Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Let's see your SLEEPERS

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by venturesomerite, May 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rolls pretty good !! DSCF0925.JPG

2. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Just a pretty old British sports car:

[​IMG]

Until I fire it up:

3. This started out as a 350, went .030 over with Speed Pro flat tops, Scat rods, Lunati 276/268 cam, Dart SHP heads and intake, Lunati roller rockers, Holley 700 DP, small body HEI. Static CR is 9.75:1. Trans is a M20 with the 2.56 1st gear and 3.89 trac lock rear. Car weighs under 3500 and launches hard, I need traction bars.
    221-001.JPG

Deuces, alfin32, Mtn Goat and 3 others like this.
  4. I probably qualify, spend a day on these pins and you'll agree. :)

upspirate likes this.
  5. I dated a woman with a wooden leg, but I got mad at her and broke it off...

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

@Oldmics i REALLY like that. I want to know more!

7. This is a pretty good old hotrod sleeper . . . just looks like a pretty stock 32 Ford . . . but when I start it, the "sleepiness" goes away! LOL No mufflers, loud ass flathead . . . it is about the most fun a guy can have in an old vintage car . . .

IMG_4803.JPG

Deuces, barrnone50, alfin32 and 6 others like this.
  8. glrbird

glrbird

Your Cabby is as bad ass sounding flathead as any I have herd. That is one great car.

9. Thank you sir! Just wait until you see/hear the NEXT thing I'm putting together. :)

10. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Mine is a little new for the Hamb,but here goes..1966 Plymouth Satellite..I had it out at a cruise night a few weeks ago and when I pulled in not one person took a second look. hemi 001.JPG

Until I popped the hood open....
    hemi 008.JPG

426 Hemi,4 speed,3:54 Dana from the factory.

Deuces, Joel W, flatheadpete and 34 others like this.
  11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure if my 56 qualifies as a sleeper.
    ...but I raced it against my own ex 96 BMW M3 ( 321 hp) and also my uncle´s 98 Porsche 911 ( maybe around 300 or so hp) . Both had no chance in acceleration to about 130 mph( about 200 kmh), of course top speed is a different story.

1956-chevrolet-bel-air-2dr-sedan-2495.jpg fotos 027.jpg

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My daily is a 300 hp station wagon....but man is it O/T!

bowlingball and jnaki like this.
  13. That is some awesome shit right there!

59Apachegail and Fordgasser1 like this.
  14. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

beaner, your tits

raven likes this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not mine but looks stock. However it has a 900hp BBC under the hood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Todd553, Deuces, bowlingball and 18 others like this.
  16. IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0122.JPG I guess this doesn't count ?

dan c, Joel W, j-jock and 11 others like this.
  17. What about 'em. :D

FD0MLR2I7VQQ9VG_MEDIUM.gif

Joel W, 62hotcat and mgtstumpy like this.
  18. tinsled

tinsled

A video to hear it and see how it goes, please?

19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

From 45 years ago, my first trip to Bonneville. Phil Stevenson's 55 Chevy -- with a 390 Cadillac with 4 97s and wonderful Jet-A-Way Hydramatic. He drove it there. No Phil's Wagon .jpg great acceleration, but ran 149 on the salt.

20. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Ha! I was dumbfounded when my relatively liberal friend Amy Ryan sent me an email. I wasn't sure I even wanted to open an email from [email protected]. When I asked her about it, somehow she had never noticed that her first initial combined with her last name suggested anything about the purity of her ancestry. She changed her email address in a hurry! It was especially funny since she had no German blood at all: she was Irish. But she certainly had the blonde hair and blue eyes to look the part of an aryan.

loudbang likes this.
  21. 50 panel.jpg

The last true "sleeper" I had... '50 Ford panel with a 394 Olds and early Hydro. It sure surprised a 'Vette driver on the freeway one day. I drove it every day for about 3 years until I finally managed to blow the Olds up. Picture was taken 43 years ago.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  22. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Now that's a sleeper!

OahuEli and warbird1 like this.
  23. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I am right in the middle of building one. Pics are the hulk the day I hauled it home and the day I installed the engine and trans (yesterday). Engine is a 406" FE with 4 speed trans. DSCN1580.JPG 100_0039.JPG

24. Our shop truck in about'70 was a '49 F-1with a 394 and an early hydro. Lots of late'40s early '50sFords got the big olds and a hydro or a 4 speed back then where I was at. it is a natural swap.

Love the panel.

warbird1 and olscrounger like this.
  25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where I grew up (Chowchilla Ca), farmers were buying new 59-60 Ford pickups and immediately putting in new Olds motors and hydros. Did it for pulling cotton and horse trailers. Their kids would get them once in a while and really surprise alot of the faster cars of the time.

charleyw and warbird1 like this.
  26. thunderplex

thunderplex

I owned this '55 Chev wagon from 1976 - 1978 when I lived in Dayton, Ohio. It was sportin' a 327 w/single 4bbl, tuned headers, a bad assed cam and a 4-speed. Prior to this pic the wheels were painted different colors and a wheel may or my not have had a hub cap or wheel cover. It had a cheap paint job with bumpers painted white. But it ran like a scalded dog and was usually the first car to the next red light.

I sold it for $600.00 bucks and thought I had made a fortune. I had about $450.00 bucks in it, ...not counting rear tires. Almost bought a '40 Willys street gasser before I bought the wagon for $900.00. Didn't buy it, ...thought it was overpriced.

[​IMG]

Anybody in Dayton, OH remember this car..??

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  27. ckh

ckh

Did her name happen to be Consuelo?

rpm56 likes this.
  28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I've had a healthy respect for sleepers since I got my ass handed to me by a crusty, rusty, 1963 Dodge Dart wagon in 1974. I was driving a '69 Olds 4-4-2 and laughed when he revved his engine at the light. Young and foolish, I fell for it and he beat me by 4 car lengths. Found out later he was running a hot 340, 4 speed combo and the car was purpose built to beat muscle cars.
    Sometimes people can be fooled by the driver too. My avatar had a .030 over 1970 429, .509 lift, 294 degree duration cam, toploader 4 speed and 9" with 3.73s, fiberglass front clip. Not exactly a sleeper in its own right, it was my daily driver in the mid-late '90s when my wife and I got together. Living in San Diego there was no shortage of sailors with Mustangs, Camaros etc. She often drove the truck while I was out of town for work. Many a time she was on Roscrans Avenue and these guys would come alongside her at a light, see her and start joking and revving their engines. They had noooo idea who they were messing with. She'd rev the 429 and when green lit she was gone, leaving many a sailor getting laughed at by his friends because some chick in an old truck just whipped his ass. She never lost a race either.
    I found out about this years later, when she finally admitted it to me. I asked why she never told me and she said "I thought you'd get mad at me for racing the truck". I said "How could I get mad? You never lost a race!" We still laugh about it to this day.

29. No pictures, but in 1963 I was driving down Sunset Blvd in Hollywood in my new 427 Galaxie. 2 guys pull up next to me at a light in a 62 T-bird that looks stock. Guy makes a wise remark so I decide to show him the short way home. All I saw was his taillights.

tywester1955, loudbang and mgtstumpy like this.
  30. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Here's my "Sleeper". 1948 Plymouth, 355 SBC, TH350, Tru-Trac 8 3/4" rear. Looks completely stock until you get a closer look. Capable of running MUCH faster than I drive it, and I don't thrash on it. A pleasure to drive, and it's gotten a lot of compliments at shows. Post Ocean City May 2015 001.JPG 017.JPG

barrnone50, klicker, OahuEli and 5 others like this.