Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I.d. this step van?....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RickyB, May 1, 2017.

1. RickyB

RickyB
    from So Cal1956

image.jpg Hey Folks, quick tourist question for y'all......this is Red Truck, the surf van that my family and I spent almost every weekend at San O'nofre, starting back right after I was born in late '56. I vaguely recall my Dad once told me that it was a Studebaker that he bought before I was around----but then again, since I was only about seven years old back then, there's more than a slim chance that I'm wrong. I do recall two things about this old girl though.....the front grill and windows all followed the same flat plane upwards from the front grills, before hitting the front edge of the roof which curved rearwards.....and that we had a lift up 'taco truck' style door------but on the driver's side instead. The sink and ice bix were on that side, and the three burner cast iron stove top w/white ceramic handle was on the right side. It had two pedestal seats and a third 'seat/shelf' thingy up against the the passenger side windshield that I used to sit on during the three mile dirt road back to the highway. I also recall it being a three speed stick and had a gutless engine in her. My sister could also sit on the engine hood. I'm thinking she was no more than twenty two feet long, with dually rears. The two rear full height doors were 'barn doors' that had the spring loaded exterior latches top and bottom to keep them secure.

Anyways I haven't seen this truck since my dad sold it back in '69 or so....and sadly this is the only picture that I've found of her. Any clue on what it actually was? 'Cuz for the life of me I couldn't find a front end remotely like this after scouring thru hundreds of Google images......

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wasn't that a Willys?

3. RickyB

RickyB
    from So Cal1956

Doubt it, my research indicates that Willys made nothing that resembles that front end. But since I also looked at old Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet, Studebaker and Plymouth photos......none of those manufacturers have any thing similar as well.

Hmmmmm....

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. The International is the closest , possibly they changed the grill:

chevrolet_dubl-duti_step-van_by_grumman_olson_2.jpg gruman.jpg IHC48metroVan4.jpg

6. i think i would like to see a photo of her.
    i was going to guess metro also.

Hnstray and RickyB like this.
  7. 1941_D15M_17.jpg

'41 International Harvester is as close as I can find.HRP

Bubba1955 likes this.
  8. HRP I think you got it.
    Good job!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. The headlights look close. HRP

10. It has Studebaker M or R series headlight rings.

11. It appears as though there is a cover of some sort,the arrows point at what I think may be snaps but it's all guessing on my part. HRP

[​IMG]

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

story sounds a little fishy to me

RickyB likes this.
  13. RickyB

RickyB
    from So Cal1956

Can you i.d. the fish I'm holding?.....

14. oldolds

oldolds

There were many small body makers back then. It could have been a Studebaker chassis with an independent body makers body on it.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. RickyB

RickyB
    from So Cal1956

Ding.......

16. Clik

Clik

Looks like a Boyertown to me.

17. Clik

Clik

18. Clik

Clik