Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Doug McCauley's Studebaker Truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, May 16, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Doug McCauley's Studebaker Truck

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

They are almost factory customs with the lack of running boards on a truck that almost calls for running boards.
    Round fenders when many of the majors were going to a 'square' cubism look. And, "It's a Studebaker???!!!"
    Duel chrome exhausts up and down the bed remind one of the Ala Kart, Doug grabbed style cues from 'smaller' vehicles and moved them to a larger blob of a truck,,, well done.

3. Torchie

Torchie

As some one that likes to customize trucks this one is a great example of what to do that's right. Overall the mods are minor(The quad headlights being the exception) but the big picture is one that really works. Sometimes the off brand customs are the coolest because you are forced to think differently then the main stream. As it were.......
    Torchie

Sancho and Jive-Bomber like this.
  4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Great looking truck! My first thought was it'd look even better lowered. I read the captions and found out it was. Still think it's high though.

5. sololobo

sololobo

loved it in the little books back then. tasty truck

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wonder if the stacks aren't removable for shows. They are chromed but have lots of kinks/awkward bends with visible joints where the belly burners have a more graceful curve and no joints

7. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I have seen so many Stude pickups and have never seen one that I liked. I have seen some that people stuck way too much money into and they are just Ugly to me, only cool thing about this one is the Louvered hood. But it's doesn't off set the Stacks which only belong on a Semi.

8. @Tim I don't know for sure but I think the stacks look that they way because they follow the shape of the side of the cab. Appears to mimic the cab contour up to around the beltline.

9. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Nicely done, looks good no mater the brand.

10. Pretty cool little truck. I would lose the stacks personally but other than that I'd run it.

11. Here's a circa 1961 photo of Doug's Stude:

Doug McCauley '50 Studebaker in '62 San Mateo Show Program.jpg

... from the "7th Annual San Mateo Custom, Rod, & Sports Car Show" om the souvenir program: 1962 San Mateo Custom Rod & Sports Car Show - Program Cover.jpg

stanlow69 and Sancho like this.
  12. Torchie

Torchie

Even with out the running boards K13......:)
    Torchie

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I enjoyed reading about that truck when I picked up that magazine at the swap meet, 30 years ago, and I kept it for a long time but I don't know what happened to it. But to me, that was the best feature in that issue and the color photo was great.

14. aircap

aircap

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Looking at that beautiful Studebaker truck made me start to think about whatever happened to it along with many of the other great custom cars and trucks from the 50's and 60's

Has there every been anyone who is a custom car historian who knows the history of whatever happened to so many of these beautiful works of art?
    I love looking at these old cars and when you think about all of the hours and money it took to create these cars I just wonder have many of them survived and are still around or part of someones private collection and how many are sitting in a garage some where just collecting dust on them.

What an interesting book it could be for a lover of old custom cars just to see recent pictures of many of these true classics again and how they look today.
    Just my opinion. Jimbo

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Sancho:

This for sending me that link. Very Cool and this is what I was looking for.

I know the on the East Coast we have Ray Soff who is called the Rod & Custom Historian and his knowledge of old customs is really something.

I have had guys call me from Arizona to tell me they bought a custom 55 Chevrolet and they believed it belonged to someone in the N.J. area and they were looking for information about the car.
    I gave them Ray's phone and when the guy called me back and explained to me that Ray had him on the phone for one hour and told him who originally built the car along with how many different colors it had been painted over the years along with a list of people who have owned the car.
    Jimbo

Sancho likes this.
  17. Haha Yeah Torchie even without the running boards. Studes kind of get a pass because they never had them although someone on here was building one and added running boards and I thought they improved the look of the truck.:oops::)

Torchie likes this.
  18. froghawk

froghawk

Cool truck! The color shot is beautiful. Looks like there's a lot of white paint on the inner fenders and undercarriage. I'd have to pick one exhaust system or the other and that freakin' teddy bear would have to find another ride.