Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Anti-nowhere coupe. Banger to Av8 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tulfabrication, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Elrod

Elrod

Looking good. The motor mounts came out really nice.

I think you are ok now on your caster. If it does become a problem, you can take your car to a place that does alignment on trucks, busses, big vehicles. They still use big I-beam axles. They bend your axle to the correct caster.

I think 7-8 is going to drive smooth as butter though.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. Awesome! Good to hear. And thanks for the compliment man, such a great idea on your behalf for the motor mounts

3. jeepers00creepers

jeepers00creepers

Looking good! My suggestion on brake flaring..... Invest in Eastwood's fancy shmancy flaring tool. Expensive but ooooooohhhhh so worth it!!!!!

Lilred36 likes this.
  4. Thanks man. Bought the rigid tool and it worked great. Brakes seem to be holding fine now.

Plans this weekend are to get into my donor trans and see what is needed.

Look for pics soon. Come hell or high water I am driving this thing this summer

5. So while things have been slow, I'm hoping that they will pick up again. This weekend I took apart my donor trans that had a really nice 29 tooth gearset in it.

Also ordered parts from Van Pelts and dropped my clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel to get refurbished.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491419482.080236.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491419500.191029.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491419516.660671.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491419535.032766.jpg

kiwijeff, benchseat4speed and Texas36 like this.
  6. kiwi1967

kiwi1967

Wow man your killing it! , looks great ,I'm close to starting on my 31 too ,

carbed87 likes this.
  7. Sweet, so I got my trans all put together. Already got my clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel redone. Just have to finish the shifter and then put all of it back together.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491878412.399485.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491878422.690294.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491878431.439100.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1491878480.692576.jpg

benchseat4speed likes this.
  8. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Mikey!! This is a cool build you have going, I like the flathead/3-speed combo. Very early 50's. I gotta catch a ride in it when it's done. Good seeing ya over at arvada the other day. Later! Kevin

You are a damn good welder/fabricator btw!

9. Thanks Kev! Trying to get it done in time for the (permanent) good weather

10. christmas tree

christmas tree

Very nice job , however you need to change your engineering for the rear brake lines . To exposed going under the axle.

11. I am sure those are not copper lines for the brakes? Looks like they might be in the picture but they could be mock up or plated lines. Also need to be sure they are designed to be used in a brake system, not just the right diameter.

Charlie Stephens

12. Thank you Charlie and Christmas (that sounds like it would be a good tv sitcom) the brake likes are indeed meant for brakes. Design of them are not changing either since I have seen numerous other cars like this but I appreciate the input.

13. Looks like someone cut the coils in my shifter detent to give it that "in the weeds" look. Too bad they are getting replaced.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1492308530.616103.jpg

14. I also got my shift rods polished up for smooth operation.

Spoiler alert: while those forks may look like the right units, they actually partially over-engage the sync hub while in third gear. Checked everything with a friends shift top and all was well. Looks like that 39 trans with zephyr gears I paid for was only good for its case :-/

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1492308633.544355.jpg

hendelec likes this.
  15. Was hoping to have the motor in this weekend. I ended up having the wrong throw out bearing as well as a few other things. Not the end of the world, but it was definitely a letdown

hendelec likes this.
  16. What a drag it's been.
    Stabbed the motor in and something isn't right. Either my yoke on the trans isn't letting the torque tube slide in all the way, or I forgot to mockup everything with that center socket piece...either way I'm going to mess with it this week after work and figure out what I need to do.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1493063865.802197.jpg
    This thing is really taking it out of me, if it's not one thing it's another

OFT likes this.
  17. OFT

OFT

Hang in there! You'll figure out what's going on!!!

Earl

18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Are you running a stock A rear end? I am not sure but isn't the torque tube that works on the back of the V8 transmission different than an A torque tube? Could that be part of your issue with things not fitting together right? I don't know for sure but I thought they were different. Looking good and I cant wait to see this car in person. I liked seeing it last fall. I have been following along since you started this swap. Are you going to make the Dirt drags or the Hill Climb?

19. Post your question and picture on fordbarn. You might be OK but it has been many years since I looked closely at that part of the car.

Charlie Stephens

20. So things are looking up. My good buddy Bryan from Deluxe was nice enough to help me solve my new problem.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

benchseat4speed likes this.
  21. We made (correction...he made) a 5" sleeve with about .001 of interference for a nice tight fit. Had to heat it up to even get it on. Material from the driveshaft and torque tube was removed and faced with his lathe and mill to make sure everything was square
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  22. Sorry for the lack of updates, been out of town for a while but plan on hitting it hard this week.
    Haven't put the rear back in yet but I have been taking the banger out since it seems to be driving pretty good.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Outback, Never2low, 30 AV8 and 2 others like this.
  23. Love the build , also Love Old Punk Rock, Keep up the great work

carbed87 and Outback like this.
  24. Ben Hall

Ben Hall
    from Adelaide

Great Build so far!
    Keep it up

25. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

26. Never2low

Never2low

This is my new favorite picture. :)
    Unfinished chop.
    Banger.
    Black walls/black wires.
    Splash aprons.
    No door cards.
    Old green vinyl seat.
    A very subtle, dark OE color.
    An A grill!
    And driving the piss out of it in the rain!

THIS is the embodiment of what this forum is all about! Perfection!

metalhead140, brEad, Outback and 2 others like this.
  27. Thanks for the words guys! this thread is a big motivator for me.

In the words of Frank Costanza; "I feel reborn, I'm like a Phoenix, rising from Arizona" lol

Anyway, shortened the rear wishbones and was able to get everything lubed up and put back together.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I left the welds a little proud because; 1) i think it will be a little stronger than gringing them flush, and 2) it'll be under the car and that doesn't bother me

I plan on doing the rear brake lines a little different. Instead of the junction ending up on the top of my torque tube, it will be on bottom. This will keep me from needing to do anything with that random crossmember I have in the middle of my frame.

Plans are to have the rear back in the frame for the final time by tonight.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Outback and Texas36 like this.
  28. Right on, motor is in...for good this time. Better news it that I'm able to barely squeeze a belt between the front crossmember and the crank pulley which will make belt changes tolerable.

There is some miscellaneous hardware that I need to track down, then make a little piece of brake line to finish out my revised rear brake lines.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul, Texas36 and Never2low like this.
  29. Got in the garage a bit this week. Painted some stuff that needed to be black again. I also am developing a game plan for my clutch linkage.

I'm not really sure if I'm missing anything, but it looks like I just need to shorten my little piece of linkage up a bit and I'll be golden right?

Guess we will see this weekend. Plans are to get the brakes going (again) now that I re routed my rear lines, then focus on getting that clutch linkage all good to go.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Outback likes this.
  30. Outback likes this.