Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2017 MSRA Back To The 50's St. Paul, Minnesota June 23, 24, 25

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed~On, May 18, 2017.

1. Speed~On

Speed~On

It is once again that time of year. The weather is nice, the promise of Summer in our sights and many great car shows are upon us. In 34 short days the 44th Annual MSRA Back To The 50's car show will be in full force. I say full force because the Twin Cities will be taken over by 12,000 hot rods, customs, gassers, and vintage race cars 1964 and older.

If you are a Back To The 50's faithful, you're waiting with great anticipation. If you'll be a first time attendee you're excited to experience first hand all that you've heard. If you're not familiar with this show, then it's time to get your tail and your ride to St. Paul and experience 3 packed days of Hot Rod Heaven.

Once again there will be a North and South Registration Pick Up location. If you have not registered your car, you'll use the North location at the Host Hotel.
    https://msrabacktothe50s.com/vehicle-registration/

It's endless cruising, great swap meet, live music, camping, 325 hot rod vendors selling their goods, premiere car builders, cruisin art fair, auction, model car contest, Fly over by a contingent of World War II airplanes and more cars than you can comprehend. All of this at the beautiful and sprawling Minnesota State Fairgrounds.

upload_2017-5-18_10-1-9.png

upload_2017-5-18_10-15-16.png

I made this several years ago, so it's a little old....but you get the idea

Do yourself a favor, pack up the family and get to this "must attend" event. Your family will love it.
    Please feel free to share your previous BTT50's experience with your fellow HAMBers.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Graystoke and FrozenMerc like this.
  2. 50fordguy1

50fordguy1

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  3. 50fordguy1

50fordguy1

My first time to Back to 50"s. Flying into Minn/St.Paul airport. Renting a vehicle. Where to stay? How to get to event?What to expect in traffic? give me the scoop please. Thanks.

Speed~On and Speed Gems like this.
  4. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Havent missed one since I started going in 1995. ^^^^if you haven't gotten a room yet, I suggest you had better start checking on one like yesterday. The event is at the fairgrounds which you should have no trouble finding once you are there. traffic can be a bear depending on where your room is located and what time you head over to the grounds.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Yup, if you have not been, it needs to go on your bucket list.
    Tons of great cars and the fairgrounds venue is the perfect ticket that really enhances this event.
    It's a don't miss for sure! :)

6. Speed~On

Speed~On

As HAMBer cshades stated, if you have not booked your hotel room....get on it now.

Where to stay-
    I have a friend that attends every year. A few weeks ago he called the hotel where he always stays and all their rooms are booked for that weekend. The good news is it's the Twin Cities so there's a lot of hotels. However, this event brings in literally thousands of people. The airport is not that far from the fairgrounds. I would stay somewhat close to the fairgrounds. This will keep you close to the action and you'll have a short drive to your room once you leave at the end of each day. You'll understand once you arrive. After walking all day the last thing you'll want to do is fight the traffic in the Twin Cities, which will be crazy on Friday. Saturday and Sunday you're fine. I would suggest you arrive at the fairgrounds early. It's absolutely amazing how quickly that place fills. Besides, you'll have a lot to look at.

How To Get To The Event.
    That will be pretty easy, especially if you have a smart phone. The MN State Fairgrounds is off of Snelling AVE and Larpenteur AVE to the North and Como AVE to the South. The map below shows you THE INSIDE OF THE FAIRGOUNDS. Yes, it is that big. It literally has it's own Police Dept. because the Fairgrounds is so large. Amazingly, this entire place will be packed end to end with hot rods.....no shit! Now you know why you can walk for 3 straight days and not see all the sweet cars in the show. It's hot rod overload:D
    upload_2017-5-18_13-26-18.png

Schedule Of Events
    upload_2017-5-18_13-41-18.png

What to expect:
    If there is minimal rain, be prepared for the time of your life!!
    Be ready to walk, so bring the most comfortable shoes you own that are made for walking. I see you're from Georgia so you're used to the sun. Bring sun screen anyway, MN has a way of getting hot this time of year. You'll be very impressed with just how nice the fairgrounds are. There is an abundance of trees, shade, sidewalks, it's kind of a city within a city. When you're tired from walking, just sit down and let the cars come to you. There's a constant flow of cars moving throughout the grounds.

The fun starts Thursday with Registration Pick-up. If you're in town on Thr go to the Host Hotel. Hot rods are there all day as they'll be picking up their registration packets. It's like a fluid car show and there will be a lot to see. Here is the Back To The 50's HAMB thread from a few years ago. Note the photos from Thursday Registration Pick-Up at the host hotel. (North Location)
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...st-paul-minnesota-june-19-20-21.975445/page-3

Friday morning the Spectator Gates open at 8:00 AM.

People are super friendly for the most part. That's why it's referred to as "Minnesota Nice". People will bend over backwards for you. It's a family event and everyone's there to have a great time, so don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with people.

Attached Files:

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a first timers from New Zealand we are really looking forward to it. Checking out some fresh cars. meeting new people and fellow HAMBers. Enjoying your hospitality and scenic countryside.
    Perhaps the traffic not so much. What will the traffic be like towards Roseville and the easiest route to follow?
    It seems it will be a sensory overload. May need another vacation to recover.
    Will have to hide the rental in the back, might be in withdrawal symptoms with no hot rod while visiting the US.
    Bring it on.

8. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

The main drag right in front,snelling ave is under some pretty heavy re-do.Should make it interesting getting around there.Probably will cut down on some the latter festivitys that go on after hours.

