Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Build #2 I 30 Model A"Coupe" AKA Phoenix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackalope, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looks good, how about a close up of where it comes out of the firewall, what did you use ? Thanks, can't believe how fast you got this together, way ahead of me.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. jackalope

jackalope

I don't have any pics right now but it is a swivel mount made by ididit
    That'll give you an idea. I will try and take a pic when I can.
    This project is taking longer than I was planning but I can't/won't complain because I am grateful how it has worked out thus far. No major hiccups or road blocks.
    The big thing I have found is just pecking away at it even if it is only an hour or so. It all adds up.

3. jackalope

jackalope

4. jackalope

jackalope

This may help. I just zoomed in on my phone pic. Keep in mind I don't have it fully tightened to sit flush on firewall. [​IMG]

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks for the pic, worked out well.
    No build thread, guys with skills like yours makes it a little intimidating, I didn't start one when I started the car and now I feel it's kind of cheating to start in the middle. Maybe I will, thanks for the interest tho

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  6. jackalope

jackalope

Believe me, I am just winging it as I go! I have a buddy that I will shoot texts to when I have questions and he is helpful. Like my frame. When I decided to build it I honestly didn't even know where to start. I asked him and he told me some dimensions that worked out great. Everything else in my build is having pieces and parts and finding a way to make them fit/work. Like the rear spring. It's actually a front spring but fits just right the way I built it.
    I think you should start a thread. You'd be surprised how helpful it can be to others. Hell, right now I can't figure out how I want to or should mount my headlights. I've been scanning the net looking for ideas. I mocked something up last night and I'm not really diggin it.

7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, the pics are scattered in my desktop, laptop, and iPhone, but thanks for the encouragement

8. foxforcefive

foxforcefive

Jackaope
    I just got the Eastwood bead roller and was wondering if you had to brace yours? Adding the motor is awesome i am going to have to upgrade mine great build i really like the channeled stance

9. jackalope

jackalope

I haven't reinforced mine yet but it definitely needs it. Just too flimsy. I think it is the exact same unit Harbor Freight sells to be honest. Fine for I have been doing but most certainly needs beefing up. I bought it mainly for the dies. I was going to just have a piece of 1" plate water jetted like the piece they use but I imagine I'll just reinforce what I have being that I have too many projects as it is.

10. jackalope

jackalope

I got the radiator mounted inside the shell and also get the headlights mounted. Redid the turn signals and they are now below.
    Then I started working on the deck lid. Skin had some bad spots so I am patching it up and will button it up in the next few days or whenever I can get back in the shop. For now just pics of the front
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. jackalope

jackalope

I've been trying to help my dad with his 64 vette. Therefore not much time with mine. I have, though, been trying to mock the alternator and make an adjustable bracket. Here's what I have thus far.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    It may not show much. Basically it is going to have a pivot point and the other end will travel in an adjustable arc. It will also have a turnbuckle tied into the adjustable arc and anchored on the other end to provide tension duties. Should work well.
    I'm heading out of the country for a couple weeks so no updates until I return. Then I should be at it pretty hard though until it's running.

12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Check out the Helmuth Brother's Coupe build thread. He shows how he beefed up his to do his floors.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  13. jackalope

jackalope

Had a couple hours to play around. Remade the alternator bracketry. Also got the fan installed with a smidge of room to spare.
    I then made a support brace that holds the radiator in place. It mounts to the underside of the air intake. That was the only place it would work and still retain the lines I wanted. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Next step is going to be headers.

Dino 64 likes this.
  14. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looks nasty in a good way. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 and jackalope like this.
  15. jackalope

jackalope

Had some time this weekend so I started building the fuel cell. Also bout a bunch of tube to build headers. Once tank is done then headers will be up. Tank should be finished in a day or so. Just need one more day to weld it up. It was quite a pain to bend it in my old manual finger brake. Was a two person job. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Sump will be at low point on passenger side.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    brianf31 and loudbang like this.
  16. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Really coming together, nice job. What hinges are you using for the deck lid ?

17. jackalope

jackalope

I bought them from a H.A.M.B. Member
    I think from a 50's Buick maybe?

Dino 64 likes this.
  18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks

19. jackalope

jackalope

20. jackalope

jackalope

Fuel tank is finished and air tight. I forgot to take pics of the finished product.
    I did get started on the headers.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. jackalope

jackalope

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Got back to the shop a couple hours. Pretty much welded up. I plan to pull the small spacers out from between the pipes and weld a few more but more evenly spaced.

22. jackalope

jackalope

Decided to wrap the headers since I didn't use SS. Just used what I had and they turned out pretty good. I then machined some end inserts out of SS to give the pipes some contrast.
    I also made a "trap door" for the MC in the floor pan. Just need to cut the floor pan out to fit.
    Plasma cutter took a crap on me so I had to take a break to fix it. Thankfully it was a simple fix.
    I then did some layout for the front bones at the body end. I want them to be in double shear so I am making some brackets that will bolt to the underside of the frame and tie in to the bone. That'll be tomorrow.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Andy Velders, Dino 64 and loudbang like this.
  23. jackalope

jackalope

Got back to the shop and made a few parts. Where the front bones bolt to the frame, I made a bracket for each side that puts the bolt in double shear. It bolts to the underside of the frame rail and over the rod end of the bone.

Then I made a trap door to access the master cylinder. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. jackalope

jackalope

lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  25. jackalope

jackalope

Had a couple hours to get some stuff done at the shop. Made a little "saddle" for the Lokar shifter to sit on. Shifts nice and smooth.
    Also some poser shots of headers from above. Obviously need to adjust the toe in at some point
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Gonna try to get to the shop this evening to work on the seats.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    loudbang, lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Lookin good, those exhaust tips are really neat. Fits the style of the build.

27. jackalope

jackalope

Made some seats last night. Only had about and hour to cut and bend them up. Turned out okay. Problem is they need to be water jet cut. The hand held plasma sticks creating inconsistencies in the cut.
    I'll clean these up and use them but will likely make some different ones later on down the road. [​IMG][​IMG]
    I also plan to make some other size simple does. The ones I made a long time ago are not big enough.

mkebaird and loudbang like this.
  28. jackalope

jackalope

Got the seats sitting in there with some old cushions I had made for my 28. They won't stay and we're only used to see how it felt. [​IMG]

29. jackalope

jackalope

Got to the shop last night for a couple hours and installed some sliders for the seats just for that little extra bit of creature comfort and then realized they would work
    Reason being is the body tapers towards the front and if you slide forward they jam into the door panel. I'm actually kinda glad though. It's snug in there and adjustability forward would only be for actual midgets!!!
    Going to get back in the "trunk" area tonight hopefully and design an anchor point for seat belts. Baby steps.....
    Poser shot as I was leaving.

[​IMG]

30. 55chevr

55chevr

Volkswagen Beetle has more shoulder room then a Model A.
    Joe

jackalope likes this.