Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Do you have a vintage gas pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 26, 2017.

1. I don't got a pump but I got an *Oklahoma Credit Card that's pretty vintage.

[​IMG]

*no offense intended.

2. Your not foolin' me Beeno,that's just a piece of garden hose,I'll bet ethanol will eat it up! :cool: HRP

chryslerfan55 and ladyhrp like this.
  3. metalman

metalman

20 some odd years ago I was really into old pumps and gas station stuff in general, you could still pick the stuff up fairly easy and cheap. I'd take a day road trip around these little towns here in NM, usually could find the old pumps sitting behind the old stations, they would set them there after upgrading to more "modern"pumps. Same with signs. The owners would look at you funny when you would ask if the pumps were for sale wondering why I would want them! Maybe have to give $50 for them, sometime they just gave them to me. Had a flatbed one ton at the time, more then once I'd get home overloaded with pumps and signs. I'd bring them home, restore them and found they were easy to sale and make a few bucks. Those days are long gone, all the little gas stations are now abandoned, replaced with a new "convenience" stores if the town has a station at all. Not to mention not sure my old back could take loading complete pumps into my truck anymore!
    Sold my last pump 10 years or so. Curiously, I go to a lot of big auctions (B-J, Mecum) where they always sell memorabilia before the cars, they sell restored pumps for about the same price I'd sell mine for 20 years ago. Guess they are not as collectible these days.
    Never was into the visables much. We did have one on the farm, been there forever. Kept thinking I'd take it and restore it some day but one day I drove out there and it was gone. Asked my dad, he said some guy had stopped and asked if he could have it so he gave it to him. Dad said he didn't understand why they guy wanted it, it didn't work!
    Guess I should of said something to dad before but never thought about it (dad was somewhat a horder, never threw or gave anything away), he was shocked when I told him what a visable even unrestored was worth!

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. level2526

level2526

5. wutnxt

wutnxt

I couldn't afford one so I bought a couple of repop signs and made one out of plywood.
    20170427_083058.jpeg

6. I have a Waynes 10 gallon visible pump with Red Crown gas this is in my entry way of my home

Attached Files:

7. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Our "pre-visible" pump. It's a Gilbert & Barker from about 1926. It has a reproduction Texaco globe now, but to the right is the globe that came with it. The small oil company from PA is out of business now. Standing about 9-ft tall, it wouldn't fit in the living room- much to my wife's delight.

Attached Files:

• G&B.jpg
      G&B.jpg
      File size:
      175 KB
      Views:
  8. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Not exactly what you expect to see in a foyer that pump is like a piece of art and a thing of beauty. HRP

[​IMG]

10. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Here's a 1940's Bennett I recently traded a sign for. Not the prettiest and not sure if I will try to get it all shiny or not. Plan on making it a shelving unit for inside the garage. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's one made by Wyandotte toy company. very rare and about $400.00 on up when you find one.
    [​IMG]

12. This is a old photo of a trophy I received several years ago,looks a lot like the real thing..the gray blob on the right is a late model that has noting to do with the post. HRP

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and ladyhrp like this.
  13. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

14. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Now that's a cool! Might have to do that myself cause I know I can't afford one.

15. wutnxt

wutnxt

Thanks. It's getting kind of old now but still find it strangely satisfying of my need for one.

ladyhrp, Merlin and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Spooky

Spooky

GREAT pumps guys! I love them. Always have. I have two project pumps, a Martin and Schwartz sitting next to the garage and a refurbished Boswer finished in Signal colours up for sale right now.

Attached Files:

17. You did do a good job with the one dimensional design and I would bet if you made another one that emulated a complete multiple dimensional pump no one could tell the difference from 20 foot away. HRP

ladyhrp and Merlin like this.
  18. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Have a pair of late 30's/early 40's Gilbarcos. Done up in ESSO and ESSO Extra colours. See my avatar

19. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Nice to see ESSO, mine are actually ENCO, which Humble Oil Co. used in the Midwest, it was short for ENergy COpany.
    Being that ENCO was an obscure brand I had to have all the signage custom made. One of my first jobs was working at an ENCO service station, back when they pumped your gas, checked the oil, and cleaned the windshield.
    The light pole I fabricated using a vintage fluted pole and some old porcelain fixtures.
    IMG_3264.JPG

20. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Back in the late 80's, I worked at a full service station in Oregon. Pumped gas "which all the stations in Oregon still do". Washed windshield, checked tires, belts, hoses, and fluids. We were a mechanic shop as well. Checking everything is how we drummed up business for the guys in the shop. Which I later became one of.
    It was the last full service station in the area and that was one thing that drew customers into our station versus others.
    Those were some good old days. Most of us that worked there drove muscle cars, 50's and 60's mild customs.
    Which just added to the old school theme of the place.
    Made life long like minded friendships as a kid into cars back then.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

A gas pump was something I've always wanted but would wind up spending the money on the cars instead.

greaser, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

100_2397.jpg 100_9793.jpg
    I got this Wayne Model 70 from Kustom777 when he moved to Texas. Had it restored to look like it came from my Great Uncle's Chevy Dealership/Sunoco Station which he ran from the 1920s until 1962.

23. I'm afraid the days of finding and buying a old viable gas pump for a hundred bucks is nothing more than a pipe dream in the world we live in today but I still see the smaller electric Bennett & Wayne pumps from time to time but they are not cheap. HRP

ladyhrp and Spooky like this.
  24. paint-boy

paint-boy
    from Hector, MN

I restored these for a couple customers recently.

IMG_2891.JPG IMG_2713.JPG IMG_2716.JPG

25. Here's my collection of another severe addiction I have besides Deuces........
    I love gas pumps, Coke machines, Air Meters, signs and old speed parts........all this stuff!
    [​IMG]
    This is one end of the Deuce Cave that's under my house.
    [​IMG]
    My pumps from left to right, with a fluted island light with water and air in there too,
    a Wayne 60, two Tokheim 36B's, with a Bennett 541 and a Wayne 100 waiting for paint.
    [​IMG]
    My Pegasus, Coke machines and cooler, shop rag can and Air Meter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love old thermometers and signs
    and grill shells and oil cans..........
    [​IMG]
    The 1965 Erie Gulf pump in my office.
    [​IMG]
    This is my Bennett 646 with beautiful patina
    that sits in front of my shop which I wired up
    to light up at night. My uncle helped me buy
    it from a farm near his by Howard, South Dakota
    over 30 years ago for $75.00

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  26. This is not a vintage pump ,but I thought this was a clever idea . Guy made his own pump out of a pressure tank...and the rest ordered from resto suppliers.!!!
    Found this on another forum...

before  after.jpg

27. That's pretty clever. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

this was from this past winter IMG_1388.JPG IMG_0429.JPG