9. BJR

BJR

Every year they get about 11,000 cars 1964 and older (no Mustangs) pre registered. So There are 3 days worth of cars to look at. Great swap meet on Sunday also.

10. try to stay off of Snelling avenue. if you are staying at a hotel in Roseville there is a back way that avoids most traffic

11. ken bogren

ken bogren

Not sure about this year, but in the past there have remote "park and ride" sites where you park your car and ride a but to the fairgrounds.

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes there is a park and ride listing on the flyer at the first posting. Unfortunately when i try to zoom in to read it it becomes too blurry to read. Or is it my fuzzy eyes?

13. there is actually some parking for non hot rod type cars on the fairgrounds. come in from the north side off from Larpenteur avenue...come very early! otherwise , there is parking off Como avenue on the south side

14. ken bogren

ken bogren

15. Pretty damn excited!
    image.jpeg

16. Speed~On

Speed~On

Thank you 36-3 Window and Ken. As stated there is quite a bit of parking on the south side of the fairgrounds off Como. Also the North side has parking but the lot is smaller. Here is a link to the MSRA website Schedule Page. Just click on the Schedule and it will enlarge
    https://msrabacktothe50s.com/event-schedule-and-fairgrounds-map/

Chucky, I was wondering what you'd be driving this year.

17. Willy_P

Willy_P

We are registered and bringing the 57 but working out an idling issue
    IMG_1495165820.857011.jpg

18. I've missed 1 year since 91 (Lymes disease) Definitely be ready to walk, the fairgrounds is nearly a mile square and it is pretty much packed with cars.
    I like to drop down off of Larpenteur west of the fairgrounds on Cleveland, then enter the fairgrounds on Commonwealth/West Dan Patch, much less traffic there and if you are going to the swapmeet on Sunday there is lots of parking just north of the swap area on or just off of Randell.
    I wonder if it would be worth parking over at the Mall of America, they run shuttle buses back and forth all day.

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Kiwi 4d...do you know people in Minnesota or are you coming to the event on your own?
    If you don't know anyone maybe some member here can sort of adopt you for the weekend.Help get you around the area,knows the back ways and help make it a more laid back enjoyable event.
    Don't have to spend every minute together,just get in the gate and run amok. then get you back to where your staying for at least the first day.
    Just a thought.

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. No we haven't been in the Minnesota area before so are newbys. We are going to check out one HAMBers special cool collection on the Wednesday evening. Alchemy gave us awesome directions to the fair grounds to avoid some traffic(hopes). Always nice to meet new folk . I am sure Rodders will flock around to check out our Toymota corolla or what ever they inflict on us as a rental at our hotel. Which is Hampton inn Roseville.

Willy_P, Speed~On and Moriarity like this.
  21. Speed~On

Speed~On

HAMBer Tman has set up a HAMBer Meet & Greet for Saturday at Back To The 50s. Thank you, Tman!

He posted this in the thread Back To The 50's Meet and Greet. For those of you that may not have seen that thread, here is the info:

We will be meeting at Jeff and Jennie Bloedorns (HAMBers Jeffbtitus and stichbitch) spot in the Robin Lot, NW of the grandstand and sadly the defunct race track at 1PM Saturday of Back to the 50s. A lot of longtime HAMBers will be there, should be a fun time. http://www.mnstatefair.org/interactive/maps/

1959Nomad likes this.
  22. Speed~On

Speed~On

Time to get your ride on the road. 1 week and registration pick-up begins. Safe travels for all who will be traveling to St. Paul for the event.

[​IMG]

1959Nomad likes this.
  23. BJR

BJR

Any idea where in the Robin lot, it's a big lot. Hopefully by the main road or the old race track that's where the trees and shade are.

24. 3 of us club members are going, leaving thursday morning. Not bringing any cars though (I know what a bunch of pussies!) Still have a blast, been going for over 20 years now!

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

time to get ready, hope to see some HAMB'ers there

Speed~On likes this.
  26. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

We haven't missed cruising to Minnesota since '98. Traffic has been a problem on a couple of Thursdays on the past. The registration hotel was even relocated a few years ago because of road construction. I have heard that there is a lot of road construction this year along I-694 and the Lexington Avenue exit. I have tried to get more information about alternate routes or detours. Asking AAA was a waste of time. My emails the MSRA have gone unanswered. Does ANYONE have any answers of suggestions for those of us coming from the east that will help us.

27. Speed~On

Speed~On

Brewtown,
    Are you coming from Milwaukee?
    Here is the link to the MNDOT website (MN Dept. of Transportation). They do a good job detailing the construction work in MN. This link will take you to the 694 project. http://www.dot.state.mn.us/enhance694/index.html

Also, here is a map from the MSRA website.

20170620_083701.jpg

I don't know if the Lexington Ave ramp at 694 is closed. If it is the detour for it looks simple. Just get off 694 at Victoria St. (Which is right before Lexington). Take a left at Cnty Rd F, then your next left down into the host hotel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  28. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

29. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

THANKS, "Speed-On"
    We normally do use the Victoria Street exit. I will check out the MNDOT site!
    Yes, we are cruising out of Milwaukee on Wednesday.

30. Roadsir

Roadsir

Recovering from a dog attack and trip to the ER last night...., but I'll be there. Staying at the Hampton Inn in Roseville MN. Contemplated bringing two cars, but not sure I can get the logistics squared away. Think I will bring the 32 sedan this year.