Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vintage gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 28, 2017.

1. I did a search and found a lot of vintage gauges in the classifieds but not too much of what is being used in Hamb members hot rods and customs.

How about showing everyone the cool old gauges you are using. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

I've posted these before, but here's the dash in my sedan:

BsDash2.jpg

BsSpeedo2.jpg

BsTach2.jpg

The speedo is from 1939 (it was NOS when I installed it), the tach is similar year, and the smaller gauges are from the 40's. The nameplates on the switches are from a 40's era boat dashboard.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

alchemy, I've always liked the look of those old police speedometers. Looks great on your car.

Gary

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Buz

Buz

Cannon 192.JPG My 32 5 window. I found a hacked up dash and filled it in. I made the stainless panel and did the engine turning on my drill press. The speedo and tach are a little newer than the others. I guess late 40's or early 50's.

5. 4woody

4woody

Cool in 1938.
    Still cool now.
    [​IMG]

6. IMG_1128.JPG IMG_1157.JPG

I'm trying to complete a set of Niehoff gauges for the current project. They were made by Stewart Warner, and sold as the house brand at Napa stores. If anyone has any they want to turn loose of, let me know.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Sun Top Tach.jpg I also love old gauges and for me the decals bring back great old memories.
    Here are just a few of the ones I have.
    Jimbo

Sun instruments old style blu red.jpg Sun Instruments with tach.jpg Sun Instruments.jpg Sun Tach.jpg

Sun Tach.jpg Stewart Warner.jpg Steward Warner Sold Here.jpg Dixco Tachs.jpg

nunattax, mgtstumpy, Old-Soul and 3 others like this.
  8. I've been saving these 56 Desoto gauges for a future build.

1956 DeSoto Adventurer 2 Door Hardtop 3.jpg

9. IMG_1446.JPG

Alright @Jimbo17 , this should be right up your alley. Found it in the box with the Niehoff amp gauge. Window decal in mint condition. Can't find this image anywhere on the internet. Ever seen it?

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

If anyone is interested I just saw one of those way cool police speedometers like alchemy has on eBay for $450.00.

Gary

11. Ouch,these things are getting pricey,Back in the 70's when I was a Panhead nut I had one on my bike and had a extra I picked up at a swap meet and vividly remember paying 25 bucks for it. :rolleyes: HRP

VANDENPLAS and ladyhrp like this.
  12. Yep and a loaf of bread was 25 cents also Danny. Tee Hee

mgtstumpy, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. A side note...Brenda had some major surgery about 10 years ago and I had to do the grocery shopping,I had not been to the grocery store in at least 30 years,I almost had a heart attack when I saw what a loaf of bread cost,,I suppose everything is relative and the old outta sight/outta mind comes into play but I was shocked. HRP

ladyhrp and ls1yj like this.
  14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have a thing for Sun gauges and shop equipment. It seems a lot of guys prefer Stewart Warner and I like those too but for some reason I just like Sun better. I have never had a problem with mine even though I have read posts from others thinking they are troublesome.

15. Johnny99

Johnny99

Cop speedo not just for cop bikes!

cop speedo 2.png cop speedo 1.jpg

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Just picked up this tach for my '32, it will match my Waltham speedometer. s-l1600.jpg

V8-m, nunattax, VANDENPLAS and 9 others like this.
  17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Some cool stuff coming out of the closets.

18. Here are three 5" gauges that I am going to use in my '29 rpu on Deuce rails. I bought the speedometer and the 4-in-1 from a HAMB member. The speedometer will become a 140 mph unit with a new script Stewart Warner lettering face and the 4-in-1 will remain as-is. The tachometer will get the guts from a smaller SW cable drive 7000 rpm tachometer and a new face to match the speedometer. The tachometer (sheet counter) supposedly came from the US Mint in DC...I like to think it counted $1000 bills and became obsolete when that bill was discontinued. I always wanted to have a small wad of $1000 bills but it became obsolete before I ever had a $1000 in cash money all at onc3e.

IMG_6604.JPG

ladyhrp likes this.
  19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Putting this ol thing in my 39:
    [​IMG]

20. You bet,I am salivating over some of the gauges being posted. :) HRP

VANDENPLAS and ladyhrp like this.
  21. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Sun "Football" Tach.

[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS, Old-Soul, tinsled and 2 others like this.
  22. I hope to use these in my 32 5-window build if they will look good in the stock 32 gauge pod opening. The speedo is 4", the split gauges are 3" in diameter and I am not sure if the repop gauge pod should remain as-is or perhaps be painted. We will see ....
    IMG_20170423_151654433.jpg

Bought them off the HAMB .... check my build thread for updates ...

23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Those 33-34 chevy?

nunattax, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The 31 has an NOS set of early Sun's in the dash. Reminds me I have a few boxes of NOS to post up.......

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

26. Marcus - I haven't tested the tachometer yet. It has what appears to be a normal cable drive on the back. My conversion to use the guts of a smaller 7000 rpm unit would not preclude use of the sheet counter face.Right now things are in the planning stage although I have bought a smooth bezel and domed glass for the tachometer unit. Need to get with the fellow who will do the two faces for me and get those in hand....then get steely nerved up to take them apart and back together.

All things are possible.

27. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

33 Plymouth gauge panel going in my 28 dodge 3 window gauges.jpg

28. What a great looking gauge panel!

29. Those look great Tom. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  30. Thanks, Danny!

ladyhrp likes this.