Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have a note that the red car above was run by Gene Altizer for a few months in 1968 with an injected BBC in B/G.
    I have the above two S & S cars in a file as well as this blue 62 which I think has a classic look to it. Would be interesting to know the story on it as well. Not really a gasser and it appears this may be at a Corvette meet. Still like the car though. V-S-S 1.jpg V-S-S 4.jpg

1947knuck, els, brut4s and 6 others like this.
  2. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Different S&S also. And I'm sure there were even more than those 2.

els and loudbang like this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This picture is at Lebanon Valley Dragway before the new tower was built. I'm not sure when that was maybe around 1990. And it says S & S speed equipment

Pat

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

I understand it is a different S & S. The red car is the S & S I am familiar with out of Falls Church Va that sponsored some big names in the 60s until 1972 I believe. The blue 62 is a completely different S & S out of Massachusetts and interested me as I am partial to 62s. I just wanted to see if I could find out some info on the car.

I have collected hundreds if not thousands of pictures of old drag Corvettes and am trying to file them into some sort of system that makes at least minimal sense. I have an S &S miscellaneous file (for lack of a better way to file unknown cars) with these three cars and have a few notes in the file as well. Hoping to add to it.

I have thought it would be a good idea to write someday about early Corvette in drag racing but it is a pretty large task for sure. I have written some articles on racing back in the teens (AAA racing 1915-1919) and that was an easier task than tracking down all of the info on these obscure Vettes. Still trying to see what I can find I suppose.

Pat thanks on the Lebanon Valley but I had another picture with the car that shows you are correct. Just did not want to post all the pics. V-S-S 3.jpg

1947knuck, els, NHRANUT and 3 others like this.
  5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

KEEP EM COMING:)

els, NHRANUT and loudbang like this.
  6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Enloe only one more picture left in the file so here it is. Some mid years in these photos as well which I am sure V-S-S 2.jpg are of interest to you and your son.

1947knuck, els, 62hotcat and 2 others like this.
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You are the man Jim

els and bowie like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

Man those shots sure bring back memories. :)

loner2 and els like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

1.jpg

2.jpg

Gayland Hill

Gayland Hill.JPG

Light My Fire

Light my fire.jpg

loner2, 1947knuck, els and 6 others like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Dancing Bear II on the back it has some days you get the bear some days the Bear gets YOU

Dancing Bear II.JPG

John Alger

John Alger and altered.JPG

Minuteman

Minuteman.JPG

Vendetta

Vendetta.JPG

wasn't sure where this one belonged

1.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, els and 5 others like this.
  11. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

63 and sis.jpg My old Vette was previously owned by Buz Post and driven by Jeff Hefler. Actually won Super Gas in Houston in 1994. I bought it soon after and did a complete rebuild/update. She has a homemade straight axle with a rack and pinion steering mounted directly to the front axle. Slip steering shaft and u-joints allowed front end travel. Worked fine on and off the track. Chassis wasn't inspected this day, so we ran 10.0, leaving at idle and mat it. Still managed 150 trap speed and long low wheelies. Fun car, sure miss it sometimes. I think we won that day, that's my sister helping me down the lanes at Maple Grove.

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

AWESOME

els likes this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Getting hard to figure out the classes for these but they are all Hot Rod Corvettes so I will put them here.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Corvette Auto Parts at Fontana

Corvette Auto Parts at Fontana.JPG

MO JO

DMp Mojo.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, els and 5 others like this.
  14. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

2nd gear air.

jp

Attached Files:

1947knuck, els, hendelec and 8 others like this.
  15. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Out of the clear blue last night, something in my clutch let go in the Corvette. Guessing one of the springs in the center hub broke. My question is who's using the Center Force clutch's and how do they perform on the street and strip. The last thing I want is a clutch that chatters in traffic. Thanks in advance.

els likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Well shit that sure sucks.

loner2, els and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  18. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

I put in one on a friends car for the street and it worked good, as long as its not high HP application with sticky tires.

jp

19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks JP. The Corvette is probably 400 HP and I'll be running slicks at less than 1/2 dozen events. The other suggestions I have is Dual Force Ram Clutch and a McLeod Super Street Pro. Don't have any past experience with either.

20. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

1947knuck, els, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  21. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

Dave Storling at Minnesota Dragways

1975 Dave Storling MN Dragways.jpg

Robert Tangen also at Minnesota Dragways
    1975 Robert Tangen MN Dragways.jpg

1947knuck, els, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  22. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

Not sure what class this would run but very wicked for the street
    img522.jpg
    img523.jpg

23. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

Just looks so nice
    2010 Indy20100903_0330.jpg

1947knuck, els, Splitbudaba and 5 others like this.
  24. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

McLeods are great and good tech support, my personal experience I stay away from dual disc systems, I think a higher end centerforce system would work well.

jp

els, loudbang and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron I have been running a couple of Centerforce clutches for a number of years in my black 62. The difference may be that I do not have quite the horsepower of your car. The black car has a stock 327/365. I have not babied the car nor the clutch and have made a few trips down the track with good results. I had a problem 6 or 7 years ago with slipping after a while with the first Centerforce so I upgraded and after talking to Centerforce tech support they suggested I go with a different pressure plate and one of their discs that have the pucks on one side. If I remember correctly he told me it was the disc they suggest with RB block Mopars. It has really stood up well for the past 5 years or so and I have been happy with it and when I replace it I will probably go with the same setup.

I have also heard good stuff on the Ram clutches. If you want me to look up the numbers of what I am running I will see if I put the numbers in my build book-probably did but have not looked at the book in years.

26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. I appreciate all this info. I used to buy all my clutch and pressure plates right from GM, all HD parts that I had great luck with over the years. Now they are discontinued, and after not using any of these after-market clutches for over 30 years, I trust you guys over what I read in the magazines / internet. Not getting any "fake news" or BS here. Thanks !

27. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

28. vetrod62

vetrod62

Once you get the HP and traction correct, None of the street/strip clutches will work. I went through 12 clutches in one season. Center Force is street only, Even Ram dual force only gave me 14 runs before failing. If you are serious about a street and race clutch, you need a slipper clutch like the Ram 471 clutch and the 1363 sintered disc. Be aware, This clutch is strictly business. Not street friendly. More like an on/off switch.
    That disc is indestructible. It grabs hard and will scream like a Banshee if you slip it too much. It has a lot of rules to set it up. Also to get it to work at the track. I just set it at mid point and it works for me.

[​IMG]

29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Jim. I wondered what you used as your car launches real hard. My car will see much more street time than track time, so I want something that is "user friendly". Appreciate your reply. ( 12 clutches in one season...almost $5K in parts. Yikes.)

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  30. loudbang

loudbang

a8f551f871b40a6b27859570c8792c1f.jpg

Checkmate

Checkmate GMP.jpg

Devastation

Devastation.jpg

Fred Napfel Super Bull

Fred Napfel   Super Bull.jpg

gass.jpg

loner2, 1947knuck, els and 4 others like this.