Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Falcons done right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Nov 20, 2005.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw that too. Plenty of good replacement Falcons to be had.

Lives, and lifetimes, not so much.

2. Decided to dive in on my 62 crewcab falcon and glad I did, guy before me said he had it all ready to go, I decided to cut half a coil up front and do a visual on the rest... dangerous is the understatement, what wasn't stripped, bent, or broke was missing hardware. So I rebuilt the upper control arms, new ball joints, cut half a coil, drilled the Shelby relocation holes, got new lower control arms, new wheel bearings, and everything for the brakes minus backing plates. Good times!

Sent from my HTC One A9 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

This is my new 1960 Falcon two door wagon acquired four weeks ago. I have lowered it three inches, installed 1960 Buick taillights and added stainless steel window shades.

[​IMG]

The wagon is a garage mate to my 1963 Ranchero.

[​IMG]

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like the tail light treatment^^^...

5. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

Thanks scrap metal 48. The Ranchero also has 1960 Buick tail lights.

[​IMG]

6. ROCKETMAN65

ROCKETMAN65

I have 62 Mercury Comet. What is the largest tire and rim can be installed on the car without a mini-tub? I plan on installing a shortened 9" Ford Rear End on the car.

7. ROCKETMAN65

ROCKETMAN65

I have a 62 Mercury Comet that I'm turning into a street rod. Can you tell me what is the largest tire and rims that will fit on the car without having to mini-tub? I plan on installing a modified Ford 9" Rear End.

Thanks!

8. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

Nice work on the Car. Resullts look good.

I see you did the disc brake conversion, I have just finished the swap on a 64 Comet. Can you tell me the steering parts you used. Right now I have the Versaises outer tie rod ends, and the crap that came with the car. The steering box is a 1" sector shaft. And the pitman arm (which is loose) hits the clutch linkage. Did you modify the steering stops on the strot rods? Thanks for the help.

droppedstepside likes this.
  9. Claynan

Claynan

IMG_6607.JPG Adding a couple of mine to keep the post going. 64 Sprint convert and a newly acquired 64 Futura.

10. Well, here's my Australian 'sprint'! Couldn't afford to bring one out of the states to Tasmania, so we made our own version, cut up a 1965 Aussie XP coupe, added a Xk tear end with an Aussie Xl front. Running a 351 Windsor, C4 & shortened 9".[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. RmK57

RmK57

Turned out really nice! /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

loudbang and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hey crowbar, very very cool.. Great job...

14. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

More pictures and details please.. Car is black and looks smooth--great work and great aesthetic..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

IMG_20161213_102724.jpg my two falcons.. I haven't posted on here in awhile IMG_20161103_074944.jpg

16. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

Thought some of you guys would like to know this too, been working on getting them remade

4x4.5 pattern spidercaps coming spring 2017! The people who were inquiring and people who do not know about these being made, here is an update. It's been a long process but they are almost here!

just got the sample base plate back to test the fitment on an actual rim. Next step is to have the center cones welded on the back side.

These are a bit different from the originals. There is only one plate with cone and you can use stock lug nuts with the plastic lug covers or use bullet shaped lug nuts. This design will make it easy for removal of wheel and tire, instead of the traditional 1 piece cap and base ring to screw into

It will be about a month to get the final sample in hand and test fit, and another 90 days till they actually run a production on them.

I cant wait to finally get them completed and out on some cars!

IMG_20170103_191904_259.jpg
    61E843DC-5993-40C4-AC8C-5D494E19400C-1.JPG 5FC053E5-CD11-4C14-9912-9B3BEDF9075D.JPG

haring likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. You beat me to it Gimpy.
    You've made a lot of changes to the white Hardtop, Evil......I'd like to hear more about it.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

The roll cage is from Rhodes race cars, did single hoop with down bars then had two more come off the rear downbars to the center of where the 4 link bolts in and plated the floor, so the force goes thru the cage.

