Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Rustoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky01, May 5, 2017.

1. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Love that you're saving this one! Can't wait to watch it progress further!

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I thought I was ambitious with my projects. I take my hat off to you to tackling that one. In all my time I've never seen leaf springs rust like that before. Subscribed, will watch that land yacht come together.

3. Thank you. And speaking of land yachts. I think that it's an optical illusion. Check it out parked next to my 57 Belair. Doesn't look so big now does it? It's weird because when the car is by itself it looks like it's 25 feet long and 8 feet wide.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, that is an ambitious project. I've seen rust before, but never a leaf spring stack rotted clear through.
    Nice work so far on the repairs! Glad to see you and Dad are saving it. It'll be a blast to drive around once She's up and running.

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  5. Very sweet, I love old Chryslers. Looks like the condition of a typical older Pennsylvanian car. lol If you could find a classic that doesn't have a hole the size of your fist in it here, you're doing well it seems. lol

Good luck. That'll be a neat ride when it's done.

6. [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

Rust is life in PA. That's why I always get a kick of the guys out west cutting up cars and scrapping them when out here it would be like new to us.

8. My uncle is volunteering his services to take some of the load off of me. Plus he's got about 50 years on me of bodywork experience. So he is doing a re-skin on the door that was crushed.
    I found a near perfect hard top door at a place called Englers in Nuangola pa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    HEMI32 likes this.
  9. Go man go! Inspiring and encouraging. Dig yer butts- everyone around here says 'lap'- hmm, I ain't got a spot welder.
    Mopar sans rear bumper bar = nice looker. Probably need a nerf to protect those gorgeous tailights 'though.

10. Thanks man. the patches are lap joints. For the most part. I lap where I lap and I butt where I butt.

11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

WOW! What a nice job. Are you going to rebuild the engine or look for another one?

12. Thanks, I got a 413 and the trans from a 64 imperial so I wouldn't have to mess with the cast iron auto that's in there now.

[​IMG]

T-roaster and czuch like this.
  13. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

Park that 60 next to a 2015 Charger and it won't look so big either! The new cars are taller, wider, and often longer then the old stuff (well maybe not next to a really big Chrysler...) Gene

15. Squablow

Squablow

Really nice work on this, I would have thought that car was a goner and I'm from Wisconsin, the land of rusty shit. Very good work you're doing, looking forward to seeing more.

16. philo426

philo426

Yeah he is literally rebuilding the frame components and it does not seem to bother him at all.I guess if you are confident in your metal working skills then it is no big deal!

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think we know who to send all the too far gone cars to be repaired,I wish I had the ambition to do something like that.

18. larry4406

larry4406
    from Virginia

I'm diggin this!

19. Got the louvers 3-d printed. $5 each vs $100+ if you can find them.

[​IMG]

20. heck yeah - watching this one

21. Keeping busy.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and tomkelly88 like this.
  22. Man I'm glad I live in the desert.. Very impressive but wow a lot of work.

My great uncle used to drive back and forth from our area, buying rusty but good running cars and then swapping into dry desert cars with bad engines- head east with a clean, non rusty, good engined car, sell, repeat. People were lined up to buy a car a few years old that wasn't rusting out.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. I've been experimenting with a shrinking disc. It makes life real easy. This rear panel was smashed in. So I pushed it back out. And I was able to shrink it all back nearly flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad and Squablow like this.
  24. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  25. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

safetythird, brEad, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  26. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

you are a dedicated man , that car was rough , great save on it, keep up the good work , enjoying the thread

27. Ha to take a break from the chrysler to do the leafs on the merc. Broken just like the Yorker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

These cars definitely fell into the rite guys hands,Not just anyone would have or could have saved them.;)

HEMI32 and BrandonBerkosky01 like this.
  29. Thanks. We have quite the collection I would say. Between my father and I. We just slowly chip away at them. Nothing pebble beach worthy but we drive them and have fun.

Here's my daily. He bought it in the mid 70s. It looks as it did then. But I updated everything. And went fuel injection.

[​IMG]

I drove this car every day during the summer for 5 years then gave it back to my dad when he gave me the 57. It's Another one he bought in the 70s. Never did anything with until I got old enough and showed an interest. 55 with a 56 clip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my girls truck.

[​IMG]

And this is my baby. I'm recreating the 55 Buick my dad daily drove from 75 to 94. When it finally broke in half. Total frame off. Most in depth resto I've ever gotten myself into.
    My car

[​IMG]

His car.

[​IMG]

T-roaster, brEad, chriseakin and 4 others like this.
  30. So I found a thread on here where a guy made a slapper out of an old leaf spring. Well I lost mine. What better time to make one? I used a leaf from the chrysler. So I'll be using parts of the chrysler as a tool to fix the chrysler.
    Thank you MP&C for the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad, kidcampbell71, Hnstray and 3 others like this.