Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tribute Sparks & Bonney Speed Shop 1951 Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Crow, May 15, 2017.

1. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Wife and I just got this 1951 Mercury Pickup and will be customizing it to look like her dad's old dry lakes truck. Anyone else have advice with these old trucks to keep orig engine and fit in today's driving? IMG_1212.JPG IMG_0198.JPG

bubba55, Stogy, Torkwrench and 3 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

you can change thread title - what motor in truck? condition? how often will it be on the road? rear gear ratio/trans?

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Toss it , 5.0 HO , AOD , 9 inch( from a 62-79 bolts in ) , dropped axle , Toyota power steering , power brakes , AC , and drive it like you were stealin something in it !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Thanks
    Engine is a 239 flat head. We like to keep the engine and trans, but like option of swap to a 9" rear end from 60-72 F1 and will be searching one out. Thanks.

waxhead likes this.

5. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

We just got it home. As soon as I can verify what it has and doesn't have I can post. We will be using it on weekends or to tow vintage silver streak trailer.

6. I like your plan to keep the flathead, however since you plan to tow with it I would go with a bigger engine. Also upgrade the brakes.
    My F-1 runs a flat v8 with a 5 speed and later 9 inch rear. Fun to drive, but I wouldn't want to tow anything very heavy with it.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. Wait, wait, wait... are you saying your father-in-law was Tom Sparks???

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

the suspense is killing me... Tom Sparks? Really?

9. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Yes, here is a picture or Tom. The 29 roadsters I have was his.

Attached Files:

10. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

RMRMC - our trailer is a Silver streak about 4,500lbs, not a newer heavy trailer. Like your truck.

11. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Yes

12. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Keeping the flat head is very cool. A late model engine and auto make it boring. Id go with a 3 speed with overdrive gearbox. That will keep original looking and still give good high way cruising. A low first gear if you want to tow. Remember back in the day they used to tow with them. Just have to drive it according to how the truck responds. Just get used to driving a bit slower. It will never drive like a modern car. That's what makes old cars so much fun to drive. One actually has to drive them. They don't do any thinking for you.

Fitnessguy likes this.
  13. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Thanks Aussie57, this next weekend I will be able to get numbers and identify what the truck currently has. We like the idea of keeping the flat head for same reason.

14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes x2! I just don't get the put an LS motor in the old car thing! I mean I get it but I don't get it. Nothing uglier than a new motor under a vintage hood. Want modern, go buy modern. Cool truck and cool build, will definitely follow. So is your father in law still around? Would be cool to hear a little of his story with the original truck.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

aussie57wag likes this.
  15. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I'm building a 52 F1, have collected and installed 9" Ford from a 57 F100. 4" dropped axle + removed several leafs (front and back). Engine is a 53 Merc with a period correct McCullough supercharger. Motor just finished and not installed. Trans is a wide ratio column shift. Typical big and little radials.
    More later... Merc 1.png Merc 5.png Merc 5.png

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I have a MOV file with Merc running on test stand but it is too big for this forum. I can "E" it to anyone interested! Gene

17. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

No, he passed away a number of years ago. He would have really look liked recreating his shop truck. Also he was excellent at working on ford flat head engines.

18. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Thanks Gene, I will be asking a few questions when we get that far along with our truck. Great job.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Several years back, a friend had a 53 f 100. Merc flathead, 3 speed O.D. out of an 86 f 150. Original gears, took to the highway well but still cruised around 65. A newer 9 inch would have been a good addition.

20. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

IMG_675864042613262.jpeg IMG_20170529_151055.jpg IMG_20170529_151237.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  21. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Added photos of engine, tranny and rear end to this thread. Going through the steps trailer check everything since truck hasn't run in a long time.

22. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Gene, the engine in the 51 pickup seems stuck so pulled heads. Did you deal with this when you started?

Attached Files:

23. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very cool build. I agree with keeping the flathead for what it is worth. Subscribed.