Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Traditional hot rod paint colors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 28, 2017.

1. GeeRam

GeeRam

I took this photo of this 'flat' silver W block powered '32 5w at CHRR back in Oct 2007.

[​IMG]

edcodesign and deuceman32 like this.
  2. I always thought red worked OK on a hot rod. I guess I don't understand putting in all the time, money and creative effort it takes to build a hot rod, and then painting it the same color as your neighbors Toyota? Isn't a hot rod supposed to stand out, not blend in?

[​IMG]

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My C-dan is Painted 1937 Indian Motorcycle Navajo Blue although its not a car color it is a vintage color. IMG_1173.JPG

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like a color that stands out. I don't care too much for the pale looking pastels you see on so many 50's cars, although if they are part of a two tone with another, brighter color they can work well, like red and white or red and ivory. Black is great for most cars, but the shade of black can make or break it. Flat black says you care more about performance than looks, gloss black says you like perfection.
    My three least favorite colors are white, silver, and green. I'd rather have something turd brown than any of those three colors.

AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Pastels? We don't need any stinking pastels. They are obsolete along with tweed interiors and nineties graphics.

Gary

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    AHotRod, chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  6. Blaise the Barbarian

Blaise the Barbarian
    from Colgate UK

1948 Fordson and as near as poss to original colour IMG_1821.JPG

BigO, AHotRod, UK Slingshot and 3 others like this.
  7. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

[QUOTE="BamaMav, post:
    My three least favorite colors are white, silver, and green. I'd rather have something turd brown than any of those three colors.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's why there are so many colors out there. I have 2 silver cars, 2 white ones and a turd brown one. Every car has a color that looks right on it. Not all colors fit all cars.

tiredford and AHotRod like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I guess that's why there are so many colors out there. I have 2 silver cars, 2 white ones and a turd brown one. Every car has a color that looks right on it. Not all colors fit all cars.[/QUOTE]

Well said! If we all agreed on color and everything else, we'd all be driving white Ladas!

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

As you can see every one has an opinion and a favorite . It will always be a personal choice. I like my cars dark and sinister. But sometimes red, orange, or yellow just looks right on something I am building. Many of the older colors are not even mixable now because the toners no longer exist . the color that the paint companies have crossed over are computer generated closest possible match's and if you could compare them to an actual original paint job you would see they do not really match well at all. You sound like you have a warm fussy spot for silver, because your Dad like it. That is the color I would go for and there are countless shades to choose from. It is your car, follow your heart and not what others would do. Otherwise you are building their car and not yours. Good luck and have fun!!! Larry

AHotRod, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  12. 46stude

46stude

Don't rule out tractor colors from the era you're going with.

AHotRod and flatheadpete like this.
  13. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think he said it was maroon ;) :D

56shoebox likes this.
  15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    I'm pretty sure that you can buy a red Toyota .

Roothawg likes this.
  16. A '61 Corvette Roman Red Toyota??

AHotRod and Chili Phil like this.
  17. Try not to second guess yourself-I went down that road during the build but in the end I went with my first instinct and am happy I did- when in doubt- Trust Your Gut!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AHotRod and Roothawg like this.
  18. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

19. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Jmo, I paint my cars what ever I like at the time I don't go along with the period correct law, I'd rather be an outlaw or rebel when it comes to wheels, motors and color BC back in the day I'm 60 they used a lot of big flake and I still Lov it, hotrod harry

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

AHotRod likes this.
  20. 30-S6

30-S6

The car I have is Hawthorn green. 1930 Hudson colour (British racing green is similar).
    If I decide to paint the outside it will be the colour I used for the dash and motor, "Sinner G" green (Gm colour).

DSCI0180.JPG

Tones of silvers out there... light charcoal, gunmetal or stainless steel are ones I personally would shoot for. Kinda like the 2017 kia in the background.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    BigO, AHotRod and fms427 like this.
  21. corvette1959WA2659.jpg Inca Silver, with Snow Crest White coves, 1958 Corvette

AHotRod, scotty t, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

silver 56 300 sl.jpg
    56 Mercedes silver, Pretty much timeless.
    I'd say that unless a guy had access to a custom painter most of the guys in the 40's, 50's and 60's did just as Dean Lowe did on his RP and bought the new in that time frame hot lick color that was on the newer cars in the showroom or on the lot outside the dealer. That is what the "older guys" I knew did in that time frame. There some nice silvers on mid 50's Mercedes 300 SL and the similar Porsche models of those years.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

23. I guess that's why there are so many colors out there. I have 2 silver cars, 2 white ones and a turd brown one. Every car has a color that looks right on it. Not all colors fit all cars.[/QUOTE]

According to paint ref.com its somethings like 229,000 different formulas. That's a lot of colors.

My dad would never allow any silver or light grey cars in the family. His reasoning was that they blend in with the road too well, they all but disappeared and people,,, after they hit you will swear they that didn't see you.

Roothawg likes this.
  24. Back to 229,000 different colors-
    I guess it's bit more because I custom made and then named this one "Rasberry Tourmaline" for my buddies wife's bike.

With the black fade it would be BITCHEN on a hot rod !

image.jpg

image.jpeg
    image.jpg

clem and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. Agreed - when I asked the original builder of my car what color the silver was, he laughed and said "ohh hell, it was just a silver I liked on some of the newer cars I seen - thought it would look good on the hot rod, I cant remember what the actual color was"

AHotRod and Roothawg like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Don't worry, I will do what makes me happy. I just like to hear feedback. I am still undecided but I have plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AHotRod and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  27. PPG Washinton Blue and Tan IMG_0530.JPG

28. GeeRam

GeeRam

Exactly why I've been trawling through late 50's/very early 60's US manufacturer colour charts and Google photos to find a suitable period factory colour for my '32.

Just Gary likes this.
  29. The next time I see a surf green '57 Chevy, I'm gonna puke.
    None of the Easter egg colors do it for me. Apologies to the Hirohita Merc.

AHotRod likes this.
  30. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Some of what appear to be "traditional " period colors Ive run across have been truck fleet colors. Check em out.

AHotRod likes this.