way more time than I'd imagined. I'm not much for the "1 hour a day" approach. I'd rather have all I need for the actual job and run it through. Example; I did some rather thorough metal repair on the trans cover but didn't have the wood floor sections to finish it off and detail it for installation. Just got the wood floor parts 2 weeks ago but this job was started in Nov. I was getting the exhaust going and found out there's an identical manifold available for the right side so both pipes will then look the same. I know, my details mind is an asshole like that. Within all of these tasks something biz related says to me, "Hey! where the fuck are you?!?" and it gets covered up again. Maybe the 'shouldn't do it for a living" idea has merit afterall...?

303racer, Paul and Spoggie like this.
  3. 110413FJ.jpg

Say hello to the king of slow. Starving artist with project car stranded at Mommy's 'coz he lives in a girly suburban house with only a carport, open to the street level crimesters.
    I may just qualify under the 6 month rule, but lately..

Original Inline has double valve springs, cam, headers, lightened flywheel, HD timing gear, 2 strombergs. One idea decides this must stay, but with a strong un-HAMB 5 speed. I'd love to put a quicky Ford rear under it, but could settle for less, while wishing for a Ford lug pattern with Halibrands, Reals or sumpin'.
    Theme; aussie Super Stock '69- '79.

'Recent' 'progress' involves purchase of all new brake parts stem to stern, as well as the first of several floor/ sill patch panels. First cuts have been made, and front end/ steering (original) is almost totally reco'd.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Surfcityrocker, Outback and The37Kid like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

.......piss off some people......?
    When they start paying your bills then I guess that could be a concern, otherwise, who gives a fig?

dumprat, Tim, 303racer and 14 others like this.

5. I have one of those slow builds going, '34 Plymouth 2 dr sedan.
    Will start a build thread when it starts to look like something.....

303racer likes this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Working on getting my '30 coupe body onto my home made '33 chassis I used for 17 years...
    but up stairs of my garage are some lurking '31 roadster body panels... deeper in the pile are the panels for another coupester with roadster quarters... DSCN0590.JPG
    .fenders, hood, deckskin and a quarter that needs the 6" from the trunk to the wheelwell....
    ....... Anyone got a driver's / left quarter that laid on its side and hadn't had the rust out work its way up to the beltline beads. ? note the owner had cut then rolled the edge under the beadwork,
    DSCN0604.JPG
    .let there be light... Those are not my trophies, I used to revamp them for modified hot wheels racing's winners.
    DSCN0598.JPG
    .doors for the coupester ... [ 37 kid will get the door tops]...
    DSCN0588.JPG
    .chassis for the roadster...
    DSCN0620.JPG

7. williebill

williebill

Started one project in '73. won't ever finish it. It's too good to crush, too bad to finish, IMHO.
    Started my bigger, badder, crazier project in '88. Between raising kids, self employment, older parents needing help, and divorce, sometimes months went by without going to the garage. Now the parents are gone, the kids are grown, the ex is gone, but the self employment thing still eats up my life. I try to find time, but sometimes it's an hour or two a week only.
    But going to the garage, turning on the lights and the radio, and jumping in on the car is still a healing process for me. I can almost feel my blood pressure go down when I walk into the garage.

ABONES, Gotgas, tb33anda3rd and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Started my '31 a little over 3 years ago and have missed 3 self imposed deadlines. Shooting for "drive-able" by the 4th of July.......

Chucky likes this.
  9. I always laugh when people get pissed off about a build taking too long. If they want to come to my garage and lend a hand, it'll progress faster!

I started my 34 project New Years eve 2010. A close friend's death stalled me out, and then two moves, building a garage and renovations further slowed things down.
    I never set any deadlines, until this year. I need to light a fire under my ass to get going on it again.

-Brent-, WilliD, 303racer and 6 others like this.
  10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too many folks watching those 7 day build shows on Velocity. Which is total BS. I was involved in one of them a few years ago and it took 2 month in the shop, but 7 days on the show...LOL

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, having more time than money, I do what I can, when the funds allow it. But to keep myself busy and motivated, I try do the little things that in the past have been missed. Like this morning, nothing to do and a few extra bucks, so I bought some clamps for my fuel line, when I get it. Most other times, I get out a pad and pen and plan out future objectives. Keeps me motivated.

WilliD, RICH B and trollst like this.
  12. I try to work on my A once a year whether I need to or not.

joel, -Brent-, hotrodfil and 9 others like this.
  13. Put my Tudor on hold about 5 years ago when I got involved with Land Speed Racing, so I blame Tim ;)

-Brent-, Spoggie and 34toddster like this.
  14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I make to do lists...
    bad back / neck, sometimes I will go down to the shop and measure for something just to cross it off the list...
    I try and cross something off the list every day... adds up !

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Cut off door top for Bob [ ]
    Cut off other door top for Bob [ ]:rolleyes:

97, tb33anda3rd and Lerenzo Rawson like this.
  16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

No prob Bob... I'll get right to it... smitty

17. Had a fire at my old place of 40 years on 4/29....thinking lighting....wasn't any electrical at the worst/starting area....I was moving stuff slowly...(mainly due to no room constraints) into the new place after I closed/sold a shop/man cave I had and moved that stuff over to the new place....lots of shit lost in the attic as well as down stairs....still some good finds in the rubble.....what I had planned for the summer - the 39 deluxe... is on a back burner along with other up grades/repairs...opps....make that delayed a little.....

