Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Eastwood tig welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cabriolethiboy, Apr 28, 2017.

1. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

upload_2017-4-28_11-38-59.png

Does anyone have any experience with this welder? I have a Miller Dialarc HF 250 that I hardly use because it is too big and too hard to get out. I am thinking about selling the Miller and replacing it with this. Will I be happy with it? I would mainly use it for body panels small chassis parts. Maybe some on the frame. If I like it well enough I may use it on the frame more. What do think? upload_2017-4-28_11-38-59.png

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH IT.

I learned on Miller and bought one of these for myself and never really found that I could get it dialed in or control the heat like I could with a Miller. Mine is sitting in the back of my shop now after I gave up and just bought a Hobart Handler MIG to do most of my welding with.

3. badvolvo

badvolvo

I have had one of their mig welders for about 5 years. The welder has served me very well, but I had to replace the gun with a higher quality one (from my older hobart it replaced) as the switch was not very reliable.
    For a cheap welder is has been very good, But i also have a larger Miller Mig and a Miller Tig. Both far superior, but I use the little eastwood more than i do the big ones, it's small and handy and it was cheap. There is some truth to the old saying
    "you get what you pay for".

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I never used the switch but I probably should have. The pedal control was my major complaint.

5. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

Ive had mine for 3 years, accidentally broke the torch cable(my own fault) and they sent me a new one free. Easy to dial in DC and AC settings, welds 1/4 plate all day. It isnt as fancy as the miller I use at work, but works great for car and bike projects at home.

6. williebill

williebill

Maybe it's just me, and I know I'm a little slow, but I find it ironic to see a sig line against Mexican Optima batteries based only on where they're made, directly under a testimonial about this Eastwood welder. Where is this welder made?

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

When I retired I needed a TIG machine. All the machines in the shop that I worked at were Miller welders ranging from 220s to 350s, so I purchased the Eastwood TIG 200. Don't expect the same finite control that you get with the Miller foot pedal. The Eastwood foot control is adequate at best. For the money it's just OK.

patmanta likes this.
  8. Hot Rod Grampa

Hot Rod Grampa

Be sure the unit can be serviced, no matter brand name. No repair parts means no welding. See if anyone is near you that you can try it out. What feels good for me may not be comfortable to you. I spent a half hour welding with the unit I bought before I paid for it. PO helped with basic set ups when switching from alum to steel even welded some cast iron. No regrets. Good luck.

9. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Bought a Miller Econotig in the 80's. Love it.....had a Miller 130 mig but I use the TIG for everyting including stick welding. Great hobby machine....I don't think they make that model anymore. But if you can pick one up it's worth it.

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  10. donsz

donsz

My Eastwood works great for my needs (home/garage hobbyist - not commercial). I did have a problem with the first one they sent me, but they replaced it promptly, no fuss. I'm not an expert welder, but as I said it works great for my purposes.
    don

11. I have the Tig200. I dig it, but I'm I'm just a hobbyist as well. I definitely can tell the difference between it and the Miller I used in welding class. I think anyone who is used to a Miller might not be so happy with it.