Originally a 6 cylinder car now has a 302 with efi and a 4 speed toploader, tci 4 link in the rear with a maverick 8" 4 LUG with wilwood disc brakes. Front is a cpp mini sub frame kit and control freak upper arms. Rci 17 gal fuel cell and pro werks gas cap will be grafted back into where the stock filler would have been.

all seat brackets are tied into the cage and will be running low back racetech seats, hand made exhaust tips out the side and will be using blackwidow exhaust. All the sheet metal will be the same other then using the back trunk futura Spears instead of the arrow head chrome type that was originally on the car. Also grafted a 69 camero front valance onto the car, not complete but it's getting there along with the rest of the car!
    FB_IMG_1483685197021.jpg 20170101_122817.jpg IMG_20161031_094345.jpg

Thor1, brEad, BLUSHU and 4 others like this.
  20. Lots of changes! Looks great.

I see you're going with the verboten fuel system, nice!

Posted with an IBM Selectric

loudbang likes this.
  21. Erose999

Erose999
    from Athens GA

[ quote ] I have just finished the swap on a 64 Comet. Can you tell me the steering parts you used. Right now I have the Versaises outer tie rod ends, and the crap that came with the car. [ / quote ]
    If you have Versailles tie rods, I would assume you also have the Versailles brakes/spindles? As I understand it they're similar to Granada in the brake parts and geometry, but the holes for the tie rods are different. I can't really comment much on that, but I know Mustang Steve makes some adapter parts that will allow you to use Versailles stuff.

As for the steering, here's what I have:

65 Falcon drag link
    Stock '62 steering box, 1" shaft
    65 Falcon pittman arm
    65 Falcon idler arm - I used a roller unit from Opentracker racing:
    http://opentrackerracing.com/product/roller-idler-arm-manual-power-steering-1964-1966/
    65 Falcon inner tie rod ends - shortened by 1/4" by cutting threaded end off.
    65 Falcon tie rod sleeves - shortened 1/8" at each end
    '77 Granada outer tie rod ends - shortened 1/4" by cutting threaded part.
    '77 Granada spindles/brake assembly
    '65 Falcon steering stops
    Adjustable strut rods using frame mounts from Rosehill performance, swaged tubing, and stock strut rod cut off/turned down/threaded.

I don't have any issues with clutch linkage as I have a cable clutch setup. The two issues I ran into were not being to get the alignment right because the tie rods were butting together inside the sleeves (which I solved by shortening the rods and sleeves some) and the header I have on my inline 6 hits the frame mount for the idler arm slightly (which I was able to solve partially by shimming up the motor mount on the passenger side ). I have a different header I'm hoping will clear, just have to get time to put it on.

coneman likes this.
  22. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

After a near death experience I try to discourage the use of '67 and up spindles (granada etc.) on pre'66 Ford cars.... the ackermann angle is completely different and will create bump steer. Instead use 65 Falcon/Comet or 64.5-'66 Mustang V8 spindles they have the correct ackerman angle and are the same for disc or drum so can be easily converted to the '66 4 puck disc set up

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Outback and loudbang like this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BINGO! I have been trying to explain this to people for more than a decade, only to be told by folks (who are not engineers) that I (engineer) have no idea what I am talking about.

Disc brake solutions for these cars can be had inexpensively, via a number of different routes and sources, for not that much money. Scarebird makes nice brackets, that allow the use of off-the-shelf, common parts.

brEad, loudbang and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cage looks good. Any chance I could get you to post a picture of how close it would come to the door/roof post (b-pillar) on an earlier Falcon?

I am trying to build up/buy a 6-point bar, closer to the sheet metal, and farther from the occupants.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  25. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

Depending on what seat you run you could for sure move the Main hoop to be right behind the pillar of a coupe. I'll take a pic with the windows up on my hardtop

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!

27. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

20170109_152330.jpg 20170109_152419.jpg 20170109_152419.jpg not the best pics I have a 2 x 4 for structure on the Floor and the cage is tied into that. I'm on the taller side and I'm using lowback bucket seats but you could certainly hid the cage behind the pillar most likely

loudbang and BurntOutOldMechanic like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good.

I want to get a good b-pillar tie-in.

29. loudbang

loudbang

Seems like the best place for this one.

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

[​IMG]

30. Brrrnout

Brrrnout

Hey guys. New to the site but I have been lurking for awhile now. I've been on the hunt for a wagon for sometime now and I finally picked one up last week.

60 Faclon wagon
    C4, 3 speed
    Maverick rear end

Hope to swap to 5 lug front and disk brakes sometime in the near future. I'm also not a fan of the flow masters it has and want to run glass packs. Anyone out there running glass packs with a 302? What length do you suggest?

JD

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2017