Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Picked up a set of Speed Bleeders for the front discs and installed them. The set for the rear drums will be here Friday. Found them at O'Reilly's. Part #12702 for the disc's and #12705 for the drum brakes.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Got the day off and got bored. So, I decided to mount the tabs for my fuel line. I'll be running 3/8" metal line, so I installed 4 tabs. Not much, but it's something. I'll mount the + battery cable on a separate set of tabs off the same bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Good news and bad news. Good: My Speed bleeders came for the rear and are installed. Now, I can bleed the system and check for leaks. Bad: a deal on a cheap set of wheels and tires fell through.:( I could probably get a set, for a fee, from the salvage yard, but being on a budget, paying would be counter productive. I'll just continue to save for what I really want.

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Fred.You know what they say about."The best laid plans of mice and men"?BTDT.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. Fred, there is something satisfying about having what you really want....even if it costs more. JW

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  6. spring perch bolt through.jpg anyone know where I can get these bolt through spring perches from. Ive looked through all the usual web sites but can't find them listed.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

loudbang likes this.
  8. Funny couldn't find them when I first searched, but all good.:)

loudbang likes this.
  9. Maybe it just me; but I always found those store bought perches to be troublesome since they are 90 degrees and batwings or 'bones angle inward to the rear. Always made them up angled to fit the application using a piece of DOM tube and a bolt.

loudbang and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  10. You could try Rocket Speed Equipment in Hamilton NZ or maybe that Palmerston North crowd who are slightly closer to you Graham

loudbang likes this.
  11. As I,m running 1/4 elliptic springs all will become clear soon

Sent from my ZTE R84 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RICH B and loudbang like this.
  12. Interesting !! JW

loudbang likes this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Speedway sells those and they are as you described. A bolt welded to DOM tubing. They're not shown in their catalog or website. They're used on Speedways Tribute T and that's where the part number is listed. I have a pair on my build.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

When I converted my axle to springover style I made my perches by welding a bolt to some tubing.
    I had to make custom perches because the springover brackets I made are outside of the original brackets and required the perches to be spaced inward for proper shackle angle/spring preload. The aftermarket perches didn't have enough thread to make that possible.

I did go a step farther after that though and placed a thick washer over the bolt and then wrapped some 3/16th strap, 1 or a bit more inches wide, around the tube.
    The ends I shaped to follow the washer curve and then the strap was welded to the washer and around the pipe.
    After a little grinder and filler work the pivots had a nice tapered look and also were a lot thicker for more support both around the tube and also at the mounting point due to the large base provided by the thick washer.
    2015-07-04 17.54.50m.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Very nice work, Hacker!

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Black Dahlia" is a roller! Well....... sorta. A friend came through with a couple temporary spares that had the bolt pattern I need. One leaks at the rim, but it's a slow leak and not a worry. This set up is 21" and the ones I plan on going with in the end are 26". Using these will make it a lot easier to move around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

looks good.
    I must have missed this, what motor re you using for this?

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

383 SBC

19. That gives it a whole new perspective. Looking good Fred.:cool::cool::) JW

loudbang likes this.
  20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

w
    Whoa... That will haul ass

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yep. It REALLY does. I may break down and buy a pair of wheels and used tires for the rear, but that'll be next week.

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not sure how it is down there Fred but up here you can get a wheel and a decent tire for about $20 at the self serve wrecking yards.

loudbang likes this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

LOL...... $40-50, here. I called around. I'll probably go for it. I had some good hours at work last week, so....... it should be doable.

loudbang likes this.
  24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, I went to 7.... SEVEN junk yards and none had steel rims for a damn 90's S10! One place MAY have had a couple, but they toss all the steel rims in a pile awaiting crushing and the pile was HUGE. So, I'm just going to save up for the wheels I'll eventually use.

Just for kicks, I checked Chevy's parts department and they're discontinued. sigh.......

loudbang likes this.
  25. Bummer, caus I have 2 in the back yard.
    I find them usually still mounted as a spare underneath

loudbang likes this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It used to be like that around here. You'd go to a yard and the damn things would be laying everywhere. At this point, I'm pretty much set on getting the 2 Cragars for the rear and be done with it. Then, save for the 2 front runners.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Memorial Day and I spent the morning at work. It was okay, time and a half will help me buy stuff. But in those hours, I was thinking about the wheels I have chosen for my build. Then.... I had a moment of clarity. It was so clear, that the whole "theme" of my build will change. Nothing drastic. Just a new, more thought out path.

More later. Maybe.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This is sorta the new direction. I'll have a chopped windshield and a more streetable engine with Lake pipes. Note the wheels and tires.;)

[​IMG]

gonzo, loudbang, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  29. Fred, sure you already know this; but you don't need S10 specific wheels, any 5 on 4-3/4" GM wheel should work, just need the metric lug nuts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, I know, Rich. The yards I went to crush steel wheels. I even tried Craigs list. Any way, rather than dump money on temporary wheels, I've decided to get the Cragars. Won't be long.