Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Traditional hot rod paint colors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 28, 2017.

1. I think that you ay be onto something here. I thought for the longest time that "The Fly" was primer. Then I was looking at a picture I snapped of it and saw that it was silver. I actually didn't believe my camera and had to get a closer look the next time we were in the same place.

We painted a '40 Ford a color that was called Ghost Grey (gray?) when I was in high school. it was so pale that it looked white to me unless it was parked near a white car. Of course you have to allow that you are hearing this from a man that gets confused a little bit by some colors. :oops:

2. it is just to my eye maybe and don't get me wrong i like silver, and i have a silver convertible but my "eye" sees the blue top and interior and the silver as a negative space. on the silver corvette posted i see the white concave. the car would look just as good if the concave was any other color........except silver.

3. We did silver cars here for a couple of years. Not all cars look good in silver, for me it just depends on the car.

Seems like Ford had a tan in the '30s that looked good.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. I love all these colors, I really do. But if I'm going to build a car that I get to choose the color, and I've got one shot to make me love it, it will probably not be one of the trad colors like Washington Blue, or others mentioned here.

There was a 32 4-door in a magazine 10 years ago that was calle "Copper Candy". That color was awesome. It was like a orange/copper metallic. I think a Ford Ranger color. There's also a Lexus color that is a metallic baby blue.

I'd probably order a HOK catalog and look in there.

But, at the end of the day, do whatever floats yer boat, like painting a 35 pickup brown...... ;)

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0301sr-1932-four-door-sedan/#0301sr_kandy01zoom

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    AHotRod likes this.
  5. Squablow

Squablow

Silver and grey scare me, because if it's not just right, it looks like primer. There's a recently painted roadster around in a very light bright silver and to me it looks like they wanted it to be bare metal.

It can be done, but silver and grey are trickier than many other colors.

And I personally don't care for modern urethane base/clear paint on a period build.

Lacquer and enamel have a look that can't be recreated. Enamel is my personal preference on old cars.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, AHotRod, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  6. I am with you 100% on lacquer and enamel. I like lacquer because it is forgiving, but enamel is easy enough if you just get a little practice before hitting it on the real project. They just look right.

120mm likes this.
  7. Almost any color was used. In the sixties, we would just look at the color charts of the regular car manufacturers. ... and choose one. Not many folks could afford custom colors.

Red, black, and maroon were all popular. There was a Chrysler Midnight Blue metallic that was one of my favorites.
    Mine, Midnight Blue, painted in 1963
    [​IMG]

brad2v, AHotRod, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  8. b-bob

b-bob

Chicle Drab Stock 1928 colour. Not my favourite, but it suited the car at the time. 14249729_10206723266909331_2537478802863880317_o.jpg

brad2v, AHotRod and mgtstumpy like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

The Produce Truck was painted in my head long before the project started. I remember the looks I would get when I would mention, Dark suede brown, Tan and orange.

Dan Hay likes this.
  10. From Rik Hovings site:
    CCC-barris-color-chip-00.jpg

brad2v and AHotRod like this.
  11. You were right. It looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. When I was a pup.....
    my recollection is that the majority of rods and customs spent more of their life in black primer than they did in mega-thousand dollar paint jobs.

AHotRod likes this.
  13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure that you can buy a red Toyota .[/QUOTE]
    Yes, you can buy a red Toyota. However, this guy with the A RPU has the credentials to sustain his choice. Obviously, his ride has been the same color since it appeared on the cover of that mag. I decided to go out on a limb and squirt my Deuce roadster Victory Red. Just on a whim! ! !

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This '34 just screams this is the right color for it.................subtely. Couldn't be any better.

CGkidd and 1956 F100 like this.
  15. fordflambe

fordflambe

Beyond color, the cars of the era did not seem to have the "high sheen" produced by the new clear coat paints. While you can cut and buff a single stage and make it shiny, to me, it just has a different "glow" than the newer two stage paints.............

AHotRod likes this.
  16. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Most of the original cars had a nitrocellulose lacquer on them, I believe.

Just Gary likes this.
  18. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Color choice is something that changes for me just about every week so I decided to just go with Henry's favorite, always in vogue...BLACK.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

My cars are never nice enough to be black.

AHotRod likes this.
  20. I think this sums it up. Unless you use Joe Boccuzzi's Green!:cool:

Joe Boccuzzi's 49 back in the day Dark Green (Joe Boccuzzi's Green) RIP JOE!
    Joe Boccuzzi.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    edcodesign and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. bondolero

bondolero

Black with apple green pinstripe.

ct1932ford likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shamus, you got a color code to go with that perfect maroon?

23. 2935ford

2935ford

I don't do paint. My money goes into the conversion of a stocker to a Hot Rod with go fast parts
    I try to find them with already "good enough" paint on them.
    So far, Henry Ford green seems to be my color!
    Isn't that traditional? :)

rhtfo likes this.
  24. "Traditional" is a synonym for "non-metallic".

BigO, H380 and i.rant like this.
  25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

That's correct for me also. In the sixties you would remove the door handles and prime and then drive. Then you'd take off all the chrome do dads and just prime the spots, then drive. Do some repairs, prime and drive.
    The key for us old guys was just drive, primer was to show it was a work in progress (and we couldn't afford a paint job, unless it was Earl the Pearl):rolleyes::)

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Though I am partial to blue, I recently read a blog by Pat Ganahl where he wrote:
    "hot rods are supposed to be red, yellow, orange, or black with flames (yellow/orange/red flames, of course). Straight glossy black was good in certain cases: 3-window coupes, ’32-’40 sedans, and anything built by Bobby Alloway.... As exemplified by Alloway, Gray would probably allow that the right bigs-and-littles wheel/tire combination in concert with a killer stance might override some other color choice–or even lack of color–but ultimately hat rads (again, Gray’s term) should be bright, shiny, loud and fast."

Just Gary and brad2v like this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

One day I was at the local AAA office meeting with my insurance agent, when I came out there was an older guy checking out my pickup. He said to me "we was always going to paint them next week". I guess I looked like I didn't understand him, and he explained himself. "Next week, we were always going to paint them next week when we got paid. But next week would come around and the money would go somewhere else, so it was NEXT week. And we just ended up driving them around in primer".

Sky Six and brad2v like this.
  28. No. IMO.

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

one of the most popular colors according to the cars featured in magazines back in the day was 1956 Buick Titian red. It was kind of a maroon color. I guess that since the heavy metals were taken out of paint that the color can't be formulated in modern paints... what kind of a car is it that you are going to paint? I would get out my magazines from 1955 thru 1965 and look to see what was used. then I would build a model car of the car you are building and paint it what ever color you decide on. Double benefit here, building models is fun and in the end you have a model of your car. here is a 1959 buick color chart. lots of soft metallic colors, I had a 59 Impala painted lido lavender, good looking car... please dont paint your car silver or gray, those are no colors for hot rods...[​IMG]

-Brent-, tb33anda3rd and brad2v like this.
  30. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

My avatar was painted in 1956 and the color is 1956 Chrysler Mediterranean blue. To me about as traditional as you can get.