Spoggie likes this.
  18. trollst

trollst

I just can't walk by and see it sit, gotta do something to it, I'm always in the shop, whether listening to music or cleaning up, but cannot not go out there. Longest I've gone from my shop is three-four days, unless the motorhome has taken me somewhere. My projects take one to three years, depending on pocket money.

Spoggie likes this.
  19. 1pickup

1pickup

Plenty of them waiting patiently, but here's the ones on the front burners. Wanted to get the seats & door panels done in the '63 BelAir wagon this winter - only the back seat is finished. My '39 Standard is still waiting for me to tear it apart - burnout in reverse on shop floor = busted trans. Hopefully, getting to that in the next few weeks. I'm in the middle of repairing the chop on the '36/'37 Chevy pickup & I pulled the Tempest independent front suspension & sold it. Wanting to go with a beam axle. Should be finishing the wiring & brakes on my '47 Buick, but it's waiting for the other projects. So, total I suppose is 3 or 4? Haven't spent much time in the shop lately. Built a new LARGE deck on the back of casa de 1pickup, step daughter's getting married in the back yard in 2 days. Then, BACK TO THE SHOP!

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

empty nest is better than an empty garage !

21. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I have 3.....a 59 Fairlane (mild custom), 61 Unibody. (Low,Low), and a 28/29 Model A Special Coupe gonna get a handbuilt steel top (hot rod)

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

Is collecting parts consider to be working on it? If not, I have 0 projects. I have most of the sheet metal for a 39 Dodge pickup (missing rear fenders) and a chassis still hiding under the original donor vehicle. I also have the motor & trans lined up, but no wrench turning has happened yet. If my son's current project ever leaves, mine is next in line. Hopefully I get to start on it in a month or less. Gene

lilmann likes this.
  23. bondolero

bondolero

Two too many; 38 Chevy pickup of my dads we have been doing for the past 6 years and a 34 Ford pickup that we built from parts bought from here mainly. My son now owns my 59 chevy fleet side I have owned about 25 years and is a project for him. Had paint failure on the truck that set us back almost a year. Is basically done, just needs final assembly. 34 is in all raw metal at this point, but complete. Need blown apart, paint, wiring, glass and startup. Working on the 36 is a project in itself.

Attached Files:

mohead1 likes this.
  24. I get side tracked easy......got the truck on the road today, going back to the panel truck to get ready to sell, a few months ago rebuilt the trans on the '47 and pulled the engine twice :rolleyes:, before that got the Lark on the road, then going back on the '28 Tudor. I didn't post a thread for the '47 trans.....the other projects are on the back burner.

'41 Ford Pickup:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1941-ford-pickup.1057277/#post-11996237
    '60 Studebaker Lark:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/another-one-yea-i-know-60-studebaker-lark-wagon.991847/
    '28 Ford Tudor:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/automotive-a-d-d-the-28-tudor.753531/
    '56 Chevy Panel truck:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/they-call-me-panelman-1956-chevy-panel-truck.1099578/
    '59 Hillman Husky:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1958-59-hillman-husky-build.1109102/
    '57 Hillman Husky:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1957-hillman-husky-yes-i-know.1232722/
    '47 Ford Sedan Coupe:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1947-ford-sedan-coupe-mods.1178528/#post-13381339

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    rod1 likes this.
  25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Does building a place to work on them count as progress? I have not touched either my 39 buick or 50
    chevy truck in the last year since moving in with my girlfriend, but have built a 24 by 30 garage so I can. The electrician claims he will be here in 2 weeks so I can finally get the truck moved here to get it
    going as soon as I sheetrock and paint the garage. garage..jpg

alanp561 and '49 Ford Coupe like this.
  26. You all understand that a guy needs to always have a project under construction right....well I have that for sure...I started rebuilding my 54 Chev 1/2 ton truck that I have had for ever, like 40 years +. This was the start of it's 3rd rebuild. It started about six years back. All was going well for like 3 years as $$ permitted. Then I scored my 32 Ford 3 window original body. Everything got pushed aside on the truck and the 3 window build was off and running. 2 years almost to the day and it was done and on the road.
    Then I have to drive the wheels off of it.......for the summer. Then winter starts and I am back on the truck build. Making some headway and then I have to have a new knee installed...project 54 back on hold while I am healing up. Then it is almost spring time so a guy needs to get the roadster and the sedan, plus the 3 window ready for the summer. Project 54 back on hold.
    Look at this way I still have a project build and I will get it done at some point. just not this month. May-be next winter....as summer time is time to get the rods out and drive the wheels off of them.

alanp561 and williebill like this.
  27. I've been working on my 34 coupe since Dec, 07. For awhile I did something on it every day. Now, I'm down to doing something every 3-4 days or so. Not in a big hurry as I love building it.
    EDIT! 04/18...back to working on it every day.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    -Brent- and Gotgas like this.
  28. mohead1

mohead1

Nice truck project....im lookin around for one currently.....wanna truck build

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

29. synchro7

synchro7

I started this 30 coupe in the summer of 1971. Drive able, but still in primer and no interior except for an Army blanket on the seat. It sat untouched for 34 years, 1973-2007. Life and making a living got in the way.

alanp561, clem and williebill like this.
  30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

9yrs now!! I've never before taken this long to build a car and damn embarrassing. o_O:( This time I've had a few delays; divorce, shoulder reconstruction, etc etc. On the home straight now as I have everything else for it, only some panel and paint left. New everything else. At least it now rolls again.

Olds in garage.jpg
    20170409_144708.jpg

alanp561, 28rp and williebill like this.