Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead Starter Woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sheep Dip, May 5, 2017.

1. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Looking for an answer from all of you Flathead V8 parts Guru's.
    A while back I was trying to replace my starter in my Flathead this is what came out, the old style Henry Ford impact spring on the end
    upload_2017-5-5_16-16-22.jpeg This is what they sent me as a replacement
    upload_2017-5-5_16-18-46.jpeg I could no way shape or form get the end of this starter past my flywheel/ring gear? My only thought, was I have a Truck bell housing which is cast and a little thicker vs a steel which is thinner.

I ended up with this and am happy but I'm at a loss as to why the replacement would not fit other than the bell housing thickness.

Any info just for general knowledge is welcome. upload_2017-5-5_16-16-22.jpeg upload_2017-5-5_16-18-46.jpeg upload_2017-5-5_16-24-6.jpeg
    upload_2017-5-5_16-24-6.jpeg

Handfull54 likes this.
  2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I had the same problem with a stamped steel truck bell housing. The "new and improved" version would not fit.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am using this on my 8BA
    upload_2017-5-5_17-2-16.png
    I changed the flywheel to an aluminum one, this starter engages perfect. It bounced a bit across the top of the ring gear at first. I had to removed the starter adapter plate, elongate the mounting holes, dowel it and the bell housing so it wouldn't move back and for ease of install. Other than that, it works great on my blower motor.

4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

The high torque starter fixed it for me too. I'm real curious as to why this so called replacement flat ass won't work and alls they need to do is slightly reduce the diameter of the impact snubber.

5. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

popawolf likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an original starter you can have free for shipping expense.

kadillackid likes this.
  7. The tractor style bendix will fit with a bit of wiggling around, its a superior design, I ran into the same problem but it eventually popped in. They work well, havent broken it yet and its been several years since the swap.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes they DO fit. I too thought they wouldn't. It does need to be angled just right to slide past the flywheel.
    It will go in.
    I installed two in and they work perfectly.

9. alchemy

alchemy

What year pans are you guys having trouble fitting them into? I've seen them in the catalogs, but haven't bought one yet.

keith27T likes this.
  10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Mine was 48 truck motor/pan and bell housing. I tried every angle possible, even grease to see the contact points on the inside of the housing. Gave up and bought a high torqe mini.

11. alchemy

alchemy

A 48 truck used a late model style engine, so that is different than the pre 48 stuff I use. I would think the pre 48 pan would be even worse than a late model.

Petejoe likes this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I installed two into a 40 pan.
    Went in after a little finagling and some cussing.

13. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Great send it to me.I can send you 20.00 or so for shipping? Gene @ 832-514-5668

14. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Flathead starters can be a real problem. I ended up with three starters that were too long. I believe they are for an automatic! The only way to use one would be to cut out the back of the starter pocket!

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes Gene, I ordered an automatic starter by mistake one time. Frustrating.

keith27T likes this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So this brings up a good question. When I was having trouble aligning my mini high torque starter I had to knock the pocket out of my 8BA bell housing leaving an unsightly hole. I destroyed it taking it off, now what do I do?

17. 1rifleman

1rifleman

I see where some have replaced starter to a modern, 12 volt high torque unit. Which starter has a track record of working? If other changes are made to the vehicle, in my case a 52 truck, such as installing GM automatic transmission, I presume that the starter selection would be different as well. Can anyone pass along good info so I can buy the correct parts? Thanks!