Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Fred.I have used many things to bend brake lines in the past.Such as sockets,pieces of pipe,hammer handles and Lord knows what else.Just take your time,and it usually works out OK.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang, 26 T Ford RPU and AndersF like this.
  2. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I'm pretty sure you gave me credit a couple pages back. Either way, the lines I sent you have literally been coiled up on a hook for the past 2 years, so I won't miss them, and I'm glad they went to immediate use! Keep kicking ass!

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The fittings to complete my brakes should be here Saturday. I'll be eating Ramon noodles next week!:)

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  4. Fred are you using copper break lines????

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup! And it's a miracle to work with.

6. This is dangerous as the copper will swell and split under the pressure. Pleases check out articles about this online.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No you aren't using copper Fred.
    Nicopp or as it's more properly called Cunifer is what it is. (See below).

I guess copper brake lines could break and would be dangerous :D

But since it's not copper it's not dangerous and there's no need to check anything out.
    Cunifer brake line tubing CU (copper)-NI (nickel)- FE (ferrous) alloy is superior to most other types of tubing for brake systems and other things like fuel lines.

Good choice Fred :cool:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My mistake. I mis-read the question.:oops:

9. The main issue with straight copper is that it work hardens with vibration and becomes brittle. JW

loudbang likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's good to get information out there anyway Fred. :)

loudbang likes this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay, the tracking info for my fittings say Monday.:mad: It's gonna be a loooong weekend.

12. AndersF

AndersF

Its funny.
    I have been around cars for allmost 40 years now and have never had a copperline failure.
    But i have replaced alot of steel lines becouse they got rusted up in just a few years of use.

13. Been illegal to use copper for brake lines here since the mid 70's. JW

loudbang and whiplash1923T like this.
  14. Finishing up the chassis rebuild on my RPU and I too have been making new brake lines, just need to find some metal P clips to mount the lines and its done.JW
    [​IMG]

15. You're building a left-hand driver?

16. No, I am ''rebuilding'' a left hand drive imported about ten years back. JW

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I never thought about using copper brake lines. I didn't know anybody did. It scares me. I guess their are different grades of copper. I was really afraid of using copper on fuel line until I read Tardel used it exclusively.

Gary

18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Yup, copper brake lines work for a little while - 'till they don't; = suicide wish.
    Copper lines for oil will ok, but chemical reaction(s) = sludge.
    Copper fuel lines will also work, but eventually copper, even the soft line after being looped, work hardens, = cracks; = fire.
    When all this can/will happen, damn if I can predict.
    I like the look, won't use it in any critical location/function on a car/truck. Not worth it to me. YMMV.
    A/C, steam, hot water, maybe. :D .
    Ni-Cop is whole 'nuther deal n story.
    Marcus...

loudbang likes this.
  19. Hell Jeremy , where is do the spiders that cobwebs live in your garage as your walls are to darn clean man ? How is your hand now, healed enough to be back into the Roadster ?

20. Greetings Marc and hope all is good your end of the Island. My hand is at around 80% now and has really put me behind on the rebuild. The spiders live in the top and around the windows. Hows your rebuild going?? :) JW

whiplash1923T and loudbang like this.
  21. I have actually been on a break away from caring for Mum and haven't been home for the last 4 months plus as my brother moved in and he is taken over so I'm a wee bit lost at the moment with paying mortgage on home plus $150.00 per week where I'm living at the moment is leaving me broke. Shit happens to the best families I believe but I certainly didn't expect crap from mine.
    Now, back to the scheduled normal programme.

22. Hope it picks up soon Marc, all the best Bud. JW

loudbang and whiplash1923T like this.
  23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

First I love your Willy Nelson Quote.
    We all go through Family stuff. So sorry. When at the bottom their is only one way UP.
    Good luck Gary

whiplash1923T likes this.
  24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

25. Somebody here said good things about them. One of the Gasser guys I believe.

loudbang likes this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Tman. I'll keep asking around before I consider them.

Woo Hoo! My parts came. I'll complete running the lines tonight. I like working at night. I'll put on some tunes and chill. So, what I got was a brass "T" fitting to tie the front calipers and a rubber flex line with a "V" shaped fitting to run hard lines to the rear drums. Next up will be new wheel cylinders just to play it safe. After inspecting the rear drum springs, levers, etc., they look to be in good shape. The hardware kit is only $6, so if I get bored, I may just change everything out for the fun of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang, t-rod and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

My roadster hasn't got soul? Next thing your gonna tell me professional wrestling isn't real. Tell me she don't have soul. She is sucking it out of my roadster or putting it in. Who cares?
    Ivo likes working at night too.
    Keep om trucking Fred!
    Your friend Gary

IMG_0719.jpg

28. Gary, all my cars have soul. The longer you own them the more they get.:) JW

loudbang likes this.
  29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Whew.... finished. Well, except for the lines coming off the rear "T" fitting. When I prepped and painted the rear end, I didn't tape off the holes for fittings on the wheel cylinder.:oops: So, they're plugged with grinding dust and paint.:mad: I'll do the lines when I replace the wheel cylinders.
    One thing I also did was run the front line under the motor mount. It made for a cleaner look. Pics, when I get some better lighting.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    loudbang, AndersF and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  30. Moving forward......I like that.:cool::) JW

loudbang likes this.